What is a 'turner'?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Reductor

What is a 'turner'?

Post by Reductor »

In MN 10 the phrase:

"Just as a skilled turner or his apprentice, when making a long turn, discerns that he is making a long turn, or when making a short turn discerns that he is making a short turn

What is/was a turner?
Paññāsikhara

Re: What is a 'turner'?

Post by Paññāsikhara »

thereductor wrote:In MN 10 the phrase:

"Just as a skilled turner or his apprentice, when making a long turn, discerns that he is making a long turn, or when making a short turn discerns that he is making a short turn

What is/was a turner?
It is another name for a person who uses a "lathe". A "turner" "turns" at a "lathe".

Possibly the height of new fangled technology at the Buddha's time.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Paññāsikhara wrote:
thereductor wrote:...
What is/was a turner?
It is another name for a person who uses a "lathe". A "turner" "turns" at a "lathe".
Treadle powered back then, like the traditional potter's wheel or (more recently :tongue: ) your granny's sewing machine.
But I haven't got any pictures. :broke:

Kim
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

I thought it might be linked to carpentry. When I use a scroll saw for finishing work (carpentry) the mental focus is similar to that of watching the breath in anapanasati.

Thank you, venerable.
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Paññāsikhara wrote:
thereductor wrote:...
What is/was a turner?
Treadle powered back then, like the traditional potter's wheel or (more recently :tongue: ) your granny's sewing machine.
But I haven't got any pictures. :broke:

Kim
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

:twothumbsup:
:bow:

Kim
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I started this thread for a Alms Bowls and Ven. Dhammanandho gave some similar info aswell as some useful info.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... ner#p11732" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

but there must be something more with long turns and short turns!
:cookoo:
:stirthepot:
:rofl:
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha