Wii Fit?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
retrofuturist

Wii Fit?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I've got Wii Fit Plus at home... I haven't used it much lately for anything other than the Body Test, but I was just wondering whether anyone else here uses Wii Fit, and what they considered to be the advantages and disadvantages of its use. Is it just a bit of dinky nonsense, or can it be a useful tool?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Fede

Re: Wii Fit?

Post by Fede »

I don't have this contraption, but a friend who does, states that in some exercises it's easy to 'cheat' by just jigging about a lot....the wii hand-sensor-control-thingy (that's a technical term... you know how tecchie I am, Retro! :jumping: ) can be 'fooled' into thinking you're carrying out the exercises when in fact you're just shaking your hand about a lot.....

That's all I can say, really.....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Fede,
Fede wrote:That's all I can say, really.....
Oh sure, in some of them you can cheat.

For example the running... you're supposed to put the remote in your pocket or in your hand and run on the spot. The movement of the Wii Remote is picked up by the Wii Remote Sensor and translated into "running". Obviously a similar result could be achieved just jiggling the remote around a bit.

It might help get a good score in a particular events, but won't contribute much to BMI improvements!

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

My girlfriend wants one. I think its a great way to get kids off the couch and exercising.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Bodom,

Yeah, I think it depends on what activity would they be doing instead?

For my son, who is far more interested in computers and his Nintendo DS than sport and exercise, it's a good way to get him a bit more active.

Metta,
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Retro

some friends of mine rave about them. I think there might be something in the product that helps those less motivated to do some exercise in the comfort and privacy of their own homes. One feature that I would find attractive is the bmi, calorie and other performance indicators. But I won't be getting one any time soon. I'd rather swim, cycle or go to the gym.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Northernbuck

Post by Northernbuck »

Hey Retro,
We do have the Wii fit+. It gets the heart rate up a bit, but so does a good walk. The biggest reason we got it was that a good walk is not a good idea during the middle of winter when it's -50c with the wind howling. I have great fun playing sports resort with the kids. It does get them active. I find that even bowling gets you sweating. It is a useful tool to get a mild workout, but that's about it. It is fun though. Cheers

-B
But if this neutral feeling that has arisen is conditioned by the body which is impermanent, compounded and dependently arisen, how could such a neutral feeling be permanent? - SN 36.7
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

I am overweight, was very physically active until simultaneously a motorcycle accident and starting a second round of graduate school. I simply cannot do most of the intense physical exercises I used to enjoy (martial arts, mountain biking), but those same intense physical activities were apparently what kept me thin because I have packed on the pounds rapidly. The benefit of Wii Fit+ is that a lot of the activities are really fun, I break a decent sweat, and the games have me rethinking the concept of exercise. One game has you flap your arms to make a chicken fly. Would never have realized how hilarious and challenging that is. Another has me "run" on an obstacle course. Love it.

We are thinking about hosting Wii Fit parties, because it is fun to play with friends.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Monkeymind,

Yeah, the flying chicken is funny.

Actually, now that you mention it, I had a dream this morning where I was flying over the water (god knows how) and I had to direct myself and land properly. It was a little scary, but not too much so. On reflection, it was a lot like the flying chicken game!

Metta,
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i want one, the wife wont let me get one.

they did a report on them on NPR and fitness types dont seem to like them, but then they talked to people who lost like 30 pounds with the Wii, the fitness types are all like yeah but you coulda lost more with "real exercise", the wii users however weren't the type who were gonna go do "real exercise"
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
RayfieldNeel

Post by RayfieldNeel »

Like any exercise, the user needs to have discipline and do it regularly..and it needs to be an activity that raises heart rate in some way. There are a number of Wii Fit activities that I wouldn't call "exercise".

My oldest kid convinced my mom to buy her one for Christmas; she loves it, and the family has had fun with it..but we're not really a video game family. We use it very sporadically. We certainly don't consider it to be "a source of exercise" for the kids. I want them to be outdoors, in fresh air. :)