What's the hottest it gets to where you live?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
retrofuturist

What's the hottest it gets to where you live?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I'm just wondering what's the hottest it ever gets to in your corner of the world?

It was 43.4 C' yesterday in Melbourne, Australia... 44.0 C' today and should be a cooler 43 C' tomorrow.

For those who think in terms of fahrenheit, today was 111.

This is all perilously close to highest ever January reading of 45.6 C' on 13th January 1939.

I won't tell you about my train trip home... it was a good chance to practice the paramitas. :rofl:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cooran

Re: What's the hottest it gets to where you live?

Post by cooran »

Hello Retro,

For most of the world Fahrenheit is the measure used, not Celsius.

So 44 C = 111.2 F ..... a bit warm, hey?

metta
cooran
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Chris,

Yes, just a little.

:rofl:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

80 or 90 i think... but its rare to get really high.

where i'm from (houston texas) gets pretty hot, up in the 100s
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Ben

Post by Ben »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Chris,

Yes, just a little.

:rofl:

Metta,
Try moving house on a day like yesterday, today and tomorrow!
Except for a couple of ceiling fans, no aircon, and the refrigerator has gone.
Even the water out of the tap is hot.
Even at 9.15 PM, the perspiration is constant.
Cheers

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Good for vedananupassana?

Metta,
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Where I grew up, northern Minnesota, we would have low (actual) temps of -35 F (-37 C) with a high of around -17 F (- 27 C) for up to to two week stretches. Actually, hard to say if -35 F is worse than 111 F.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Tilt,

Looks like we need a complementary "What's the coldest it gets to where you live?" thread!

To which I would say about minima of 0'C (32'F).

Metta,
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

In Kanchanaburi Province, Thailand, in March and April, it gets into the (low ) forties, but upper thirties regularly...man, it's hot...(35 today)...

Chris: For most of the world Fahrenheit is the measure used, not Celsius.

I may be about to crawl out on a limb here, but who, besides America and Britain use Fahrenheit?...and I'd venture to say definitely not 'most'...

Be well...and cool... :smile:

[Edited misattributed quote — Dhammanando]
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I'm just wondering what's the hottest it ever gets to in your corner of the world?

It was 43.4 C' yesterday in Melbourne, Australia... 44.0 C' today and should be a cooler 43 C' tomorrow.

For those who think in terms of fahrenheit, today was 111.

This is all perilously close to highest ever January reading of 45.6 C' on 13th January 1939.

I won't tell you about my train trip home... it was a good chance to practice the paramitas. :rofl:

Metta,
Gosh, Retro, I feel for you. 44°C - that would kill me. I can hardly handle it when it's over 30 ° C here!

In the summer we often get over 30-35. But we also get, very rarely, almost 40. Or over 40.

Genetically, I am a celtic type, with fair skin and hair,- and I feel comfortable in moderate climate, around 20-25°C.

Wonderful.

I can also handle cold weather pretty well.

But hot?

I was in Florida once and really suffered, except when I was in the ocean, where it was too cold to stay in for good.

So I was caught between a rock and a hard place.

A
Ben

Post by Ben »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Good for vedananupassana?

Metta,
Absolutely Retro!
I was actually talking to my wife earlier in the evening, and remarking that how in winter, one is conditioned to turn the heating on, and that this sort of heat is desirable. Yet in summer, the conditioning of the mind is that it is undesirable. After years of hating the heat, I don't anymore. Its just vedana and the rest is just the result of craving and aversion.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

Hi Retro,

It looks like we have a similar climate, extreme temperatures in Lisbon are 42º C and 0º C.

Humidity between 80% and 100% all year long.

Being on the antipodes we are now on winter, 15ºC and raining at the moment.
With Metta
bodom

Post by bodom »

It regularly is in the 90's and 100's here in south Texas, San Antonio.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Tex

Post by Tex »

jcsuperstar wrote: where i'm from (houston texas) gets pretty hot, up in the 100s
Indeed. Most of the days in the summer will have temps between 95-99 but about a dozen times a year we'll crack 100 up to 102 or 103 sometimes. But the heat index (in case that's just an American thing, it's what it "feels like" with humidity factored in, kind of like wind chill readings in the winter) is usually between 105-115. If it hadn't been for the oil no one would have ever settled in this hot, sticky swamp.

But on the bright side we have a lot of traffic and smog and some hurricanes, so we've got that going for us. Which is nice.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Living in Wales in the UK you can imagine that it doesnt get that warm here lol, hottest it gets is 38C, (thats if we are lucky)

usually its about 27-35C, 80-86 fahrenheit
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”