YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

The Buddha, Imagination and The Artistic Process - Page 4 - Dhamma Wheel

The Buddha, Imagination and The Artistic Process

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Kim OHara

Re: The Buddha, Imagination and The Artistic Process

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:07 am

pt1

Postby pt1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:36 am

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:41 am

MayaRefugee

Postby MayaRefugee » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:22 pm

I was looking up a band I used to listen to and stumbled across this:

It's an interesting piece that touches on the stuff being discussed in this thread.

Peace.

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:43 pm

http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

MayaRefugee

Postby MayaRefugee » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:46 am

pt1

Postby pt1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:46 am

chownah

Postby chownah » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:46 pm

MayaRefugee

Postby MayaRefugee » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:09 pm

chownah,

I like what you say - :thumbsup:

I said earlier that the mind/mental-processes/thinking behind the creation of a certain something seem to contribute to how artistic that somehting is - your post has evoked the desire in me to delve further into this if only for my own benefit - it'd be good if some of you tackled any questions I may raise.

As you say chownah, both "ordinary objects" and "works of art" can provoke insight however "ordinary objects" (which by ordinary I'm presuming you mean natural/organic) have been fashioned/shaped by the designs of something other than the body-mind of man - let's call this something other God for convenience, "works of art" obviously haven't been fashioned/shaped by the designs of God.

Does God have a mind that formulated the intention to provide these "ordinary objects" for the instigation of insight in the minds of men?

What's going on in the mind of someone that ends up producing a "work of art" - what was there intention?

When I say "work of art" I include all man-made objects because as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder so it's possible every human creation has atleast one "beholder" that thinks it's beautiful/a work of art.

It's been said that neccesity is the mother of all invention - what neccesity does the mind of the artist see that requires the production of a work of art?

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:51 pm

Last edited by Annapurna on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:13 pm

MayaRefugee

Postby MayaRefugee » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:50 pm

Annapurna,

I got the impression you were coming from a belief that I was overthinking things and should throw caution to the wind and just do my art. I don't believe (at this stage) that you can overthink things and I see throwing caution to the wind as reckless - I may have misinterpreted you so if I have I apologise - I've been accused of overthinking three times this week and I'd never thought of thinking having a middle-way until you mentioned it - :bow: - this was where I thought we were seeing things differently.

Let me clarify, I'm not into ganster rap! - :shock: - nor do I have aspirations for fame - ;) - I meant to use that as an example of the trouble art can cause.

As far as why I do my art goes, I mentioned earlier in the thread that I think it's due to the fact I developed the inclination very early in my life and it brought me labels from others such as clever/bright/talented/etc. and that made me feel good about myself. This was many years ago and since becoming more contemplative my art has changed direction and has become more personal, ATM I don't share it with anyone so the labels have stopped coming - I mainly write lyrics/songs now which are derived from my contemplations - they are like notes I make as I tread the path and they mean something to me one-day but usually mean nothing the next - i.e. I deal with an issue and move to the next one.

The motivation for the art I do now is to better understand myself/reality/life and hopefully get as clean as I can get before I die.

I understand what you're saying about doing it for others - I think I just lack the belief that my "art" could help/satisfy/be liked by others - I'm content at the moment just putting my thoughts/realisations on paper in a poetic/easy to remember form and occasionaly putting it to music.

My understanding is that Maya is the illusion people live while caught in Samsara - I used to sketch scenes and write stories based on my understanding of this illusion - I was trying to manipulate peoples attitudes toward things in the hope of achieving what I would now deem to be unwholesome ends - it was more propaganda than "art".

You're posts have been very touching so thank-you for contributing - :heart:

Peace.

I just went to submit this and saw you're reply to my other post.

It's a good point you make, maybe I should have said "works of art" aren't created solely by God but are subject to the influences of an indviduals mind-body.

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks for replying so thoughtfully, Mayarefugee...it's interesting that you brought up this topic, because only this week I was intensily thinking about similar things, and about making some Buddhist art, and ended up making 2 Buddhist bookmarks, but I'm not done yet. They are very simple though. I plan on posting them once they're done.

You may have noticed by now that I am also quite -interested in art, also since my early childhood, and like you I was always encouraged to continue. I even have a BA in art history.

In the last years I have become a lot more creative, and have finally started selling things, which was always my hope.

I'm also very happy when I give pieces I made to others, for Christmas or birthdays, to see the joy I can give with something handcrafted is very special.

I think people feel 'loved' when they see that you don't just go and buy something, but sit down and work with your 2 hands for quite a while.

(Of course for the money you spend on gifts you have also spent time and work.)

I used to write a lot of poetry too, perhaps like you write lyrics, but have now arrived at wordless art...

It's interesting what you wrote about the manipulative element in words...it's true.

Never thought about that, funny.

So thank you. ;)

Perhaps I thought that you overthink matters, because I probably think less than you about such things, and am measuring you with my standards.

Could be...and would be unwise. ;)

:anjali:

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:47 pm

MayaRefugee

Postby MayaRefugee » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:47 am

Kim,

"God" was simply used to represent the "artist" or creative force that would be behind "ordinary objects" i.e. a mountain, the sea, a tree, etc. Chownah brought up how these can lead to as much insight as a "work of art" and I was trying to point out that one is man-made and one is not.

Annapurna,

Nice going with the art - :thumbsup: - seems we're pretty similar (apart from the BA! - :tongue: ).

Peace.

pt1

Postby pt1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:24 am

Yeah, perhaps that god thing should be rephrased appropriately. Afaik, in theravada it's not about a creator of things and ordinary objects, but it's about conditions. I.e. everything arises based on conditions and then falls away again based on conditions. And this happens horribly fast. According to theravada abhidhmma and commentarial tradition, all external materiality (rupa) is conditioned by temperature, while all materiality that constitutes what we might conventionally call a person's body is conditioned by temperature, kamma, nutrition and citta (consciousness). Nama dhammas (i.e. mental factors and cittas) are conditioned by other nama dhammas. Nibbana is the only dhamma that's not conditioned, hence why theravada buddists are after it.

Best wishes

pt1

Postby pt1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:57 am

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:48 am

Last edited by Annapurna on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:05 am

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:30 am

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”