K.R. Norman - Rhinoceros Horn (Sutta Nipata translation)

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

K.R. Norman - Rhinoceros Horn (Sutta Nipata translation)

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I've seen two copies of K.R. Norman's translation of the Sutta Nipata for sale... one with footnotes, and one without. The one with footnotes is more expensive than the one without.

A question to anyone who has read the copy with footnotes.... How insightful or useful are the footnotes, and would they justify the additional expense.

Thanks.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Paññāsikhara

Re: K.R. Norman - Rhinoceros Horn (Sutta Nipata translation)

Post by Paññāsikhara »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I've seen two copies of K.R. Norman's translation of the Sutta Nipata for sale... one with footnotes, and one without. The one with footnotes is more expensive than the one without.

A question to anyone who has read the copy with footnotes.... How insightful or useful are the footnotes, and would they justify the additional expense.

Thanks.

Metta,
Oh, definitely get the one with footnotes. :thumbsup: They are not usually geeky footnotes of philologic phlights of phancy, but basically amount to the different translations given by I B Horner and Walpola Rahula (I think it is those two, don't have book on hand right now). So, it is effectively three versions all together in one. Very useful and nice. Probably the only way to improve it would be to the Pali itself right there!
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Retro
As a matter of interest, where are they for sale?
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,

Excellent... thank you for the recommendation!

I've been meaning to get around to purchasing it, but when I go to do so, I always come across this hurdle and never get past it.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ben,

I can't remember :embarassed:

It was only after a comment that was made on a Facebook status post I'd done, that I even remembered I was going to ask the question!

Metta,
Ben

Post by Ben »

No problems Retro.
But if you do remember, please let me know.
If its affordable, I would be interested in making an incremental expansion of my meagre library!
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
bodom

Post by bodom »

Ben wrote:No problems Retro.
But if you do remember, please let me know.
If its affordable, I would be interested in making an incremental expansion of my meagre library!
Ben
It would be well worth the money. The only other translation i know of is by H. Saddhatissa and i was not at all impressed with the translation and meager foot notes.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

I have recently bought this, and it is a nice book. One note though: it is written in prose all the way through, which is not as charming. But there is much less ambiguity in meaning than, say, Thanissaro's, and so there is much less need of those commentary notes and explanation's that pepper verse translations.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

its the one i bought after Ajahn Dhammanando recomended it
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
pt1

Post by pt1 »

Ben wrote:Hi Retro
As a matter of interest, where are they for sale?
If I'm not mistaken, PTS has both for sale, the one with the notes being:
The Group of Discourses,
2nd ed., tr. K.R. Norman (with notes), 2001
ISBN 303 6 £35.75
And the one without notes being:
Paperback edition (without notes): The Rhinoceros Horn.
I can't seem to figure out what's the direct link to this, so please go to PTS translation page:
http://www.palitext.com/palitext/tran.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and then scroll down to around the middle of the page, "The Group of discourses" should be somewhere thereabout.

Best wishes