Time in Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Collective

Time in Meditation

Post by Collective »

Today I received my Insight Meditation cd/pack. It's very good.

I read that I should look to build my time on the cushion to 45minutes daily. Currently, I try to sit for 3 periods of 20minutes each. What is the usual practice, do sit at one lengthier time, or say, 2 to 3 shorter ones, which added together give more time on the cushion?

Thank you :namaste:
tiltbillings

Re: Time in Meditation

Post by tiltbillings »

Collective wrote:Today I received my Insight Meditation cd/pack. It's very good.

I read that I should look to build my time on the cushion to 45minutes daily. Currently, I try to sit for 3 periods of 20minutes each. What is the usual practice, do sit at one lengthier time, or say, 2 to 3 shorter ones, which added together give more time on the cushion?

Who are the teachers on the CDs?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

if you have a good routine you are able to stick to, keep with it!

personally I think your method is as good, if not better than one sitting, but if you can lengthen one of the periods lengthen it even if it is just 5 minuets once a week extra.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Collective

Post by Collective »

tiltbillings wrote:
Collective wrote:Today I received my Insight Meditation cd/pack. It's very good.

Who are the teachers on the CDs?
It's these: Link

Sharon Salzberg and Joseph Goldstein. They've studied under a few very well respected teachers.
Collective

Post by Collective »

Manapa wrote:if you have a good routine you are able to stick to, keep with it!

personally I think your method is as good, if not better than one sitting, but if you can lengthen one of the periods lengthen it even if it is just 5 minuets once a week extra.
That's what I was thinking too.

Thanks
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

thats a good kit. (there i've said that in like 3 threads now)

one should remember to just follow the method recommended by what ever teacher one has chosen to follow or else you'll just limit progress you may have made with that teacher's instructions.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Collective wrote:
Sharon Salzberg and Joseph Goldstein. They've studied under a few very well respected teachers.
I have done three three month retreats with them at IMS. They are very good teachers.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Please delete double posted
Last edited by Cittasanto on Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

If you could share your thoughts on the kit on the meditation kit thread I started a few days ago, I would appreciate your thoughts on it!
although there were a couple of questions You may be able to answer there now.

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3532" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Cittasanto on Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Stuart Mill
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

People vary in this as in most things. My own experience is that any less than 20 minutes does not suit me. It takes me that long to settle down and start to meditate properly. One of my teachers said that when he rang the bell at the end of a session some people in the group relaxed at that point enough to enter a meditative state for a few minutes. He said that for those people the trick was to enter that relaxed/aware state earlier and earlier in the process.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.