Bhante Vimalaramsi

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
jcsuperstar

Bhante Vimalaramsi

Post by jcsuperstar »

anyone have any personal experience with this monastic?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
thecap

Re: Bhante Vimalaramsi

Post by thecap »

Bhante Vimala seems quite OK. I share his preference for the original teachings of the Buddha in the Majjhima Nikaya.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

the reason i ask is i'm reading his book, and i have been considering going down to dhammasukha this summer for a retreat.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
thecap

Post by thecap »

Sounds like a plan. If his book agreed with you and you have the possibility, why not. He will lead you to Nibbana.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

thecap wrote:, why not. .
this is why i'm asking for personal experiences
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

thecap

Post by thecap »

I haven't met him personally yet, but the people who had met him have made only positive remarks.
However, as he has an unconventional teaching style drawing directly from the Suttas, it is best to gather your own impression:
Some worthwhile talks>
Dependent Origination w/ Bhante Vimalaramsi
Vipassana Vs the Suttas - Which is Right?
Jack

Post by Jack »

He has a unique interpretation that is not shared by other teachers that I know about. He is also very attached to his own views and feels they are the only correct ones being taught.

This isn't to say that you might get a lot out of his teachings.

Jack
thecap

Post by thecap »

Hi Jack

Have you personally met him?

Do you have any base for your accusations, or are you just gossiping?
Jack wrote:He has a unique interpretation that is not shared by other teachers that I know about.
What about Buddha for a unique teacher?

jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

thecap wrote:Hi Jack

Have you personally met him?

Do you have any base for your accusations, or are you just gossiping?
Jack wrote:He has a unique interpretation that is not shared by other teachers that I know about.
What about Buddha for a unique teacher?

i don't think jack has to have met him to form this opinion, as Bhante clearly states in his book that other teachers aren't teaching meditation the way the Buddha intended. though his instructions so far remind me a bit of lp Buddhadasa (who bhante vimalarmsi says he practiced with)
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

thecap

Post by thecap »

jcsuperstar wrote:i don't think jack has to have met him to form this opinion, as Bhante clearly states in his book that other teachers aren't teaching meditation the way the Buddha intended.
That is true, my friend.

However, Jack didn't substantiate whether Bhante V's statements were true or not.

Bhante V gave plenty reasons why there doesn't seem to be anyone else at this time who is teaching "correct" Anapansati including the relaxation step.

That doesn't mean other teachings are "wrong" and only this is "right".

It's a statement with reference to the ancient Anapanasati Sutta and modern Vipassana Meditation, respectively, which are two different pairs of shoes.

Have you ever considered that Bhante V may have a point there?

Last edited by thecap on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.
cooran

Post by cooran »

I really, really don't think this type of discussion should be on-list.

Why not go to Private Message?
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
thecap

Post by thecap »

cooran wrote:I really, really don't think this type of discussion should be on-list.

Why not go to Private Message?
Hi cooran. I think there are people who will benefit from an open discussion.

And there are probably others would will simply make up their own mind and go about their way.

Why do you think this discussion should go unseen by the public, my friend?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Is that his apparently unnoticed step? I thought it was smiling.
thecap wrote:
jcsuperstar wrote:i don't think jack has to have met him to form this opinion, as Bhante clearly states in his book that other teachers aren't teaching meditation the way the Buddha intended.
That is true, my friend.

However, Jack didn't substantiate whether Bhante V's statements were true or not.

Bhante V gave plenty reasons why there doesn't seem to be anyone else at this time who is teaching "correct" Anapansati including the relaxation step.

That doesn't mean other teachings are "wrong" and only this is "right".

It's a statement with reference to the ancient Anapanasati Sutta and modern Vipassana Meditation, respectively, which are two different pairs of shoes.

Have you ever considered that Bhante V may have a point there?

Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
cooran wrote:I really, really don't think this type of discussion should be on-list.
If venerable Vimalaramsi does indeed have a "teaching style drawing directly from the Suttas", as thecap states above, then I for one would certainly be more interested in hearing more about what and how he teaches. Not interested in "gossip", but details about his approach and what makes it unique.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

His Barebones instruction on Anapanasati
http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... nasati.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
two bellow Pa Auk Sayadaw next to Ajahn Sumedho
http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill