Time: Q&A: Is there life after death?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Lazy_eye

Re: Time: Q&A: Is there life after death?

Post by Lazy_eye »

Since the term "death" raises various problems, perhaps a more exact way of formulating the question would be "do NDEs suggest/show that consciousness can continue without a physical base"?

Otherwise it would be easy to get caught up in a game of definitions.

A strong answer ("shows" rather than "suggests") would require us to exclude any possibility of a physical explanation. Is that the case here? There may be much about the brain we don't yet understand, and our observations could be faulty.
Parth

Post by Parth »

Could it be that what is referred to as a stage of after life is one of the 32 bhumis is outlined by the Buddha ? since anyways nobody stays in afterlife forever. But don't know for sure since my experience of vipassana tells me that there actually nano second to nano second death and living so the process of death should be similar.

But this probably is one of the greatest mysteries. Would want to read some good books on afterlife if somebody suggests. This mystery otherwise I guess can get resolved only at the stage of sakdagami since along with this 2nd experience of nibbana one also gets past life memories.

Metta

Parth
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Lazy_eye wrote:Since the term "death" raises various problems, perhaps a more exact way of formulating the question would be "do NDEs suggest/show that consciousness can continue without a physical base"?
The problem is that NDE's are near death experience. The body has not actually died. Memories of OOBE's might have been physically got when the body was temporary in coma, or when the body has restarted.

Did anyone return after real death of the body and tell scientists "I am ok!". Were such cases ever reported and confirmed?