Howdy

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Howdy

Postby davcuts » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:33 am

I'm new here. I recognize a great many of you from e-Sangha. I have only studied Tibetan Buddhism, and would like to know more about Theravada. If anyone has any good "Introduction to Theravada Buddhism", books I'd much appreciate it. Also who or what is Buddhaghosa? Sorry I read it on another thread and I don't know who or what it is. Anyway it's great to be here.

Thanks,
davcuts, aka as Dave
davcuts

Re: Howdy

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:43 am

Greetings davcuts,

Excellent to see you here.

Buddhaghosa was a Sri Lankan commentator who collated, compiled and contribute to the Theravada commentarial tradition, approximately 1000 years after the Buddha.

As for introductions to Theravada Buddhism, check out the pinned Introductory Resources thread in the Discovering Theravada forum.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby davcuts » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:10 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings davcuts,

Excellent to see you here.

Buddhaghosa was a Sri Lankan commentator who collated, compiled and contribute to the Theravada commentarial tradition, approximately 1000 years after the Buddha.

As for introductions to Theravada Buddhism, check out the pinned Introductory Resources thread in the Discovering Theravada forum.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Thanks Retro, if I had taken the time to look through all the threads before posting I would have found this thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=383
See I'm already learning. And get this I learned that Zen is not Theravada Buddhism. Wow who knew? Probably everybody but me :cry:
davcuts

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:33 am

Hi davcuts :hello:
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Dhammanando » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:45 am

Hi Davcuts,

Thanks for joining us. :smile:

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
    ...and this thought arose in the mind of the Blessed One:
    “Who lives without reverence lives miserably.”
    Uruvela Sutta, A.ii.20

It were endless to dispute upon everything that is disputable.
    — William Penn Some Fruits of Solitude,
Dhammanando

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:32 am

:hello:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby bodom » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:32 pm

Welcome!

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby davcuts » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:25 pm

Thanks everyone for your kind welcome. I feel like I can ask questions here without being ridiculed. It's not the same at other groups. There you feel like you'll get a good scolding, maybe banning, if you say something out of line. Here it seems if you treat others with will respect, you'll get respect.

:bow: :bow: :bow:
davcuts

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi Dave :toast:
Ngawang Drolma.

Postby dumb bonbu » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:46 am

hi dave, in the same shoes as regards being new to Therevada. i'm finding In The Buddha's Words a great book to start with :twothumbsup:
Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding.
MN 21
dumb bonbu

Postby davcuts » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:49 am

Hi back at ya Drolma! It's good to see you here. :hug:

Thanks for the book recommendation dumb bonbu! I need all the help I can get. I have been wanting to look into Theravada for some time, but felt it was too complicated. It's good to know I'm not the only newbie to Theravada.
davcuts

Postby Tex » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:40 am

Nice to meet you.

;)
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby Jesse Smith » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:53 pm

davcuts wrote:Hi back at ya Drolma! It's good to see you here. :hug:

Thanks for the book recommendation dumb bonbu! I need all the help I can get. I have been wanting to look into Theravada for some time, but felt it was too complicated. It's good to know I'm not the only newbie to Theravada.

Welcome davcuts,

I've found Theravada to be uncomplicated, not easy, but uncomplicated. Maybe choosing a path or spiritual belief is like choosing a wife. You can choose the sexy, high maintenance girl you can't quite trust, just for the excitement or the trophy value. Or you can choose the simple good cook with healthy, child-bearing hips. ;)
Jesse Smith

Postby davcuts » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:35 pm

It's nice to meet you as well Tex. 8-)

Jesse what I find complicated is some of the terms used. Maybe a good Theravada dictionary would help me along. :lol:
davcuts

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:39 pm

davcuts wrote:It's nice to meet you as well Tex. 8-)

Jesse what I find complicated is some of the terms used. Maybe a good Theravada dictionary would help me along. :lol:

Me too! :hug:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=70&view=unread#unread
Ngawang Drolma.

Postby davcuts » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:19 am

Drolma wrote:
davcuts wrote:It's nice to meet you as well Tex. 8-)

Me too! :hug:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=70&view=unread#unread

Thanks Drolma, you're awesome! :twothumbsup: I had not even been to that thread. That's going to help me big time.

D
davcuts

Return to Introductions