K.R Norman's Dhammapada translation

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
bodom

K.R Norman's Dhammapada translation

Post by bodom »

Has anyone read Norman's translation? He is an esteemed pali scholar and i am curious as to how his translation stands against the many others. I also understand this book is annotated and was wondering to what extent and how indepth? Many thanks.

http://www.pariyatti.org/Bookstore/prod ... cfm?PC=238" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
seanpdx

Re: K.R Norman's Dhammapada translation

Post by seanpdx »

bodom wrote:Has anyone read Norman's translation? He is an esteemed pali scholar and i am curious as to how his translation stands against the many others. I also understand this book is annotated and was wondering to what extent and how indepth? Many thanks.

http://www.pariyatti.org/Bookstore/prod ... cfm?PC=238" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't yet, but coincidentally, I did just order it. Should arrive any day now.
bodom

Post by bodom »

seanpdx wrote:
bodom wrote:Has anyone read Norman's translation? He is an esteemed pali scholar and i am curious as to how his translation stands against the many others. I also understand this book is annotated and was wondering to what extent and how indepth? Many thanks.

I haven't yet, but coincidentally, I did just order it. Should arrive any day now.
Great! Let me know what you think. I have already spent $60.00 on John Ross Carters Dhammapada translation and am a little reluctant to put out fifty more for another translation.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

bodom wrote:
seanpdx wrote:

Great! Let me know what you think. I have already spent $60.00 on John Ross Carters Dhammapada translation and am a little reluctant to put out fifty more for another translation.

Of course!

Haven't read his translation. Worth the money? What do you think of it?
bodom

Post by bodom »

seanpdx wrote:Haven't read his translation. Worth the money? What do you think of it?
Absolutely! It is a line by line translation of the Dhammapada along with its ancient sinhalese commentary. I have not come across a more indepth study on the Dhammapada than this text and i have read quite a few translations.

- BB
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

60 pages of translation, 120 pages of notes. Some of the notes are brief, some are more comprehensive. He states in the introduction that he quotes extensively from the grammatical section of the commentary without translation, but for those readers interested in a comprehensive look at the commentary, he points to Carter's work. His bibliography is about five pages, his introduction is about 20 pages.

Sections of the Introduction:
* The Dhammapada genre
* Parallel versions
* The arrangement of the verses
* The commentary
* The translation
* The title of the translation
* The metres of Dhammapada
* Metrical license
* Orthography and phonology

Follow the translation and notes is an index of words commented on, and an index of grammatical points discussed in the notes.

If you have any particular verse you'd like to see, I can give the translation and associated note so you can get a feel for it. My first impression is that, although I still like the readability of my personal favourite translation, this appears to be a really good critical translation, and the notes are quite useful.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Well thanks a lot now I have to put out $50 for yet another Dhammapada translation. :tantrum: But seriously thank you for your feedback, much appreciated. :toast: It definitely sounds worth the money.

- BB
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

bodom wrote:Well thanks a lot now I have to put out $50 for yet another Dhammapada translation. :tantrum: But seriously thank you for your feedback, much appreciated. :toast: It definitely sounds worth the money.

If I have helped to separate you from your hard-earned cash, then my work here is done! :woohoo:
I dig Norman, though. I have his translation of the sutta-nipata, and it's great.