Why I Came Here

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
locusphor

Why I Came Here

Post by locusphor »

Hey All,

My name is Rob. After struggling in isolation for what seemed like many years, I reached a point of white hot suffering in my life and through it received my first taste of awareness. It's been observed many times before, but I found out for myself living proof of the relationship between endless pain and eventual liberation.

While I was toiling by myself I can honestly say I hardly felt the need for community (sangha) at all. Sure I was alone, and I knew it. But from the moment of my liberation I knew something altogether different was tugging at my heart. I had to find a community. I think it has something to do with placing myself in situations where I can work on giving back and acting selflessly.

And so, one of the places I'm seeking fellowship is on the internet. I was hoping that other members in this group would help me with my learning. Specifically, I like reading books. Even more than reading though, I like sharing about books, searching for hidden messages, and listening to commentary from other members of the readership.

Thanks for having me. I look forward to sharing.

Rob. :group:
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Why I Came Here

Post by DNS »

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
Tex

Post by Tex »

Thanks for joining us, and welcome.

:toast:
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

HI
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Butrfly_Nirvana

Post by Butrfly_Nirvana »

Welcome!

There are a lot of great threads here with book suggestions! I think I'll be reading for the next year! :reading: :reading: :reading: lol

Enjoy the community!

:namaste:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
zavk

Post by zavk »

Hello and welcome!
With metta,
zavk
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Rob
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
nowheat

Post by nowheat »

locusphor wrote:Even more than reading though, I like sharing about books, searching for hidden messages, and listening to commentary from other members of the readership.
Welcome!

But oh dear! Well, in Buddhism there are lots of suttas to read if you enjoy going directly to the source, and the vagueries of 2,500-year-old tales handed down by humans for generations makes it rife with possibilities in searching for hidden messages.

:jumping: <-- me laughing at myself.

Join us in the Dhammic free-for-all's great rebirth thread, if you'd like a dose of it.

:namaste: