What is a 'turner'?

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Reductor
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:52 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

What is a 'turner'?

Postby Reductor » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:57 am

In MN 10 the phrase:

"Just as a skilled turner or his apprentice, when making a long turn, discerns that he is making a long turn, or when making a short turn discerns that he is making a short turn


What is/was a turner?

Paññāsikhara
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:27 am
Contact:

Re: What is a 'turner'?

Postby Paññāsikhara » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:25 am

thereductor wrote:In MN 10 the phrase:

"Just as a skilled turner or his apprentice, when making a long turn, discerns that he is making a long turn, or when making a short turn discerns that he is making a short turn


What is/was a turner?


It is another name for a person who uses a "lathe". A "turner" "turns" at a "lathe".

Image
Image
Image

Possibly the height of new fangled technology at the Buddha's time.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.

User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 3890
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: What is a 'turner'?

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:31 am

Paññāsikhara wrote:
thereductor wrote:...
What is/was a turner?


It is another name for a person who uses a "lathe". A "turner" "turns" at a "lathe".
...
Possibly the height of new fangled technology at the Buddha's time.

Treadle powered back then, like the traditional potter's wheel or (more recently :tongue: ) your granny's sewing machine.
But I haven't got any pictures. :broke:

Kim

Reductor
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:52 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: What is a 'turner'?

Postby Reductor » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:05 am

I thought it might be linked to carpentry. When I use a scroll saw for finishing work (carpentry) the mental focus is similar to that of watching the breath in anapanasati.

Thank you, venerable.

Paññāsikhara
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:27 am
Contact:

Re: What is a 'turner'?

Postby Paññāsikhara » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:07 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Paññāsikhara wrote:
thereductor wrote:...
What is/was a turner?


It is another name for a person who uses a "lathe". A "turner" "turns" at a "lathe".
...
Possibly the height of new fangled technology at the Buddha's time.

Treadle powered back then, like the traditional potter's wheel or (more recently :tongue: ) your granny's sewing machine.
But I haven't got any pictures. :broke:

Kim


Image
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.

User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 3890
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: What is a 'turner'?

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:16 am

:twothumbsup:
:bow:

Kim

User avatar
Cittasanto
Posts: 6262
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Ellan Vannin
Contact:

Re: What is a 'turner'?

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:38 pm

I started this thread for a Alms Bowls and Ven. Dhammanandho gave some similar info aswell as some useful info.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=945&p=11732&hilit=turner#p11732
“Mendicants, these two [types of persons] defame the Tathāgata.
(The mendicants asked) What are the two [types of persons]?
(The Lord Buddha responded) The malicious, or the inwardly angry, and the one with (blind) faith or the one who holds things incorrectly.
Mendicants, these two [types of persons] defame the Tathāgata.”
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.
"Others will misconstrue reality based on personal perspectives, firmly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our personal perspectives, nor firmly holding them, but easily discarded."

rowyourboat
Posts: 1949
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:29 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: What is a 'turner'?

Postby rowyourboat » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:36 pm

but there must be something more with long turns and short turns!
:cookoo:
:stirthepot:
:rofl:
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha


Return to “Classical Theravāda”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Google Saffron, Theravada Search Engine