Short initiation in Yangon

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Sekha

Short initiation in Yangon

Post by Sekha »

A friend of mine is going to Yangon next month. He has never done any meditation, but he is willing to discover. Anyone here could advise me a center near Yangon where he could do a short initiation (1 to 3 days)?
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Short initiation in Yangon

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I can recommend Chanmyay Yeiktha having spent many happy months there.

I'm not sure if your friend can get to the forest branch centre in Hmawbi for just three days, but that's a quieter place than the centre in Rangoon. It is not too far — about an hour's drive.

You can find some teachings by Chanmyay Sayādaw on my web site.

The Mahasi Meditation Centre in Rangoon, is another possibility. It is much larger than Chanmyay Yeiktha, Rangoon.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

Thank you for the information. But it seems 2 or 3 days is (rightly after all) considered a too short stay in both centers.

Anyway, interesting to note differences in the way foreign registrations are described:
Mahasi Meditation Center wrote: Yogis from abroad ... should contact the organization in writing ... their knowledge of the Buddha-dhamma ... the name and address of the center... Mediation Teacher ...

On receipt of such information the Organization will issue to acceptable person a "Sponsorship letter" to be attached to his or her application to the Myanmar Embassy or Consulate nearest to one''residence.

Then only, issue of a "Special Entry Visa" for meditation for a period of six to twelve weeks will be considered by the authorities. Candidates are advised not to come with a Tourist Visa of seven days as it cannot be extended on any grounds. Processing of a Special entry Visa usually takes three to four weeks as it involves 2 or 3 government departments.
Chanmyay Yeiktha Meditation Centre wrote: If you arrive with a tourist visa and wish to practise extensively, we can arrange "meditation visa" extensions for up to one year.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

As long as your friend doesn't want to extend the tourist visa, what's the problem? Go on a 7-day tourist visa, spend 3 days in a meditation centre, and 4 days sight-seeing.

The Chanmyay Yeiktha info about extending tourist visas is clearly out of date.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

So in your opinion, it would not be a problem to remain in a center for no more than 3 days? The information about both centers stated that people joining the center were expected to stay at least for one month.

Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Dukkhanirodha wrote:So in your opinion, it would not be a problem to remain in a center for no more than 3 days? The information about both centers stated that people joining the center were expected to stay at least for one month.
I'd be surprised if any centre in Yangon would accept a foreign meditator for only three days. I wouldn't recommend it for your friend either, it's better to give it at least a week or two otherwise one will be leaving at what tends to be a difficult time for a lot of meditators so won't really come away having experienced the benefits. If he/she wants a gentle intro then these are usually more readily available in the west.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,