How important is technique?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
meindzai

How important is technique?

Post by meindzai »

Well here's one for you.

I have to admit that I have jumped around when it comes to meditation methods, objects, techniques, etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I've even battled with the question of whether meditation is of any importance at all, or practical for a householder. Ultimately I've decided that it is, at least for me, but which one? Vipassana, samatha, Metta?

But even within any of those techniques there are a myriad of approaches. Focus on the breath - but where? Part of the breath or the whole of it? Make a mental note of sensations - but how vigorously, and what labels to use? Start with metta to yourself or...

Of course the answer to these questions is "ask your teacher." And the usual advise in terms of which technique to use is to stick with one - keep working on it. Don't keep changing techniques. Which is good advice, especially if you're just starting.

But the more I practice the more I can't help but wonder "Does it even matter?"

I don't mean to discourage anybody from whatever technique they are doing, but I myself am getting to a point where it seems like my mind is going to do it's thing, and the less I interfere the better. Insofar as the "effects" of my meditation, I generally notice that the only constant is really more=better. Meaning more time spent on the cushion and more consistency seem to be the key factors - not the technique.

When I first began to realize this I thought that maybe it was some influence remaining from my earlier days doing Zen, which tends to put less emphasis on "doing." But on further reflection it has a lot to do with the Suttas, since the Buddha tends to describe jhana as a result of things like sila and restraint and such, rather than any particular technique. When the Buddha describes the life of a monk going forth - he starts by describing their leaving the household, shaving their heads, practicing virtue, sense-restraint, and so forth, then sitting under a tree, attaining jhana, going through the higher jhanas, attaining the knowledges and becoming an arahant.

In particular the Cetana Sutta tells us that you don't have to do anything to attain jhana. It just happens when the conditions are right - conditions over which we do have influence - starting from virtue. And to me, meditation is sila. It is kind of hard to break the precepts when you're just sitting there.

I'm not advocating a particular position here or telling people to drop technique - especially when just starting. I just feel like we often need to be told what to *do* when we sit becuase we are so used to *doing* and this is where meditation techniques may be useful. Curious what other's thoughts are on this.

-M
Ben

Re: How important is technique?

Post by Ben »

Hi Meindzai

I'm from the other end of the experience spectrum, so to speak. I've been practicing the same technique I began with 24 years ago under the guidance of the same teacher and I imagine will continue to practice for the rest of my life. I think the whole point of learning a technique is to learn how to effortlessly observe and allow the necessary conditions for jhana or nana to manifest. The technique is mearly a tool that one uses to help develop the mental states of sammasamadhi and vipassana. Technique is important because it allows you to develop effortless observation and the more time you devote to a particular meditation technique, the more you develop in your practice and develop those mental qualities of sammasamadhi and nana. For a beginner I think technique is crucial.
In fact, the way I would describe my meditation, whether it be the samatha form of anapana or observing vedana, is 'not doing anything', not even reacting. In the words of Bob Dylan: just sitting here watching the river flow. The only meditation technique where I feel I might be doing rather than extending an equanimous awareness is the practice of metta bhavana and the sharing of merits. And that is probably because I find the generation of the mental states of metta, upekkha, mudita and karuna difficult.
I agree with you that an important aspect of meditative practice is putting the time in. Devoting yourself to the practice. I disagree that sila = meditation. Sila is ethical conduct which conditions samadhi and in turn panna. There are various forms of panna but the wisdom which is liberative is bhavana-maya-panna wisdom that arises from mental cultivation (practice). Samadhi is more than just the removal of hindrances.
Anyway, they're just my thoughts prior to meditating again.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
zavk

Post by zavk »

I don't think having a technique itself is a problem. The problem is that because of our conditioning, we modern folks add a lot of expectations to 'technique'. I like the question, 'Does it even matter?' But I would direct the question not so much at the technique itself but at the preconceptions and expectations I have of technique.

This has probably been mentioned before, but Ven. Analayo's book on the Satipatthana Sutta helped to loosened up some of my previous preconceptions about technique. Yet at the same time it also gave me a new appreciation of technique.
With metta,
zavk
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I agree with Ben to a large extent, but I feel it can be beneficial to try other techniques after a while, they may have a slightly different approach which may help. it isn't so much try every technique out there rather look at the style and see if it has any benefits to the established practice.

there are at the end of the day only so many ways we can watch the breath.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings meindzai,

Do you consider things like satipatthana or anapanasati to be "techniques", or by technique are you referring here exclusively to modern techniques?

(FWIW, satipatthana, complemented by some yoniso manasikara is my general approach to bhavana)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

In general it doesn't matter what technique a meditator chooses, what does matter much more is the attitude of the mind.

But when a technique is chosen meditators should keep at it long enough to get a handle on it. It's common for beginners to expect something to happen straight away and when it doesn't they blame the technique and want to try something else, this is a bad habit to get into. I think beginners should be encouraged to plug away at a technique for a few years and only deviate with the specific instructions of a teacher.

For experienced meditators technique is much less important and i think most experienced meditators gradually move more towards a techniqueless technique, and hopefully they also have enough awareness of when things are going off the rails and they need to reach into their toolkit and start using a technique for a while to restore balance.

Any technique can easily become a source of attachment, and can easily turn into a rut. I've been practicing with teachers who teach awareness of the awareness a lot these days and I notice a lot of students struggle to let go of the breath, they haven't realised they've got into a rut with it and it's not the breath that's important it's the mind.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings meindzai,

Do you consider things like satipatthana or anapanasati to be "techniques", or by technique are you referring here exclusively to modern techniques?

Metta,
I feel the anapanasati sutta is a more straightforward meditation Sutta. I think the satipatthana is a huge list of phenomenah more than it is about bhavana. There are aspects that are suited to sitting meditation at least in the beginning, but then there are clearly things that are meant to be contemplation in action, and other aspects that seem more prescriptive or directed towards a particular goal such as eliminating lust.

Modern methods seem to be adapted from these two suttas, but I've tried using them directly just to see what would happen. Anapanasati I did step by step, meaning I would literally go from the first step in the first tetrad and actually work my way up in any one particular session. Though I tended to remain in the first tetrad or sometimes the first two "steps" of the second.

One I wrote an entire year calendar to focus on different aspects of the Satipathanna Sutta. I even blogged about it for 30 weeks or so before I ran out of steam and had some physical problems which prevented me from being able to do sitting meditation for awhile. http://bloggingthesatipatthana.blogspot ... ction.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was still a cool experiment.

-M
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings meindzai,

Well, you raise another interesting distinction... does a "technique" imply a particular posture?

I consider that I'm doing satipatthana as I type to you now. Right at this moment, the 3rd satipatthana on state of mind is predominant, but it could easily be (let me switch now to...) feeling or (let me switch now to...) bodily postures and fingers clacking on the keyboard.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings meindzai,

Well, you raise another interesting distinction... does a "technique" imply a particular posture?
I'd have thought the word "Technique" means a particular methodology packaged and taught as a methodology. So no, some teachers emphasises mindfulness of daily activities over and above any particular posture, and as that's a methodology that's a technique.

There's also the methodology of just sitting, so just a posture nothing else, and as that's a methodology that's a technique.

I wouldn't consider Satipatthana as a technique, though we have the Mahasi technique which is often called Satipatthana, that's a technique.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Goofaholix,
Goofaholix wrote:I'd have thought the word "Technique" means a particular methodology packaged and taught as a methodology.......

I wouldn't consider Satipatthana as a technique, though we have the Mahasi technique which is often called Satipatthana, that's a technique.
By that definition though, doesn't the fact that it was packaged as such in the Satipatthana Sutta by the Buddha qualify it as a technique?

I'm not trying to be tricky... I'm just trying to work out what we're actually talking about here.

Metta,
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

retrofuturist wrote: By that definition though, doesn't the fact that it was packaged as such in the Satipatthana Sutta by the Buddha qualify it as a technique?

I'm not trying to be tricky... I'm just trying to work out what we're actually talking about here.
I'd agree with Mendzai, it doesn't really read like a technique.

I think there are several techniques in there, and the general principles upon which techniques can be developed.
― Ajahn Chah
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

retrofuturist wrote:
Goofaholix wrote:I'd have thought the word "Technique" means a particular methodology packaged and taught as a methodology.......

By that definition though, doesn't the fact that it was packaged as such in the Satipatthana Sutta by the Buddha qualify it as a technique?
From Merriam-Webster (one of the best)...

1 : the manner in which technical details are treated (as by a writer) or basic physical movements are used (as by a dancer); also : ability to treat such details or use such movements <good piano technique>
2 a : a body of technical methods (as in a craft or in scientific research) b : a method of accomplishing a desired aim

I'd say 2b fills the bill...and thus, pretty important...
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

very important, though i have to add one caveat; the only technique that matters is the one that works for you.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Technique is important. The Buddha taught different meditation objects to suit different individuals. There are examples like that of Culapanthaka who could make no progress until given the right meditation object.

The Satipatthāna Sutta includes many different meditation techniques, including mindfulness of respiration, contemplation of the four elements, contemplation of the 32 body parts, and cemetery contemplations on dead bodies. It is not intended that we should practise all of these methods. The discourse was taught to a large assembly of monks and lay disciples, so it is a comprehensive discourse.

The introduction begins:
Ekāyano ayaṃ, bhikkhave, maggo sattānaṃ visuddhiyā, sokaparidevānaṃ samatikkamāya, dukkhadomanassānaṃ atthaṅgamāya, ñāyassa adhigamāya, nibbānassa sacchikiriyāya, yadidaṃ cattāro satipaṭṭhānā.
This is the only way, monks, for the purification of beings, for the transcendence of grief and lamentation, for the extinction of pain and sorrow, for attaining the right method, for the realisation of nibbāna, that is to say, the four foundations of mindfulness.

By "the only way" (ekāyano maggo) or "the direct way" one should understand that there is no way other than the Noble Eightfold Path, or that there is no way to attain the goal without firmly establishing mindfulness of the body, feelings, thoughts, and mental states through being ardent (ātāpī), clearly comprehending (sampajāno) and mindful (satimā).

Attaining the right method (ñāyassa adhigamāya) can be compared to acquiring the skill to keep the mind in perfect balance, like learning to ride a bike. You keep wobbling this way and that until you learn the right way to stay on and keep pedalling.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The Satipatthāna Sutta includes many different meditation techniques, including mindfulness of respiration, contemplation of the four elements, contemplation of the 32 body parts, and cemetery contemplations on dead bodies. It is not intended that we should practise all of these methods.
I find this view difficult to reconcile with the opening of the sutta.
Thanissaro Bhikkhu's translation wrote:The Blessed One said this: "This is the direct path for the purification of beings, for the overcoming of sorrow & lamentation, for the disappearance of pain & distress, for the attainment of the right method, & for the realization of Unbinding — in other words, the four frames of reference. Which four?

"There is the case where a monk remains focused on the body in & of itself — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world. He remains focused on feelings... mind... mental qualities in & of themselves — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world.
Nyanasatta Thera's translation wrote:This is the only way, monks, for the purification of beings, for the overcoming of sorrow and lamentation, for the destruction of suffering and grief, for reaching the right path, for the attainment of Nibbana, namely, the four foundations of mindfulness. What are the four?

Herein (in this teaching) a monk lives contemplating the body in the body,1 ardent, clearly comprehending and mindful, having overcome, in this world, covetousness and grief; he lives contemplating feelings in feelings, ardent, clearly comprehending and mindful, having overcome, in this world, covetousness and grief; he lives contemplating consciousness in consciousness,2 ardent, clearly comprehending and mindful, having overcome, in this world, covetousness and grief; he lives contemplating mental objects in mental objects, ardent, clearly comprehending and mindful, having overcome, in this world, covetousness and grief.
Soma's translation wrote:Then the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus as follows: "This is the only way, O bhikkhus, for the purification of beings, for the overcoming of sorrow and lamentation, for the destruction of suffering and grief, for reaching the right path, for the attainment of Nibbana, namely, the Four Arousings of Mindfulness."

"What are the four?

"Here, bhikkhus, a bhikkhu lives contemplating the body in the body, ardent, clearly comprehending (it) and mindful (of it), having overcome, in this world, covetousness and grief; he lives contemplating the feelings in the feelings, ardent, clearly comprehending (them) and mindful (of them), having overcome, in this world, covetousness and grief; he lives contemplating consciousness in consciousness, ardent, clearly comprehending (it) and mindful (of it), having overcome in this world covetousness and grief; he lives contemplating mental objects in mental objects, ardent, clearly comprehending (them) and mindful (of them), having overcome, in this world, covetousness and grief."
... or for that matter, the conclusion of the sutta.

The "he" in these translations seems to practice all four.
soma wrote:"O bhikkhus, should any person maintain the Four Arousings of Mindfulness in this manner for seven years...
Nyanasatta wrote:Verily, monks, whosoever practices these four foundations of mindfulness in this manner for seven years...
Thanissaro wrote:"Now, if anyone would develop these four frames of reference in this way for seven years...
Perhaps there's some grammatical nuance that was lost in translation?

Metta,