Vinaya & mindfulness

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Cittasanto

Vinaya & mindfulness

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi All
Where does the Buddha say what the Vinaya is for?

I have seen in a couple of places that The Buddha is suppost to of said that the Vinaya is for developing mindfulness but do not know the source.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
bodom

Re: Vinaya & mindfulness

Post by bodom »

For the excellence of the Sa"ngha, for the comfort of the Sa"ngha, for the restraint of evil-minded men, for the ease of well-behaved monks, for the restraint of the cankers belonging to the here and now,for the combating of the cankers belonging to other worlds, for the benefit of those who lack faithful commitment, for the increase in the number of those who have faithful commitment, for the establishing of the True Dhamma (saddhamma-), for following the rules of restraint (vinayaanuggahaaya) (Vin.III.21).

There are...acts with damaging consequences that, when performed unintentionally, reveal carelessness and lack of circumspection in areas where a person may reasonably be held responsible. Many of the rules dealing with the proper care of communal property and one's basic requisites fall in this category...the minor rules that do carry such penalties may be regarded as useful lessons in mindfulness (Thanissaro 1994, pp. 24-25).

:anjali:
Last edited by bodom on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Bodom,
thanks, but it wasn't that one I was looking for, I believe it is said to Ananda that the Vinaya is for the development of mindfulness, but the only site I know that possibly had a reference to the source is gone now, and have no Idea where else a source is mentioned.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
bodom

Post by bodom »

Manapa wrote:Hi Bodom,
thanks, but it wasn't that one I was looking for, I believe it is said to Ananda that the Vinaya is for the development of mindfulness, but the only site I know that possibly had a reference to the source is gone now, and have no Idea where else a source is mentioned.
Hmm I'll have to do some research then. Sorry!

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi,
Which Thanissaro Book is that in, BMC?

it was on evinaya but that site was left abandoned and allowed to close with geosites, and the closest mention of sorts is on buddhamind, which links your initial quote to mindfulness, I am hoping I didn't dream it like brians mother and the balm! (Life of Brian for you uneducated blasphemers :tongue: )

John Stuart Mill
bodom

Post by bodom »

Manapa wrote:Hi,
Which Thanissaro Book is that in, BMC?

it was on evinaya but that site was left abandoned and allowed to close with geosites, and the closest mention of sorts is on buddhamind, which links your initial quote to mindfulness, I am hoping I didn't dream it like brians mother and the balm! (Life of Brian for you uneducated blasphemers :tongue: )
Vinaya Principles for Assigning Degrees of Culpability By Peter Harvey

http://www.buddhistethics.org/6/harvey991.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- BB
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

not sure but think this may be the source, if I, or another dreamt it?

AN 5.114
PTS: A iii 138
Andhakavinda Sutta
"'Come, friends, be virtuous. Dwell restrained in accordance with the Patimokkha, consummate in your behavior & sphere of activity. Train yourselves, having undertaken the training rules, seeing danger in the slightest faults.' Thus they should be encouraged, exhorted, & established in restraint in accordance with the Patimokkha.

"'Come, friends, dwell with your sense faculties guarded, with mindfulness as your protector, with mindfulness as your chief, with your intellect self-protected, endowed with an awareness protected by mindfulness.' Thus they should be encouraged, exhorted, & established in restraint of the senses.

John Stuart Mill
bodom

Post by bodom »

I found this in The Heart of Buddhist Meditation pg.152

The Purpose of the Moral Rules

"Those salutary rules of morality proclaimed by the exalted one, for what purpose, brother Ananda, has he proclaimed them?"

-"Well said, brother Bhaddha, well said! Pleasing is your wisdom, pleasing your insight, excellent is your question!

"Those salutary rules of morality proclaimed by the exalted one, were proclaimed by him for the sake of cultivating the four foundations of mindfulness." (S.47,21)

- BB
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

THANK-YOU :hug:

John Stuart Mill
bodom

Post by bodom »

Manapa wrote:THANK-YOU :hug:
You bet. I actually came across it on accident. When i read it I thought hey wait a minute. lol. Glad i could help.

- BB
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

What a stroke of luck!

there will always be a quote which no one else uses but coue to the same conclusion logically with other sources, but why jump through hoops when there is direct support.

John Stuart Mill