Mahayana's "Shurangama Sutra" - any use to a Theravadin?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
retrofuturist

Mahayana's "Shurangama Sutra" - any use to a Theravadin?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Has anyone read the following Mahayana Sutra?

Shurangama Sutta (Mahayana)
http://www.cttbusa.org/shurangama/shura ... ntents.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you believe it contains anything of benefit or interest to a Theravada practitioner?

(If we can set aside polemnical debates, "Hinayana" and such it would be greatly appreciated... I just want to focus on the Dhamma aspect).

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Re: Mahayana's "Shurangama Sutta" - any use to a Theravadin?

Post by tiltbillings »

Oh, yes. Everyone should mumble its mantra.

Why do you ask?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
tiltbillings wrote:Why do you ask?
I was advised by a Mahayana practitioner that it might provide some guidance on the direct observation of anattata.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
tiltbillings wrote:Why do you ask?
I was advised by a Mahayana practitioner that it might provide some guidance on the direct observation of anattata.
That is true, if you read the whole thing, which is best to do it in one sitting, then you will be left with the realization that a precious period of time has passed, never to be regained and that you are older and closer to your death, and there will be the realization that watching your breath is time better spent as a way of understanding by direct experience the three marks.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

tisk tisk

yet still funny
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Your thread and Tilt's comments have made me want to read it. It's been gathering dust on the shelf long enough!

_/|\_
_/|\_
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Dan,
Dan74 wrote:Your thread and Tilt's comments have made me want to read it. It's been gathering dust on the shelf long enough!
If you find some parts you think you be of interest, can you post them here?

As the whole thing is pretty long (as is often the way with Mahayana Sutras) I'd like to be pretty specific and focused with the sections addressed.

Metta,
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote: As the whole thing is pretty long (as is often the way with Mahayana Sutras) I'd like to be pretty specific and focused with the sections addressed.
I am assuming that you were given this info on ZFI; ask the person who suggested it. Having slogged through it years ago, I would have to say I found it forgetable.

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Tilt,

I'll get Dan74 to filter it for me.

He seems keen to get stuck into it!

Metta,
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Dan,
Dan74 wrote:Your thread and Tilt's comments have made me want to read it. It's been gathering dust on the shelf long enough!
If you find some parts you think you be of interest, can you post them here?

As the whole thing is pretty long (as is often the way with Mahayana Sutras) I'd like to be pretty specific and focused with the sections addressed.

Metta,
Will do! Might take me a week or two though...

Then again I might come up with nothing upon "filtering." That's what reading the Heart Sutra for the first time was like. Which is kind of the point, but I missed it then :jumping:

_/|\_
_/|\_
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Brilliant - thanks Dan!

Metta,
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Just a note, the Shurangama Sutra should not to be confused with the Shurangamasamadhi Sutra, which is an early text important in Ch'an.

Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

tiltbillings wrote:Just a note, the Shurangama Sutra should not to be confused with the Shurangamasamadhi Sutra, which is an early text important in Ch'an.
Sure about the order there?

Actually, probably the other way around:
the later Surangama Sutra (T 945) (the one which if relatively popular and well known in the present day and age) is much more important to Chan starting from the Tang dynasty, than the earlier Surangamasamadhi Sutra (T 642, T643) which was not so important for any school, really, (and which is largely unknown at present).
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Paññāsikhara wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Just a note, the Shurangama Sutra should not to be confused with the Shurangamasamadhi Sutra, which is an early text important in Ch'an.
Sure about the order there?

Actually, probably the other way around:
the later Surangama Sutra (T 945) (the one which if relatively popular and well known in the present day and age) is much more important to Chan starting from the Tang dynasty, than the earlier Surangamasamadhi Sutra (T 642, T643) which was not so important for any school, really, (and which is largely unknown at present).
Not what I have read, but then I can't remember who said that, maybe Lamotte, but then, when it really comes down to it, I really do not care.

BlackBird

Re: Mahayana's "Shurangama Sutra" - any use to a Theravadin?

Post by BlackBird »

This thread brought a smile to my otherwise drab day :)

Thank you.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks