New wellness and fitness sub-forum

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
DNS
Site Admin

New wellness and fitness sub-forum

Post by DNS »

See our new Wellness, diet & fitness subforum:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewforum.php?f=31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bodom

Re: New wellness and fitness sub-forum

Post by bodom »

Great idea! I like it. :toast:

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Very cool! :stirthepot:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Thanks. It was Ben's idea and the rest of us (mod. team) worked on the title.
alan

Post by alan »

Great Idea. I was thinking no one was concerned with health and fitness here--Thank you!
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

These five elements arise and fall faster than the blink of an eye. Clinging to them as me or mine has been the cause of suffering since time without beginning. Understanding what they are is bliss. Who would be seduced by mara to think that fitness is of great importance? The only thing of importance is the development of panna, which leads all ten perfections.

Besides, even if one does want to be healthy it is fine, but one must understand these dhammas for what they are and reflect on them as one does things such as work out or swim. Naturally panna can develop. It can also be said that a healthy body arises because of certain conditions. Through the practice of ten perfections, which become natural when panna is developed, one accumulates the causes for long life (by refraining from harming other living beings) for wealth (through the practice of generosity) and so on.

kevin
bodom

Post by bodom »

Virgo wrote:These five elements arise and fall faster than the blink of an eye. Clinging to them as me or mine has been the cause of suffering since time without beginning. Understanding what they are is bliss. Who would be seduced by mara to think that fitness is of great importance? The only thing of importance is the development of panna, which leads all ten perfections.

Besides, even if one does want to be healthy it is fine, but one must understand these dhammas for what they are and reflect on them as one does things such as work out or swim. Naturally panna can develop. It can also be said that a healthy body arises because of certain conditions. Through the practice of ten perfections, which become natural when panna is developed, one accumulates the causes for long life (by refraining from harming other living beings) for wealth (through the practice of generosity) and so on.

kevin
You are aware the Buddha walked in meditation for physical exercise?
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

bodom wrote:
Virgo wrote:These five elements arise and fall faster than the blink of an eye. Clinging to them as me or mine has been the cause of suffering since time without beginning. Understanding what they are is bliss. Who would be seduced by mara to think that fitness is of great importance? The only thing of importance is the development of panna, which leads all ten perfections.

kevin
You are aware the Buddha walked in meditation for physical exercise?
Of course. I didn't say that exercising was bad -- I emphasized the importance of the development of panna and having understanding of conditioned dhammas even while one is exercising. The Buddha was simply practical.

Kevin
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Kevin
I think I should make it very clear that the reason why we established the wellness anf fitness sub-forum was to support those members who wished to maintain their health for the purpose of continuity of their practice in this current life for as long as conditions permit. It is not for encouraging lust for food, conceitedness, nor the propagation of personality view. We discussed these very issues within the admin forum before establishing the 'wellness and fitness' sub-froum.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Virgo wrote: It can also be said that a healthy body arises because of certain conditions. Through the practice of ten perfections, which become natural when panna is developed, one accumulates the causes for long life (by refraining from harming other living beings) for wealth (through the practice of generosity) and so on.

kevin

Kevin....can it happen in THIS life?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Dear all

The announcements forum is to either announce new services at Dhamma Wheel or propagate news of interest to the membership.
If members identify an issue that they would like to discuss embedded within the announcement, such as the pros and cons of maintaining one's health for ongoing Dhamma practice, one should take that issue and start a thread in the relevant sub-forum rather than start the discussion in the announcement thread where it is off-topic. I am now closing this thread.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..