monk? !

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
effort

monk? !

Post by effort »

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... .religion/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sanghamitta

Re: monk? !

Post by Sanghamitta »

Its exactly the kind of thing that has been tried by some Christian priests in the UK. It didnt work. They just lost all respect.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

It's a refusal to accept a very basic corollary fact of impermanance - that the Dhamma (as in the teachings) will eventually die out. They are clinging to some hope that by diluting the dhamma they can make it last longer. Kind of like filling 1/4th of a bottle of shampoo up with water and hoping it'll have the same cleaning power. (I know people who do this)

-M
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

meindzai wrote:It's a refusal to accept a very basic corollary fact of impermanance - that the Dhamma (as in the teachings) will eventually die out. They are clinging to some hope that by diluting the dhamma they can make it last longer. Kind of like filling 1/4th of a bottle of shampoo up with water and hoping it'll have the same cleaning power. (I know people who do this)
:rofl: sad but true...
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

meindzai wrote:It's a refusal to accept a very basic corollary fact of impermanance - that the Dhamma (as in the teachings) will eventually die out. They are clinging to some hope that by diluting the dhamma they can make it last longer. Kind of like filling 1/4th of a bottle of shampoo up with water and hoping it'll have the same cleaning power. (I know people who do this)

-M
Funny story. When my dad started dating my mom, he went to her house for dinner. She started making chili. Around the time she began pouring a can of water in with the chili, my dad gave her a funny look and asked her what she was doing. Her family didn't always have a lot of food to throw around (for all the mouths that needed to be fed), so that's how her mom made chili. Never occurred to her that most people don't add water to chili. True story. And on occasion, it's fun to reminder her of that. ;)
Guy

Post by Guy »

-M
I would say that it's worse than diluting the Dhamma, it's more like polluting the Dhamma. Break the five precept? sure, why not? "this is the way Buddhism was intended to be", as one "monk" said.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Guy wrote:I would say that it's worse than diluting the Dhamma, it's more like polluting the Dhamma.
I agree (FWIW)...a monk(?) serving booze?...pleeese...
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

appicchato wrote:
Guy wrote:I would say that it's worse than diluting the Dhamma, it's more like polluting the Dhamma.
I agree (FWIW)...a monk(?) serving booze?...pleeese...
Remember, in Japan, they do not have bhikkhu/ni ordination. So, making comparisons to a "monk" while thinking "bhikkhu" is a bit inappropriate.
Still, whoever they are, serving alcohol under the name of Buddhism is a quick way to destroy the Dharma, and a very ignorant thing to do.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Paññāsikhara wrote:Remember, in Japan, they do not have bhikkhu/ni ordination
True...hence my use of: (?)...i.e. monk (?)...

Although...someone behind the bar(mixing drinks), in monks robes, is indicative...

Be well... :smile:
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

appicchato wrote:
Paññāsikhara wrote:Remember, in Japan, they do not have bhikkhu/ni ordination
True...hence my use of: (?)...i.e. monk (?)...

Although...someone behind the bar(mixing drinks), in monks robes, is indicative...

Be well... :smile:
Sure, I understand what you mean.

Guess it means that those other monks who refrain from intoxicants and other harmful behavior, must continue to lead by example.

(By the way, love your new avatar picture - who is your little avian friend? :smile: )
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Paññāsikhara wrote:Guess it means that those other monks who refrain from intoxicants and other harmful behavior, must continue to lead by example.

(By the way, love your new avatar picture - who is your little avian friend? :smile: )

Couldn't agree more...

Thank you...visiting a friend of my sister's on my recent sojourn to America...this bird imitates, very well, anything anyone says...I couldn't believe it...fortunately he didn't leave anything when he took off...

By the way...is this the Venerable Huifeng?...if so, pardon my lack of proper etiquette...

:focus: