Right Speech

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
villkorkarma

Right Speech

Post by villkorkarma »

Goenka says it isnt good with i cant spell it im from sweden so i wonder what the word means and what the word is but something like this:
Dont speak harch speech.
What is the word? What does it mean?
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )
Lombardi4

Re: Right Speech

Post by Lombardi4 »

(3) Abstaining from harsh speech (pharusaya vacaya veramani).

He avoids harsh language and abstains from it. He speaks such words as are gentle, soothing to the ear, loving, such words as go to the heart, and are courteous, friendly, and agreeable to many.

Harsh speech is speech uttered in anger, intended to cause the hearer pain. Such speech can assume different forms, of which we might mention three. One is abusive speech: scolding, reviling, or reproving another angrily with bitter words. A second is insult: hurting another by ascribing to him some offensive quality which detracts from his dignity. A third is sarcasm: speaking to someone in a way which ostensibly lauds him, but with such a tone or twist of phrasing that the ironic intent becomes clear and causes pain.

The main root of harsh speech is aversion, assuming the form of anger. Since the defilement in this case tends to work impulsively, without deliberation, the transgression is less serious than slander and the kammic consequence generally less severe. Still, harsh speech is an unwholesome action with disagreeable results for oneself and others, both now and in the future, so it has to be restrained. The ideal antidote is patience — learning to tolerate blame and criticism from others, to sympathize with their shortcomings, to respect differences in viewpoint, to endure abuse without feeling compelled to retaliate. The Buddha calls for patience even under the most trying conditions:

Even if, monks, robbers and murderers saw through your limbs and joints, whosoever should give way to anger thereat would not be following my advice. For thus ought you to train yourselves: "Undisturbed shall our mind remain, with heart full of love, and free from any hidden malice; and that person shall we penetrate with loving thoughts, wide, deep, boundless, freed from anger and hatred."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... d.html#ch4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
villkorkarma

Re: Right Speech

Post by villkorkarma »

Just as a I assume it was, thanks you a lot, my parents always angry I now decided you finally move to a own place :)
Thanks a lot for the information.
Warmly Metta
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )