Similes, Metaphors, and Analogies

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Yes, the fan analogy is good.

Link to fan analogy: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... =20#p52081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
seanpdx

Re: Does mindful mean s-l-o-w?

Post by seanpdx »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Yes, the fan analogy is good.

Metta,
Coincidentally, the fan analogy was the one thing in the list I disliked the most. True story.

We may not be able to see one aspect of the fan when it's moving fast. But what use is a fan that's turned off, or moving too slowly? ;)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sean,

But when a fan slows down, the fan's motor is cooler.

When it stops, the motor is cool.

8-)

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Sean,

But when a fan slows down, the fan's motor is cooler.

When it stops, the motor is cool.

8-)

Metta,
Bah humbug. That's why god invented liquid cooling systems! :tongue:

(insert discussion about virtue ethics and the nature/virtues of a fan)
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

Sean,

Have you always had this problem with metaphors? :console:

-M
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

meindzai wrote:Sean,

-M
No, it's a recent issue. I'm seeing a therapist about it. Have you always had this problem with humour?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

seanpdx wrote:
meindzai wrote:Sean,

-M
No, it's a recent issue. I'm seeing a therapist about it. Have you always had this problem with humour?
Snap.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

Humor is like a... oh nevermind. :tongue:

-M
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

meindzai wrote:Humor is like a... oh nevermind. :tongue:

-M
I totally understand similes! It's just metaphors I don't understand! :tongue:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

seanpdx wrote:[I totally understand similes! It's just metaphors I don't understand! :tongue:
And don't get me started on my confusion over which are metaphor, simile, and analogy... :thinking:

Mike :meditate:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I'm confused (generally)

shall we all go to the great therapist stone wallaallahinglap
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

This thread dedicated to Sean and Mike. :)

What's the difference between a simile, a metaphor, and an analogy?
The dictionary defines a "metaphor" as a figure of speech that uses one thing to mean another and makes a comparison between the two. For example, Shakespeare's line, "All the world's a stage," is a metaphor comparing the whole world to a theater stage. Metaphors can be very simple, and they can function as most any part of speech. "The spy shadowed the woman" is a verb metaphor. The spy doesn't literally cast his shadow on the woman, but he follows her so closely and quietly that he resembles her own shadow.

A simile, also called an open comparison, is a form of metaphor that compares two different things to create a new meaning. But a simile always uses "like" or "as" within the phrase and is more explicit than a metaphor. For example, Shakespeare's line could be rewritten as a simile to read: "The world is like a stage." Another simile would be: "The spy was close as a shadow." Both metaphor and simile can be used to enhance writing.

An analogy is a bit more complicated. At the most basic level, an analogy shows similarity between things that might seem different -- much like an extended metaphor or simile. But analogy isn't just a form of speech. It can be a logical argument: if two things are alike in some ways, they are alike in some other ways as well. Analogy is often used to help provide insight by comparing an unknown subject to one that is more familiar. It can also show a relationship between pairs of things. This form of analogy is often used on standardized tests in the form "A is to B as C is to D."

The Buddha, as anybody that's spent any time with the canon knows, was a master of all of the above. Access to insight even has an Index of Similes. (Which, I think probably includes metaphors and analogies!).

Ajahn Chah is known for his... Similes, at least according to this link: A Tree in a Forest by Venerable Ajahn Chah

"We have to talk about the Dhamma like this, using similes, because the Dhamma has no form. Is it square or is it round? You can't say. The only way to talk about it is through similes like these." -AC

Though again they appear to be a mix of all of the above.

-M
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

mikenz66 wrote:
seanpdx wrote:[I totally understand similes! It's just metaphors I don't understand! :tongue:
And don't get me started on my confusion over which are metaphor, simile, and analogy... :thinking:

Mike :meditate:
A simile is like... err, nevermind. :tongue: hehe
Ben

Re: Similes, Metaphors, and Analogies

Post by Ben »

Hi Meindzai

That's a great observation. I've referenced this book a number of times both here and on e-sangha:
R.F. Gombrich, How Buddhism Began: the conditioned genesis of the early teachings

With regards to your above topic, of interest is Chapter 3: Metaphor, Allegory, Satire.
http://books.google.com/books?id=aIOY5g ... q=&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ben

Re: Similes, Metaphors, and Analogies

Post by Ben »

Dear members

A reminder that off-topic posts are routinely removed without warning.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..