Strange Sensation During Breathing Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Strange Sensation During Breathing Meditation

Postby Randolph1809 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:21 pm

Hello everyone,

I started doing breathing meditation earlier, after not meditating for months. Near the end of my meditation, I had a really strange sensation where my face and jaw started tingling.

After I got up I was really light headed and kind of wobbly. Is this normal sometimes, or was I not breathing properly? (I was trying to let the breath come naturally)

Thanks for your help.
Randolph1809

Re: Strange Sensation During Breathing Meditation

Postby Kenshou » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Tingly feelings aren't all that unusual. And I'd bet that perhaps you just stood up too quickly, however I believe that a slight meditation-induced vertigo isn't completely unheard of. You're probably doing just fine.
Kenshou

Postby Randolph1809 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:51 pm

Kenshou wrote:Tingly feelings aren't all that unusual. And I'd bet that perhaps you just stood up too quickly, however I believe that a slight meditation-induced vertigo isn't completely unheard of. You're probably doing just fine.

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. Tonight, when I go again I'll just go with the flow.
Randolph1809

Postby Goofaholix » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:05 pm

Tingling feelings are pretty normal. Actually you are tingling all over your body all the time but your mind is not subtle enough to notice it, meditation will enable you to develop that subtlety.

However your wobbilness could have been caused by your breathing to hard or too deeply, if so just relax and breath normally, or as mentioned before maybe you stood up too quickly.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby Randolph1809 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:01 am

Goofaholix wrote:Tingling feelings are pretty normal. Actually you are tingling all over your body all the time but your mind is not subtle enough to notice it, meditation will enable you to develop that subtlety.

However your wobbilness could have been caused by your breathing to hard or too deeply, if so just relax and breath normally, or as mentioned before maybe you stood up too quickly.

That's interesting about the tingling. Actually, I did stand up really fast , I guess I won't be doing that again.
Randolph1809

Return to Theravada Meditation