Women can't become Buddhas?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
kc2dpt

Re: Women can't be enlightened?

Post by kc2dpt »

Annabel wrote:It is well possible that "women can't be SammasamBuddhas" was added later.

Anybody Prove me wrong if you can.

Can you?
It is well possible that "there can be an end to suffering" was added later.

Anybody prove me wrong if you can.

Can you?
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Its easier to say that "there can be an end to suffering" was not added later as it is the foundation of the whole teaching.

:namaste:
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

This is one of those situations where I'm grateful that I'm such a noob.

When Chris explained this passage to me a while back at a different forum, I understood it as the Buddha was telling people how things were going to go. And she reminded me how many births we have in different forms. We already know that Maitreya will come here in male form, so I just said, "okay, cool." One thing I considered is, a logical reason that a female can't become a sammasambuddha is because of the condition of outer society, not a female's inner condition. From everything I've read in this thread it doesn't seem that the Buddha gave a lot of detail to explain what he said.

Like I said, being a noob sometimes makes it easier I think :toast:
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Drolma wrote:One thing I considered is, a logical reason that a female can't become a sammasambuddha is because of the condition of outer society, not a female's inner condition.
That is my supposition as well. Frankly I'm stumped as to why so many people in this thread assume it must have something to do with a person's inner condition. :shrug: Perhaps people get some sort of thrill being offended. :guns:
From everything I've read in this thread it doesn't seem that the Buddha gave a lot of detail to explain what he said.
Nor does it seem to have any impact whatsoever on how we are to develop our practice. It seems to me one can assume there's a good reason behind this teaching and move on with their lives, or one can assume there's a bad reason behind it and let it knock their practice off track. It's our choice. We're never going to know for sure either way.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Indeed. It's probably better to consider how we do or do not perpetuate a culture that leans towards male-domination (gosh I don't like that phrase) now and in the future, rather than focusing too much on the awesomeness of women. Certainly nobody disagrees about the awesomeness of females! :mrgreen:

Seriously though, if the Buddha said this is how it's going to go, I have to consider how I personally am adding to the situation. That sort of investigation might be fruitful for practice, insofar as insight, mindfulness and outer conduct. After all I am raising a little girl. This is good householder stuff.

:buddha2:
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Peter wrote:
Drolma wrote:One thing I considered is, a logical reason that a female can't become a sammasambuddha is because of the condition of outer society, not a female's inner condition.
That is my supposition as well. Frankly I'm stumped as to why so many people in this thread assume it must have something to do with a person's inner condition. :shrug: Perhaps people get some sort of thrill being offended. :guns:
From everything I've read in this thread it doesn't seem that the Buddha gave a lot of detail to explain what he said.
Nor does it seem to have any impact whatsoever on how we are to develop our practice. It seems to me one can assume there's a good reason behind this teaching and move on with their lives, or one can assume there's a bad reason behind it and let it knock their practice off track. It's our choice. We're never going to know for sure either way.
Frankly I'm stumped as to why so many people in this thread assume it must have something to do with a person's inner condition.
Nobody said that.
:shrug: Perhaps people get some sort of thrill being offended.
No. On the contrary. You were asked to stop twisting words around.

Please oblige.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Piotr,
piotr wrote:Isn't it also connected to the idea that one's vows can be fulfilled only when one has the same sex as when was making a vow?
Maybe. One of the eight conditions for a vow made before a Buddha to be effective is that one must be a male human at the time of making it. Having made it and received a prediction, from then on there are eighteen states he can never fall into. One of these eighteen is to change one's sex, but does this mean the Bodhisatta can never be born female or that he will never undergo a change of sex in the course of a life? I'm not sure about this.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Piotr,
piotr wrote:Isn't it also connected to the idea that one's vows can be fulfilled only when one has the same sex as when was making a vow?
Maybe. One of the eight conditions for a vow made before a Buddha to be effective is that one must be a male human at the time of making it. Having made it and received a prediction, from then on there are eighteen states he can never fall into. One of these eighteen is to change one's sex, but does this mean the Bodhisatta can never be born female or that he will never undergo a change of sex in the course of a life? I'm not sure about this.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
One of the eight conditions for a vow made before a Buddha to be effective is that one must be a male human at the time of making it.
Huh?

Care to explain? Which vows? Why shouldn't a woman be able to make an effective vow?

This makes no sense to me.

Are there also racial restrictions,or are just women declared inadequate?

Nicholas Weeks

Re: No record of Women Buddhas

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Have not read every post here, so apologies if this was mentioned.

Instead of arguing about Buddha's motives, whether he said what he said or it was tampered with, whether patriarchy rules etc.- why not just search the records for a female Buddha? There have been many buddhas before Gotama and there will be more. The next one will be male, as were all that came before, so far as I know of. The Jains (a non-theistic group) have a very long list of Tirthankaras - they were all male.

The Mahayana and Hinduism have very high avatars or bodhisattvas that are female - Tara & Parvati for example. But as far as Buddhas go, I am not aware of any females. (If one wants to add "yet" - feel free.)
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i think one of the jain Tirthankaras was female

19th Tirthankar, Malli Nath,

oh and it seems only one sect of jains believes it
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

Annabel wrote:
Dhammanando wrote:Hi Piotr,

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
One of the eight conditions for a vow made before a Buddha to be effective is that one must be a male human at the time of making it.
Huh?

Care to explain? Which vows? Why shouldn't a woman be able to make an effective vow?

Are there also racial restrictions,or are just women declared inadequate?

the vow to become a buddha, which must be made at the feet of a buddha

i doubt race would play a role as race is a pretty modern idea
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

jcsuperstar wrote:i think one of the jain Tirthankaras was female

19th Tirthankar, Malli Nath,

oh and it seems only one sect of jains believes it
I stand corrected JC - unless the Digambaras were right.
The nineteenth Tirthankara is the most interesting of all, for owing to deceitfulness in a previous life this saint was born as a woman; having, however, done all the twenty things that make an ascetic a Tirthankara, nothing could prevent his becoming one; but his previous deceitfulness resulted in his becoming a female Tirthankara. She was born in Mithila, where her parents, king Kumbera and Queen Prabhavati, ruled. Before her birth her mother longed to wear a garland (malli) woven of the flowers of all seasons. Mallinatha's symbol is a water-jar, and she also passed to moksa from Sameta Sikhara. The Digambaras, who deny that any woman can pass to moksa without rebirth as a man, deny of course that Mallinatha could have been a woman.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Annabel,
Annabel wrote:Care to explain? Which vows?
An effective vow to become a Sammāsambuddha.
Why shouldn't a woman be able to make an effective vow?

Are there also racial restrictions,
No.
or are just women declared inadequate?
Almost everybody is declared inadequate. In Theravāda teaching the vow can be made effectively only when there is a concurrence of eight conditions:

1. Manussatta: the human state. The resolve to become a Sammāsambuddha can be made only during a life in which one is a human being.
2. Liṅgasampatti: possession of the right sex. One must be a man, not a woman, a congenital eunuch, or a hermaphrodite.
3. Hetu: cause. Possessing the supporting conditions for attaining arahantship in that same life, if he were to exert himself towards this end.
4. Satthāradassana: the sight of the Teacher. This means an encounter with a Sammāsambuddha, as when Sumedha met the Buddha Dīpaṅkara and declared his resolve in his presence.
5. Pabbajjā: going forth into the homeless life. One must have left the household life and be an ascetic who holds to the doctrine of the efficacy of kamma, like the ascetic Sumedha when he made his resolve.
6. Guṇasampatti: attainment of special qualities. One must have attained special or distinctive qualities, beginning with the jhānas, like Sumedha, who had attained the five mundane higher knowledges (abhiññā) and the eight attainments (samāpatti) when he made his resolve before the Buddha Dīpaṅkara.
7. Adhikāra: extreme dedication. At the time of making one's resolve to become a Sammāsambuddha one must be prepared to sacrifice everything, even one's life.
5. Chandatā: strong desire. Having a strong desire to become a Sammāsambuddha, no matter how great the difficulties and obstacles one may encounter. For example, if he were told that to attain sammāsambodhi it would be necessary to tread his way across an entire world-system filled with flameless hot coals, or tread his way across an entire world-system whose ground was bespread with spears and sharp-pointed bamboo sticks, or wade across an entire world-system filled with water, or cut his way through an entire world-system choked with thorny bamboo plants, — he would reply: "I can do that."

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Annabel: There is more to becoming a Buddha than even the vow. Study chapter one of http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Ledi/Uttama/uttama.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

Bhante,
Yes, that exhaustive list is what I keep going back to as well. However...

I still can't help but point out one thing: If someone in our world system is to become a Sammasambuddha, then, according to the suttas, they will most definitely be a man. So pointing out that it's hard for anyone to attain it doesn't defeat the fact that women can't do it and men can. Obviously women and those concerned with women's equality will have a problem with this interpretation.

Furthermore, the status of Sammasambuddha-ship in all of world Buddhism further makes this an issue of concern. I mean, I could understand if becoming a teaching Buddha wasn't a big deal. But it is. And it's considered the utmost goal, especially in Mahayana. Even more reason to question it. And specifically for the Mahayana, women can't vow to save all beings - because they literally can't save all beings. They have to first hope to be reborn as a male and then make the vow.

C'mon people! Maybe excepting Element, how can anyone in this forum just take this for face value?

There might be an easy answer, but I have to ask this: how is this any different than the Christian viewpoint that women can't become priests or bishops?

But to respond to your response to my post earlier - yes, I am sorry I forgot about the idea that the commentators draw no parallels between kamma manifestation in sex and the inability of women to attain teaching Buddha status. I at least find that comforting. However, they didn't try to tackle this issue - why? I guess because it wasn't an issue at the time. But it is now, and so maybe monks an academics should spend more time on it.

Sure, this idea has no bearing on my actual practice. But it does have bearing on the propagation of the Dhamma to the world and to the discussion of the Dhamma with others. And so we shouldn't just dismiss it as useless. If we actually do want to become teaching Buddhas, then we most definitely won't be able to avoid this discussion. Best get it right when we can.

:namaste:
Dhammakid