Meditating before or after workout?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Butrfly_Nirvana

Meditating before or after workout?

Post by Butrfly_Nirvana »

Do you meditate before or after your workout? So far I have been meditating before doing my workouts--my thinking is that it will help me to be more mindful during the exercises, rather than having random thoughts distract me the whole time. This has been really helpful thus far, but I'm curious as to the benefits of doing it afterward as well.
Guy

Re: Meditating before or after workout?

Post by Guy »

Hi Butrfly,

I prefer to exercise before meditation, my theory is that after exercise my circulation will be better when I sit and therefore less chance of slipping into sloth and torpor. It seems to work, not sure if it is because my theory is correct or if it is because I expect it to work.

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
bodom

Post by bodom »

Before. If I dont roll right out of bed and get right to the cushion first thing, I find it easier to make excuses to put it off until later.
Sitting is the first priority.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

Before and after. That is way before workout and way after.
The reason is that I meditate before dawn and again after everyone in the house has gone to bed.
My workout, swimming, is whenever I can fit it in during the day - work and family responsibilities permitting!
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
zavk

Post by zavk »

I don't meditate after a workout--not immediately anyway. For me, intense physical exertion makes it harder for my mind to settle down. It's ok though if I wait a while after exercising.
With metta,
zavk
RayfieldNeel

Post by RayfieldNeel »

I run in the early morning, and then perform a few minutes of standing breathing and metta before entering the unbridled chaos of my household. :tongue:

I am also inclined to wait a bit before actually sitting in samatha or vipassana. My sense is that my body is a little too "wired up" to go straight to that activity...though to be truthful I haven't put it to the test.
alan

Post by alan »

Meditation first, Yoga second, then a workout, which for me means lifting weights that are heavier than I lifted last time. Even if it is just one extra ounce. After that it is a good healthy meal and rest.
Pax

Post by Pax »

Meditation first, then a glass of water or tea, followed by a workout. This order seems to allow me to be more focused and mindful during exercise. :juggling:
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

If I get the chance, which doesn't always happen, I like to do a few minutes of gentle stretching (qi gong or yoga) before meditating. It improves circulation, as I think Guy said, and flexibility so I'm able to sit more comfortably. It also provides a cut-out from my other activities, helping my mind to settle more quickly when I do sit down.
As for 'workout', working up a sweat for the sake of fitness ... I'm sorry, that must be something other people do. :tongue:
I play a bit of sport and like the fact that it helps me stay fit, but I find exercise for the sake of exercise so excruciatingly tedious I just can't bring myself to do it.

:namaste:
Kim
alan

Post by alan »

Anything can get tedious if there is no goal, including meditation. That is why I like to challenge myself to get just a bit stronger, just a bit leaner, just a bit healthier. Having a clear plan and sticking to it also builds confidence in other areas of life.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

alan wrote:Anything can get tedious if there is no goal, including meditation. That is why I like to challenge myself to get just a bit stronger, just a bit leaner, just a bit healthier.
That's probably my problem then: no goal. I'm happy enough with the way I am.
:juggling:

Kim
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

not a theravada idea BUT in the qigong philosophies i've learned, in the morning you start slow, so meditation then move towards more vigorous things and in the evening vigorous to slow, exercize to meditation.
seems pretty practical, slowly wake up slowly go to bed...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Butrfly_Nirvana

Post by Butrfly_Nirvana »

JC: That makes a lot of sense....now if someone could please inform my 3yr old and 1.5yr of this 'slow waking' idea, that would be great! LOL They are up at 6am and off with a running start that lasts until after lunch time! *sigh* maybe I can use blackout shades to trick them into thinking it's still nighttime?? LOL
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Butrfly_Nirvana wrote:JC: That makes a lot of sense....now if someone could please inform my 3yr old and 1.5yr of this 'slow waking' idea, that would be great! LOL They are up at 6am and off with a running start that lasts until after lunch time! *sigh* maybe I can use blackout shades to trick them into thinking it's still nighttime?? LOL
Don't worry (in fact, enjoy it while you can). This too will pass - in another ten years you will be turning floodlights on in their rooms to get them out of bed before school starts. :tongue:
I shouldn't joke about it, should I? :hug:
OK, here's a more serious suggestion: if you can go to bed earlier yourself, you won't mind waking up when they do.

:namaste:
Kim
RayfieldNeel

Post by RayfieldNeel »

Kim O'Hara wrote:As for 'workout', working up a sweat for the sake of fitness ... I'm sorry, that must be something other people do. :tongue:
I play a bit of sport and like the fact that it helps me stay fit, but I find exercise for the sake of exercise so excruciatingly tedious I just can't bring myself to do it.
It's easy enough to remove the tedium. I've been a runner for about 15 years; I can't imagine my week without it. I prepare my iPod Shuffle with some wonderful Podcasts (Audio Dharma and Buddhist Geeks are great stuff) and I learn (and get entertained) while I attempt to keep my 43-year-old body fit. :smile: