Noah Levine

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Noah Levine

Postby negative.pixel » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:08 am

I was wondering if anyone here was first exposed to Buddhism by Noah ro his books; or if anyone knows much about him.
negative.pixel
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:07 am

Re: Noah Levine

Postby bodom » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:12 am

negative.pixel wrote:I was wondering if anyone here was first exposed to Buddhism by Noah ro his books; or if anyone knows much about him.


Dharma Punx was one of the first books on Buddhism I had read. It was like reading my own autobiography. He is an excellent teacher for the younger generation of Buddhists.

http://www.dharmapunx.com/

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
User avatar
bodom
 
Posts: 4580
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Noah Levine

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:54 am

:soap:
i was in the punk scene in the 90s touring with bands, writing for zines, publishing zines etc, his idea of punk to me and to many of the bands associated with it( i know this cause we've had a good laugh at his description of the scene) is not punk, its just thuggery, violence and substance abuse. he does the whole scene a disservice really.

his actions in teaching dharma and meditation prior to being qualified also make him somewhat suspect in my book

i see him as a spoiled kid of somewhat famous new-age parents who went "off track" then used his parents connections to break into the spirituality scene
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
User avatar
jcsuperstar
 
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:15 am
Location: alaska

Re: Noah Levine

Postby bodom » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:05 am

He is trained to teach by Jack Kornfield of Spirit Rock Meditation Center in Woodacre, CA. Im interested what your source is for the statement concerning his teaching before being qualified. I couldn't find any info regarding this.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
User avatar
bodom
 
Posts: 4580
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Noah Levine

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:17 am

look at the timeline of his activities, he had his little cult of personality going prior to training with kornfield
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
User avatar
jcsuperstar
 
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:15 am
Location: alaska

Re: Noah Levine

Postby bodom » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:32 am

jcsuperstar wrote:look at the timeline of his activities, he had his little cult of personality going prior to training with kornfield


Im sensing a little hostility here lol. Im not sure about the whole time line thing, but honestly this is the fist ive heard anything suspect about him. He leads retreats all over im sure something would have came to light by now.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
User avatar
bodom
 
Posts: 4580
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Noah Levine

Postby Clayton » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:23 am

I remember in one of his talks he talked about how he started a study group when he was 7 years into practice instead of waiting 10 years like was expected. (I think I am remembering this correctly.) I enjoy his teachings I find his talks kind of run together... but he has a good message. I think he has brought buddhism to people who would otherwise never have heard of it.

With metta,

Clayton
Clayton
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Noah Levine

Postby pilgrim » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:09 am

jcsuperstar wrote::soap:
i was in the punk scene in the 90s touring with bands, writing for zines, publishing zines etc, his idea of punk to me and to many of the bands associated with it( i know this cause we've had a good laugh at his description of the scene) is not punk, its just thuggery, violence and substance abuse. he does the whole scene a disservice really.

his actions in teaching dharma and meditation prior to being qualified also make him somewhat suspect in my book

i see him as a spoiled kid of somewhat famous new-age parents who went "off track" then used his parents connections to break into the spirituality scene

How does one "qualify to teach?". This concept is alien to Theravada. Theravadins just share whatever they know or when asked to do so. This is unlike Vajrayana where one can't teach unless authorised by one's teacher (I think).
User avatar
pilgrim
 
Posts: 934
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Noah Levine

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:24 am

pilgrim wrote:
jcsuperstar wrote::soap:
i was in the punk scene in the 90s touring with bands, writing for zines, publishing zines etc, his idea of punk to me and to many of the bands associated with it( i know this cause we've had a good laugh at his description of the scene) is not punk, its just thuggery, violence and substance abuse. he does the whole scene a disservice really.

his actions in teaching dharma and meditation prior to being qualified also make him somewhat suspect in my book

i see him as a spoiled kid of somewhat famous new-age parents who went "off track" then used his parents connections to break into the spirituality scene

How does one "qualify to teach?". This concept is alien to Theravada. Theravadins just share whatever they know or when asked to do so. This is unlike Vajrayana where one can't teach unless authorised by one's teacher (I think).


its not really alien!
Ajahn Chah didn't allow sumedho to teach until his 5th Vassa, if someone is still in training they don't teach.
Sharing an experiance or a possible insight isn't the same as teaching, and there is the 'in training' period for monastics, and the same would be true for laity.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
User avatar
Cittasanto
 
Posts: 5688
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Ellan Vannin

Re: Noah Levine

Postby withoutcolour » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:47 am

I read Dharma Punx (which although having a good message and being a good story, was a little bit of a whine-fest).
I also listen to Levine's dharma talks, which I enjoy. His relaxed way of explaining things (while remaining true to the dharma) is informative and can be amusing. I like how he refers to the Buddha as "Sid" and his followers as "his homies", haha. He definitely has respect for the Buddha and the dharma, but doesn't take himself too seriously.
But he is not my one source for the dharma, I use his talks to supplement my other teachings. His talks are just a nice relief from some of the more serious brain-bending talks.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu
User avatar
withoutcolour
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Noah Levine

Postby AnonOfIbid » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:43 pm

jcsuperstar wrote::soap:
i was in the punk scene in the 90s touring with bands, writing for zines, publishing zines etc, his idea of punk to me and to many of the bands associated with it( i know this cause we've had a good laugh at his description of the scene) is not punk, its just thuggery, violence and substance abuse. he does the whole scene a disservice really.

his actions in teaching dharma and meditation prior to being qualified also make him somewhat suspect in my book

i see him as a spoiled kid of somewhat famous new-age parents who went "off track" then used his parents connections to break into the spirituality scene


I ABSOLUTELY AGREE
AnonOfIbid
 

Re: Noah Levine

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:35 am

Greetings,

In light of the recently tightened guidelines around the Discovering Theravada forum, there is nothing further to be obtained through this discussion.

Discussing Noah Levine is not discovering Theravada.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)


Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7


Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14629
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia


Return to Discovering Theravāda

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests