Mind State at Death

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
shjohnk

Mind State at Death

Post by shjohnk »

Hello All,

What should be our focus as we are dying? I figure that we should aim to be as calm as possible and enter in to a meditative-like mindfulness as we draw our last breaths. What is said in the suttas about preparing to die and teh state of mind we should aim for? I remember one sutta where Anathapindika is given advice by the Buddha about how to prepare for death, but if I remember rightly it was mostly about not attaching to the body and dealing with pain etc. What about the actual moment of dying? Is the final mind state (death consciousness) the most important thing? I know that achieving stream entry should be our goal, but we can not depend on this!

I'd also like to ask people's opinions about what happens in the event of sudden death (the proverbial bus etc.): The way i understand it, if one has trained in mindfulness and cultivated their Sila, they maty still be able to generate a peaceful state as soon as they 'realise' they are dead, whereas non-practitioners may very well be in a confused state, leading to a danger of a low rebirth. I'd be grateful for any opinions, particularly backed up by suttas or other teachings! Cheers Dhamma friends :anjali:

John
Reductor

Re: Mind State at Death

Post by Reductor »

shjohnk wrote:Hello All,

What should be our focus as we are dying? I figure that we should aim to be as calm as possible and enter in to a meditative-like mindfulness as we draw our last breaths. What is said in the suttas about preparing to die and teh state of mind we should aim for? I remember one sutta where Anathapindika is given advice by the Buddha about how to prepare for death, but if I remember rightly it was mostly about not attaching to the body and dealing with pain etc.

What about the actual moment of dying? Is the final mind state (death consciousness) the most important thing? I know that achieving stream entry should be our goal, but we can not depend on this!
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anathapindika is dying, and Sariputta instructed not to cling, and what it is that he was not to cling too.

So I would think that the best mind state at death is one of detatched analysis, like insight meditation, with the aim of dispelling clinging altogether.

But since Anathapindika returns to the human realm after his death, as a Deva, it is safe to say that he was not completely successful. However, he is a Deva so that suggests a good rebirth for a person that dies while making such effort.

I'd also like to ask people's opinions about what happens in the event of sudden death (the proverbial bus etc.): The way i understand it, if one has trained in mindfulness and cultivated their Sila, they maty still be able to generate a peaceful state as soon as they 'realise' they are dead, whereas non-practitioners may very well be in a confused state, leading to a danger of a low rebirth. I'd be grateful for any opinions, particularly backed up by suttas or other teachings! Cheers Dhamma friends :anjali:

John
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shjohnk

Re: Mind State at Death

Post by shjohnk »

Thank you, thereductor :) Now to work on achieving that mindset!!!