A Fresh Start

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Collective

A Fresh Start

Post by Collective »

I have been asking questions about meditation. Specifically about breath meditation and awareness meditation. I don't understand (my fault) and I'm a bit confused now as to what I should do - or even what I want to do. I've mixed them up, so basically I want to start again from a fresh perspective.

Initially I thought I wanted just to relax, and I do. But now I am not so sure this is the best path. I know we should pput aside wants and cravings, but now I am thinking, if I can gain insight, that will also help me to relax, because after all, I am still sitting, breathing, and meditating.

So at the risk of sounding tedious, I would like to ask anew. Mainly: I would like to start afresh on awareness mediation.

What meditative technique must I practice to on my path to insight, to awaken?

Thank you all kindly, I do appreciate your patience. :namaste:
bodom

Re: A Fresh Start

Post by bodom »

In my opinion the following is the best introduction on why and how to meditate:

- Mindfulness In Plain English -

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Collective wrote:I have been asking questions about meditation. Specifically about breath meditation and awareness meditation. I don't understand (my fault) and I'm a bit confused now as to what I should do - or even what I want to do. I've mixed them up, so basically I want to start again from a fresh perspective.

Initially I thought I wanted just to relax, and I do. But now I am not so sure this is the best path. I know we should pput aside wants and cravings, but now I am thinking, if I can gain insight, that will also help me to relax, because after all, I am still sitting, breathing, and meditating.

So at the risk of sounding tedious, I would like to ask anew. Mainly: I would like to start afresh on awareness mediation.

What meditative technique must I practice to on my path to insight, to awaken?

Thank you all kindly, I do appreciate your patience. :namaste:
It doesn't really matter what technique you use, but if you do choose a technique it's best to stick with it until you've got a handle on it rather than chopping and changing all the time. The chopping and changing and the need to find the "perfect technique" is probably fuelled by restlessness, by the feeling that things aren't quite good enough, and this is the very thing one should be letting go of.

Watching the breath is the most common practice and I'd recommend you do this until you get comfortable with it, then think of trying other techniques.

What is more important than technique is attitude, which should be one of not expecting anything, acceptance, openness, giving up control. Meditation isn't so much about achieving something but of letting go of the mind that always wants to control, and achieve something.

If after a few years of doing this you still feel you aren't getting anywhere then maybe you should be concerned.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
zavk

Post by zavk »

Goofaholix wrote: It doesn't really matter what technique you use, but if you do choose a technique it's best to stick with it until you've got a handle on it rather than chopping and changing all the time. The chopping and changing and the need to find the "perfect technique" is probably fuelled by restlessness, by the feeling that things aren't quite good enough, and this is the very thing one should be letting go of.

Watching the breath is the most common practice and I'd recommend you do this until you get comfortable with it, then think of trying other techniques.

What is more important than technique is attitude, which should be one of not expecting anything, acceptance, openness, giving up control. Meditation isn't so much about achieving something but of letting go of the mind that always wants to control, and achieve something.

If after a few years of doing this you still feel you aren't getting anywhere then maybe you should be concerned.
:goodpost:

I would add to this by suggesting that you attend a retreat/course if possible. If not, try to attend a group session every now and then if possible. When starting out, it helps to have support and encouragement. We can certainly offer some of that here online, but having some physical interaction with other practitioners is really helpful.
With metta,
zavk
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

Collective,

In addition to books and classes, I've found audio talks very helpful. In particular, some guided meditations are most helpful. One of my favorites is by Andrea Fella and it is available here: http://www.audiodharma.org/talks-andrea.html. It's titled "Mindfulness of the Body: Guided Meditation" and is dated 3/19/09. I found it a good balance of relaxation and an introduction to breath meditation.

Regards: AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Goofaholix wrote: It doesn't really matter what technique you use, but if you do choose a technique it's best to stick with it until you've got a handle on it rather than chopping and changing all the time. The chopping and changing and the need to find the "perfect technique" is probably fuelled by restlessness, by the feeling that things aren't quite good enough, and this is the very thing one should be letting go of.
I agree. Pick a teacher, either in "real life" or in books/internet/etc, and stick with it.
e.g.
For "Mahasi-style 'insight' meditation": http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... read#p6695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For a more Samatha-oriented approach: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 019#p43505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
Collective

Post by Collective »

So many options.

I want to achieve insight, but not sure if that comes with just observing breath.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Collective wrote:So many options.

I want to achieve insight, but not sure if that comes with just observing breath.

At first it seems like your just watching the breath. In time you will realize that you're really watching the mind. And doing that will bring insights. It is certain, just ask any meditating monk.
Butrfly_Nirvana

Post by Butrfly_Nirvana »

I don't know if this will help, but I found a suggested book here, Insight Meditation a Step-by-Step Guide, and it's a home study course/workbook. While I just got it today in the mail, it comes with the workbook (very easy to follow and understand), two meditation CDs (along with a booklet on how best to utilize them), and focus cards to help you with quick references to the lessons. It explains how to use the book in the best way as well. I'm only in the first lesson, and it suggests spending at least one week in each--which gives you the time to really learn and apply everything. I've scanned the whole workbook to get a feel of it, and I am very excited to use it. Maybe it will help you as well. I got it on Amazon.com for just $17 after shipping. I found it used, but never opened. This might be a good option for you....

Hope you find something that helps! I know it can be overwhelming to find your starting point, but after a lot of researching I found this to be my best bet for starting out. I plan on sticking with this course until I have learned and applied it completely. Even if that takes a couple years--I love it so far!

:meditate:
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

Butrfly_Nirvana wrote:I don't know if this will help, but I found a suggested book here, Insight Meditation a Step-by-Step Guide, and it's a home study course/workbook. While I just got it today in the mail, it comes with the workbook (very easy to follow and understand), two meditation CDs (along with a booklet on how best to utilize them), and focus cards to help you with quick references to the lessons. It explains how to use the book in the best way as well. I'm only in the first lesson, and it suggests spending at least one week in each--which gives you the time to really learn and apply everything. I've scanned the whole workbook to get a feel of it, and I am very excited to use it. Maybe it will help you as well. I got it on Amazon.com for just $17 after shipping. I found it used, but never opened. This might be a good option for you....

Hope you find something that helps! I know it can be overwhelming to find your starting point, but after a lot of researching I found this to be my best bet for starting out. I plan on sticking with this course until I have learned and applied it completely. Even if that takes a couple years--I love it so far!

:meditate:
great kit, great sugestion.
also as others have said, pick one teacher/style and stick with it.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
salmon

Post by salmon »

Collective wrote:So many options.

You certainly won't achieve any insights by asking everyone's opinion and advice but not actually starting. Understandably you are at your "window shopping" phase. But like many here have already advised, pick a method, take that leap of faith and stick to it. You'll never know whether it will work for you until you actually do it.

Good luck :hello:
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Pick a teacher , stick with it. Ideally the teacher should be made of flesh and blood and belong to a recognised school.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Collective wrote:So at the risk of sounding tedious, I would like to ask anew. Mainly: I would like to start afresh on awareness mediation. What meditative technique must I practice to on my path to insight, to awaken?
Sanghamitta wrote:Pick a teacher , stick with it. Ideally the teacher should be made of flesh and blood and belong to a recognised school.
Or be the Buddha ;)

:buddha2:

MN 10: Satipatthana Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
Sanghamitta wrote:Pick a teacher , stick with it. Ideally the teacher should be made of flesh and blood and belong to a recognised school.
Or be the Buddha ;)

MN 10: Satipatthana Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Failing that a representative of the third jewel.

The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Sanghamitta wrote:Failing that a representative of the third jewel.
The Buddha wins though, because he is both those things ;)

:buddha2: :buddha2:

... and since those who see the Dhamma see the Buddha...

:jumping:

In all seriousness, the above advice given by others is good. :thumbsup:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."