Meditation Issue

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
jcsuperstar

Re: Meditation Issue

Post by jcsuperstar »

a little late here but, how old are you? if you're still pretty young (30s and under) and not super big or had had major injuries you should be able to sit without any problems. if you hurt that's just because you haven't stretched those muscles enough. when ever people have wanted me to teach them meditation the first thing I've always said is sit cross legged as much as possible, when you eat, when you read, when you watch TV, just sit in the meditation position, get your body used to sitting and also if you're doing something you wont notice the pain so much. sitting in the meditation position is good for you, for your back, abs, legs. chairs, couches etc just make you weak, use those muscles!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

I did something similar to this once, but I didn't even set a time limit. Sometimes I would meditate for 30 seconds in bed before I went to sleep just so I could scratch it off my list for the day. But I still did it every day and kept momentum, as pathetic a momentum as it seemed. But over time those sessions grew into longer more "legitimate" periods of meditation.

-M
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

jcsuperstar wrote:a little late here but, how old are you? if you're still pretty young (30s and under) and not super big or had had major injuries you should be able to sit without any problems. if you hurt that's just because you haven't stretched those muscles enough. when ever people have wanted me to teach them meditation the first thing I've always said is sit cross legged as much as possible, when you eat, when you read, when you watch TV, just sit in the meditation position, get your body used to sitting and also if you're doing something you wont notice the pain so much. sitting in the meditation position is good for you, for your back, abs, legs. chairs, couches etc just make you weak, use those muscles!
I fall into this catagory yet can not sit cross legged! although I do agree, unless you have a specific issue, injury etc practice makes perfect.

now off to weigh myself! I was 13stone last time
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
salmon

Post by salmon »

If you really must sit on the floor, the other option is to prop you buttocks (not legs, just buttocks) up with a cushion. IE. sit on the edge of the cushion. That helps bring some of the stress off your pelvic joints too.
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~