Was Buddha a spoil sport?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
bodom

Re: Was Buddha a spoil sport?

Post by bodom »

Annapurna wrote:And to all football lovers:

I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I do have my own superbowls, rest assured. ;)

ok? :hug:

Anna (don't hate me please)
I dont hate you. I would never hate anyone over a game. Well maybe just Broncos fans. :tongue: Just kidding.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
cooran

Post by cooran »

bodom said: I would never hate anyone over a game. Well maybe just Broncos fans. Just kidding.
What?!!!!

How can such a thing be????

ONYA Broncos!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane_Broncos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

bodom wrote:
Annapurna wrote:And to all football lovers:

I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I do have my own superbowls, rest assured. ;)

ok? :hug:

Anna (don't hate me please)
I dont hate you. I would never hate anyone over a game. Well maybe just Broncos fans. :tongue: Just kidding.

That's great, Bodom. :group:
bodom

Post by bodom »

cooran wrote:
bodom said: I would never hate anyone over a game. Well maybe just Broncos fans. Just kidding.
What?!!!!

How can such a thing be????

ONYA Broncos!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane_Broncos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Haha no, these Broncos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver_Broncos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
cooran

Post by cooran »

OMG! They wear motorcycle helmets when playing football?? :jumping:
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
bodom

Post by bodom »

cooran wrote:OMG! They wear motorcycle helmets when playing football?? :jumping:

:jumping: you need them when your playing against guys that are as big as trucks and just as fast.

- BB
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

cooran wrote:OMG! They wear motorcycle helmets when playing football?? :jumping:
Yep. It's weird. American football players are kinda pansy like that. ;)

But what do I know? I'm a fan of association football and aussie football. Werd. Them be real sports. =D
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
seanpdx wrote:aussie football. Werd.
Go Saints!

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

seanpdx wrote:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
bodom

Post by bodom »

seanpdx wrote:

But what do I know? I'm a fan of association football and aussie football. Werd. Them be real sports. =D
Read these articles and tell me helmets are for pansy's. I guess the real men will be all the ones with brain damage at the end of their careers. Oh and by the way aussie's dont hit hard enough to need helmets. Haha just kidding just kidding.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- BB
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

Manapa wrote:
seanpdx wrote:
Ha! Good times, good times. =D
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

bodom wrote:
seanpdx wrote:

Read these articles and tell me helmets are for pansy's. I guess the real men will be all the ones with brain damage at the end of their careers. Oh and by the way aussie's dont hit hard enough to need helmets. Haha just kidding just kidding.
Then thar be fightin' words! :guns:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

seanpdx wrote:
Really???
:tongue:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

Manapa wrote:
seanpdx wrote:
Really???
:tongue:
I just watched that movie again not two weeks ago! =D
baratgab

Post by baratgab »

Annapurna wrote:I think to abandon some desires is hard at times. Like, if you don't want to contribute to animals suffering and so want to eat less meat, or become a Vegetarian. I've gone without meat for many months, but then I eat meat again!
Yes, I understand your position. :smile: But my perspective is that if we can't feel these changes as a gain in the here and now, then this is a sign that our motivation, attitude or intention is maybe not in line with the dhamma. Of course the point is not to criticize anybody, but just to express what could be the most important area of development. After all we, western people, conditioned by this materialistic culture, are quite prone to focus on the externalities: I should eat less, I should sleep less, I should do more meditation, I should give more donations... And at the same time we very rarely question our motivation, attitude or intention with which we are eating, sleeping, meditating or giving donations. If only the externalities change, of course that the change is hard and the craving remains. On the other hand, if the change happens in our motivation, attitude or intention, the change in the externalities can be almost automatic.

So, if you have problems with craving for meat (as your example goes), maybe this is because you are a meat-eater who doesn't eat meat.
I have spoken to somebody 2 weeks ago who harshly condemned celibacy as "unnatural"...he said it was impossible for him to go without, -but monks can.
Yes, it is natural. Suffering in samsara is natural too. So I would be careful about how much nature I want. ;) Usually this is how my argument goes about this. :smile:
"Just as in the great ocean there is but one taste — the taste of salt — so in this Doctrine and Discipline there is but one taste — the taste of freedom"