View of Mahayana/Vajrayana

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
theravada_guy

View of Mahayana/Vajrayana

Post by theravada_guy »

Greetings all,

Would Classical Theravada view the Mahayana and Vajrayana schools, sects, etc. heretics? If not, how are they labeled?
With mettā,

TG
retrofuturist

Re: View of Mahayana/Vajrayana

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I'm not sure of the English rendering, let alone the Pali original, but they would at least be regarded as "schismatic".

I look forward to hearing from our members more learned in the classical perspectives, the range of language that was used traditionally in relation to schismatic sects.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

EDIT: Oh poop. Does a new publication count here. I wasn't paying attention to the forum this was on.

I think at the time that these other schools of thought departed from the original dissension of the Buddha's teaching they would have been considered schismatic. This is mostly based on this from Thans "BCM1:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... .html#Sg10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To qualify as a schism, the division has to meet five criteria:

* 1) The Community is originally united, which means that it is composed of bhikkhus of common affiliation living in the same territory.
* 2) It contains at least nine bhikkhus.
* 3) It becomes involved in a dispute over any of eighteen grounds for a creating a schism. In other words, one of the sides advocates any of the following positions, explaining:

Dhamma as not-Dhamma;
not-Dhamma as Dhamma;
Vinaya as not-Vinaya;
not-Vinaya as Vinaya;
what was not spoken by the Buddha as having been spoken by him;
what was spoken by the Buddha as not;
what was not regularly practiced by him as having been regularly practiced by him;
what was regularly practiced by him as not;
what was not formulated by him as having been formulated by him;
what was formulated by him as not;
an offense as a non-offense;
a non-offense as an offense;
a heavy offense as a light offense;
a light offense as heavy;
an offense leaving a remainder (i.e., not a pārājika) as an offense leaving no remainder (§);
an offense leaving no remainder as an offense leaving a remainder (§);
a serious offense as not serious; or
a not-serious offense as serious.
* 4) There are at least four bhikkhus on either side.
* 5) The dispute reaches the point where the two sides conduct separate Pāṭimokkha recitations, Invitation ceremonies, or other Community transactions within the same territory.
I think the Mahayana and Vajrayana schools would no longer be considered schisms, because of the time and locational distances involved.
Ben

Post by Ben »

A reminder...
Posts that do not conform to the strict criteria of the Classical Theravada forum are deleted without warning.
However interesting a Mahayanist or Vajrayanist pov is, its off-topic in this forum.
Repeat offenders may attract disciplinary action.
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

AN 2.23: Abhasita Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Monks, these two slander the Tathagata. Which two? He who explains what was not said or spoken by the Tathagata as said or spoken by the Tathagata. And he who explains what was said or spoken by the Tathagata as not said or spoken by the Tathagata. These are two who slander the Tathagata."
Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I believe there is something from Uttaravipatti Sutta AN.IV.163 that addresses this:

"Whatever is well-spoken [subhasita], all that is the word of the Buddha [Buddhabhasita]."

_/|\_
_/|\_
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Dan74 wrote:I believe there is something from Uttaravipatti Sutta AN.IV.163 that addresses this:

"Whatever is well-spoken [subhasita], all that is the word of the Buddha [Buddhabhasita]."

_/|\_
Yes; however, what determines what is "well-spoken?"
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

tiltbillings wrote:
Dan74 wrote:I believe there is something from Uttaravipatti Sutta AN.IV.163 that addresses this:

_/|\_
And the answer is ?
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Kare

Post by Kare »

tiltbillings wrote:

_/|\_
Since the 37 bodhipakkhiyadammas are common to all schools of Buddhism (according to Warder: Indian Buddhism, p. 81), it may perhaps be reasonable to suppose that any saying that is conforming with these dhammas, is "well-spoken". R.M.L. Gethin: The Buddhist Path to Awakening contains a detailed study of these bodhipakkhiyadhammas.
Mettāya,
Kåre
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

And the answer is...... drumbeat.....

.....whatever is conducive to enlightenment!

(bet you didn't see that one coming!)

This is mentioned both in Cullavaga of the Vinaya and in the Anguttara Nikaya (according to Williams p. 42). I am no scholar and most of the references I would mention are not appropriate for this forum, but the point was simply to say that the Buddha may not have intended for the Canon to have been closed with the parinibbana. After all quite a number of discourses in the Nikayas were given by the Buddha's disciples (and approved by the Buddha), so he may have left a possibility for other arahats after the parinirvana to continue to explain the Dhamma and to make some of these explanations canonical. And the sutta I cite above appears (to me) to support that.

But I am no scholar (as you know).

_/|\_

PS But Kare is, and he appears to have beat me to the punch, although I don't know what the 37 bodhipakkhiya dhammas are (factors conducive to enlightenment??)

PPS With apologies, I will bow out of this discussion, since my learning of Classical Theravada is not going to be enough to keep up.
_/|\_
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Although the 37 are common to all schools, they are usually only used as further expressions of the path. I think at least we'd need to include the other three truths, too, wouldn't we?

Those definitions from the Pali Vinaya above, could be used - by those inclined to literal meanings - to justify each and any school considering every other school schismatic. Personally, such an attitude would probably exacerbate any problems or differences in understanding.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Kare

Post by Kare »

Paññāsikhara wrote:Although the 37 are common to all schools, they are usually only used as further expressions of the path. I think at least we'd need to include the other three truths, too, wouldn't we?
Yes, of course. But they are already included ... in Right View.
Mettāya,
Kåre
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Dan74 wrote:And the answer is...... drumbeat.....

.....whatever is conducive to enlightenment!.
That is the real question: What, outside of the Buddha's teachings, is conducive to awakening?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Kare wrote:
Paññāsikhara wrote:Although the 37 are common to all schools, they are usually only used as further expressions of the path. I think at least we'd need to include the other three truths, too, wouldn't we?
Yes, of course. But they are already included ... in Right View.
Okay, that is one way of looking at it. Kind of leads to having those three other truths already in the fourth truth, but that's not an insurmountable problem.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

tiltbillings wrote:
Dan74 wrote:And the answer is...... drumbeat.....

.....whatever is conducive to enlightenment!.
That is the real question: What, outside of the Buddha's teachings, is conducive to awakening?
Hmmm... Not really possible to answer this question and remain within the terms of the Classical Theravada forum. At least not for me.

So I will maintain the (ig)noble silence. :sage:

_/|\_
_/|\_