Bhikkhu Ñanananda

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Re: Bhikkhu Ñanananda

Postby poto » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:46 am

BlackBird wrote:Alright, I've uploaded both to rapidshare. Good news, both are for free distribution, and both look really good.

Venerable Bhikkhu K. Ñanananda - Towards calm and insight
http://rapidshare.com/files/334505800/N ... nsight.pdf

Venerable Bhikkhu K. Ñanananda - Seeing Through - A Guide to Insight Meditation
http://rapidshare.com/files/334505801/N ... tation.pdf

Gonna contact what-buddha-taught and see if they will upload these files

metta
Jack :heart:

Thanks for the share. :)
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
poto

Postby Paññāsikhara » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:48 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Alas, I don't know how to do torrents...

Go and download a Torrent client, like << http://www.utorrent.com/downloads >>, or << http://www.bittorrent.com/btusers/download >>, or << http://azureus.sourceforge.net/ >>.
Once downloaded and installed, when you run Torrent files like the one in the link, that software will run it.
From there, it is pretty easy. DIY in about 10 minutes, playing around with the Torrent software you've installed.
Though you may want to read up on who torrents are in the first place, though.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Paññāsikhara

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:00 am

Greetings bhante,

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind (whilst trying to avoid precept violations!)

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby rowyourboat » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:47 pm

Bikkhu Katukurunde Nananda is one of Sri Lanka's foremost meditative monks. He aparently lives in a little rock 'kuti' with a little rock bed like the arahanths of the past in Sri Lanka. He entertains guests very little and spends most of his time in seclusion. He does give meditation instructions for those who are serious and I know monks and nuns from all over sri lanka who visit him for instructions. He spent many years in quiet seclusion until one day his teacher invited him to talk on nibbana. This was followed by the 'nibbana' sermons which blew everyone away. He has another series known as the 'pahankanuwa sermons' denoting the place they were delivered from. But as far as I know they are in sinhalese. He is the epitome of monkhood for his practice, renunciation, humbleness, faith and wisdom.

:bow:
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Postby Bozworth » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:51 am

Thanks for sharing this. I'm already behind on my reading, but what the hell...
Bozworth

Postby jcsuperstar » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:49 am

thanks for making me buy more books
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Bhikkhu Ñanananda is cool

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:59 am

Greetings,

If anyone has been following this topic with one eye but has yet to check out any of the works of Bhikkhu Ñanananda or is waiting for texts to arrive in the mailbox, can I recommend investing a little bit of time to read this Dhamma Talk...

Nibbàna Sermon 22
http://www.beyondthenet.net/calm/nibbana22.htm

It's one of a long series, and each sermon feeds into the next, but I think in this sermon in particular, Bhikkhu Ñanananda really captures the profound essence of the Dhamma. At every turn, Bhikkhu Ñanananda turns an insightful eye to some of the deepest and revolutionary aspects of the Buddha's teaching. If you haven't read anything recently that's totally rocked your world, do yourself a favour and click on the link above.

:twothumbsup:

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby BlackBird » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Thanks Retro. There's something quite special about the way Bhante elucidates the Dhamma.

metta
"And so, because this Teaching is so different from what Westerners are accustomed to, they will try to adapt the Teaching to their own framework. What they need to learn to do is not to adapt the Teaching to their own point of view but to adapt their own point of view to the Teaching. This is called saddhá, or faith, and it means giving oneself to the Teaching even if the Teaching is contrary to one’s own preconceived notions of the way things are."- Ven Bodhesako

Nanavira Thera's teachings - An existential approach to the Dhamma | Ven. Bodhesako's essay on anicca
BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:11 pm

The two books listed above are now available for download on http://www.what-buddha-taught.net (down at the bottom) saving everyone the hassle of rapidshare.

metta
"And so, because this Teaching is so different from what Westerners are accustomed to, they will try to adapt the Teaching to their own framework. What they need to learn to do is not to adapt the Teaching to their own point of view but to adapt their own point of view to the Teaching. This is called saddhá, or faith, and it means giving oneself to the Teaching even if the Teaching is contrary to one’s own preconceived notions of the way things are."- Ven Bodhesako

Nanavira Thera's teachings - An existential approach to the Dhamma | Ven. Bodhesako's essay on anicca
BlackBird

Postby bodom » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:33 pm

jcsuperstar wrote:thanks for making me buy more books

Haha my thoughts exactly.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:57 am

Greetings,

Nibbana Sermons 1-25 can be downloaded as a single PDF from http://lirs.ru/do/sutra/Nibbana_Sermons,Nanananda.pdf

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:43 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Nibbana Sermons 1-25 can be downloaded as a single PDF from http://lirs.ru/do/sutra/Nibbana_Sermons,Nanananda.pdf

Metta,

Geez, only 809 pages.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.
"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby adeh » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:40 am

Great...thanks Retro.
adeh

Postby pt1 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:17 am

tiltbillings wrote:

Metta,

Geez, only 809 pages.

I remember the first time I got to Nibbana sermons a few years back when someone posted a link on e-sangha - I was so fascinated how good they were that I read them all in a just a few days. And then re-read them all for the second time, and they seemed even better. However, this then lead to an interesting result – at the end I started thinking that it would be fair to examine the commentaries which the venerable criticises in a few places just to make sure the critique wasn’t a strawman. So, I tried reading a few available commentaries, and of course couldn’t understand anything as it was all based on abhidhamma. So, then I started reading on abhidhamma - and well, that’s what I’ve been doing ever since - now I'm basically completely fascinated by abhidhamma and the commentaries.

Anyway, this was just meant to be a small cautionary tale to retro (as I know he’s not very keen on abhidhamma and commentaries) – fascination with Nibbana sermons can sometimes lead to unexpected results :tongue:

Best wishes
pt1

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:16 am

Greetings Tilt,

tiltbillings wrote:

Metta,

Geez, only 809 pages.

809 pages of genius.

:thumbsup:

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby jackson » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:02 pm

I read the one sermon you linked to Retro, I thought it was brilliant, but I'm not sure if I'd want to read the whole thing online. I tried to find the printed version of the book and apparently one exists but I'm not sure if it's in English or not and haven't been able to locate it. Anyway, does anyone know where I could get a hard copy of the Nibbana Sermons? Thanks!
Metta, :smile:
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah
jackson

Postby ESpellman » Wed May 05, 2010 9:28 pm

Last year I was in Sri Lanka meditating as a Layman and Bertie at the Buddhist Publication Society gave me a list of places around Kandy where I should go. After a month there, just before I was going to leave I stopped back by the BPS and Bertie said, "I was thinking about what we spoke of and I think there is one other monk you should try and find......" Well as luck would have it was the Uposotha and out in the jungle living beneath a huge boulder in a tin corrugated hut with a skeleton and a few bookcases of dhamma books was Nanananda.

I can say of all the monks I met in Sri Lanka he made the greatest impression, in his devotion to practice, his command of pali (which he was a lecturer in), and his very modern almost Burmese views of Dhamma. Truly a remarkable man following the path. I heard it said that he was considered somewhat unorthodox philosophically by the monastic establishment there in Sri Lanka, which would be a great shame it is true, because I encountered a monk capable of imparting the power and complexity of the dhamma simply and succintly. When I left, arms piled high with copies of all of Nananada's books, I asked if he took students... He laughed a kind laugh and said, "When would I have time to write my books?" Indeed upon returning to the states I began reading what Nanananda feels is his magnum opus the multi volume Sermons on Nibbana, at the time he told me the sixth (? I think) and final volume was nearly complete, and perhaps is by now. Having read everything available on Nananada's in English I am glad he chose to write rather than teach!

I am greatly heartened to see this thread interested in this fine monk.
ESpellman

Postby retrofuturist » Wed May 05, 2010 11:15 pm

Greetings ESpellman,

Wow, thanks for sharing your experiences and welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

Could you perhaps provide us with a list of venerable Ñanananda's books that you have? Unfortunately (perhaps due to his unorthodoxy with regards to some issues) it seems tricky to work out precisely what he has composed, as there is no consolidated list.

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby pt1 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:31 am

It seems this link hasn't been mentioned yet:
http://www.seeingthroughthenet.net/eng/home.php

Contains several of Venerable's electronic books in one place as well as other info.

Best wishes
pt1

Postby tiltbillings » Tue May 18, 2010 7:34 am

For those of you who have been reading the Samyutta Nikaya, reading Ven Nanananda's translation anthology of the Samyutta Nikaya is well worth the time, particularly for his footnotes. http://www.seeingthroughthenet.net/eng/ ... =other&p=1
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.
"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

PreviousNext

Return to Theravāda for the modern world