How did you understand non-self?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
rowyourboat

How did you understand non-self?

Post by rowyourboat »

How did you understand the non-self/not-self through your meditation? I think it is something worth talking about as it might point others in a useful direction (no guarantees though!) and is our duty as kalyanamittas. Undestanding non-self does not mean that person is enlightened and not even a stream entrant if I understand the insight knowledges correctly so please feel free to say how you feel. :smile:

I understood it when I saw non-continuous 'packets' of reality arising and passing away. It struck me if reality was just this, then there could be no doer, no continuous state which we could call the self.

It would be interesting to see how most people have understood it- this might be the most effective way perhaps!

with metta

RYB
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
catmoon

Re: How did you understand non-self?

Post by catmoon »

Just observing the continuing flow of mind-generated insanity was enough for me. It was so out of sync with my intentions that it seemed quite alien.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Interesting Catmoon. I think this is the first time I have heard this way of understanding non-self.

with metta

RYB
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

It works really well - if you happen to be insane. :rofl:
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Observing each phenomenon and noticing how it is not self, not controlled, nobody is "doing" it. Digging into the sense of the existence of there being something which is acting, and seeing that all there is is a chain of cause and effect. In things that we seem to "choose" to do, even those choices came about due to previous causes, and "I" didn't even really "choose" to do what I did.
Northernbuck

Post by Northernbuck »

I'm not up to that chapter yet. :D
But if this neutral feeling that has arisen is conditioned by the body which is impermanent, compounded and dependently arisen, how could such a neutral feeling be permanent? - SN 36.7
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Kenshou wrote:Observing each phenomenon and noticing how it is not self, not controlled, nobody is "doing" it. Digging into the sense of the existence of there being something which is acting, and seeing that all there is is a chain of cause and effect. In things that we seem to "choose" to do, even those choices came about due to previous causes, and "I" didn't even really "choose" to do what I did.
Hi Kenshou

So seeing that there was 'nobody doing it' was what did it for you. Did that happen at the point where you saw your choices arose from previous causes? I am curious about what practice you were doing when you saw this.

with metta

RYB
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

rowyourboat wrote: Did that happen at the point where you saw your choices arose from previous causes? I am curious about what practice you were doing when you saw this.
Yes, essentially. Though it isn't as if I "got" it, more like just seeing it for a moment after putting the process under scrutiny. The whole "illusion" comes back together pretty easily when not under the microscope.

I'm not doing anything unusual in my practice, my preferred method is samatha-oriented anapanasati, but once I have a firm state of concentration, I sometimes try and gently observe all the phenomena present and see how the 3 characteristics apply. Probably not much different than most vipassana meditation in essence.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Kenshou
Did a teacher tell you to look at choices in this manner or perhaps you read it somewhere? If you stumbled upon it on your own your are indeed fortunate!

With metta

RYB
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

What's going on in this sutta is pretty much what I try (keyword "try", ahem) to do. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whatever qualities there are in the _____ jhana — (....list of qualities of that jhana...) — he ferreted them out one after another. Known to him they arose, known to him they remained, known to him they subsided. He discerned, 'So this is how these qualities, not having been, come into play. Having been, they vanish.' He remained unattracted & unrepelled with regard to those qualities, independent, detached, released, dissociated...

I'm no expert, but it works for me.

Edit: Oh, I read too hastily. As for analyzing "choice" like that, I haven't gotten that from anywhere in particular, it's just a way of looking at things that works for me.
salmon

Post by salmon »

I was in a group sitting and I peeked. I noticed everyone sitting with their eyes closed, focused on their breathing. And so I asked myself what made me different from other people? The body? The mind? So, I started to break down my constitution of elements of the body and the mind. Then I did it for the person sitting in front of me, then the ones next to me. That was when I realized there is no difference between myself and the next person.
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Salmon
What constitituents did you break the mind and body down to? I take that you already knew the non-self concept but didn't have any convincing proof?

With metta

RYB
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
salmon

Post by salmon »

Hi RYB,

Prior to this experience, my understanding of non-self was just "it's not me, it's not mine." (ie. nothing belongs to me).

The non-self experience I had in that sitting was not about not "owning" anything but it was the realization that I am not a unique individual. Whatever happened to me, happens to others too and whatever happens to others would happen to me too. It was a humbling experience to realize I was not special! :tongue:

The constituents which I broke the body and mind into were really quite crude. It was mainly: muscles, skeleton and organs (more or less), the ability to think, the ability to feel (pain, anger, happiness), the ability to remember (brain functions).

I reported that experience to my teacher, who later, after I got over my shock, taught me the contemplation of the 32 body parts. And that took me to a greater understanding of what non-self is.

I'm just another bowl of fruit salad with perhaps a few more cubes of melon than the bowl on my right and a few less slices of apple than the bowl on my left :stirthepot:

Erm...does that make sense? :shrug:

EDIT: typos
Last edited by salmon on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
Freawaru

Post by Freawaru »

rowyourboat wrote:How did you understand the non-self/not-self through your meditation? I think it is something worth talking about as it might point others in a useful direction (no guarantees though!) and is our duty as kalyanamittas. Undestanding non-self does not mean that person is enlightened and not even a stream entrant if I understand the insight knowledges correctly so please feel free to say how you feel. :smile:

I understood it when I saw non-continuous 'packets' of reality arising and passing away. It struck me if reality was just this, then there could be no doer, no continuous state which we could call the self.

It would be interesting to see how most people have understood it- this might be the most effective way perhaps!

with metta

RYB
Hi RYB,

still not sure what the term "self" refers to but I can speak about recognising "this is not me, I am not it".

There are - in my experience - four ways of directly knowing this.

1) I see the thoughts, intentions, etc arise automatically, without anybody (especially not me) doing them. There is a very spacious impression with it, as if everything arises inside this space. The space is experienced as "this is me, I am that space in that feelings, etc arise and dissolve". There is an increase of temporal resolution and discernment depending on concentration.

2) I see the space described in 1) from an external perspective, knowing "this space in that everything arises and dissolves is not me, is not what I am". I get the impression of watching the mind of another, of someone else, of it all being external to me, there is a simultaneous recognition of "this is a being that I observe" as well as "it consists of processes and patterns, nobody is controling it, more like a program running" (of course not in a language). Temporal resolution is even more increased, seconds seem like eternities. It is very difficult (for me) to reflect on the observing subject during these experiences as the focus is on the observed processes, but it seems it is a kind of space, too, just pretty empty.

3) I experience both perspectives simultaneously. Really odd this one as I am two and one is aware and observing and discerning the other and this other is not aware of the first. Temporal resolution can vary.

4) I get a view from outside that space described in 2). From this perspective 2) seems like a border or skin or shell around the space described in 1). They appear like a kind of "ball", 1) is a closed space with 2) around it like the skin of the ball. Temporal resolution is so high it seems almost a standstill. Both "spaces" (1) and 2) ) can be annihilated at will (a different will - not the one arising in that space 1) ) - but it seems I didn't want it as my personality in space 1) is still intact. :P

Seriously, this is why I don't understand "atta" or "an-atta" and prefer to speak about perspectives.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Salmon
It does make sense. The idea that you are not a unique individual seems to chip away at the idea that there is a self, if I understood you correctly. I think this is a really useful way of working with conceit. I liked your fruit salad analogy :clap:
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha