YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Girl Scouts - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Girl Scouts

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Thaibebop

Re: Girl Scouts

Postby Thaibebop » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:24 pm

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:35 pm

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:43 pm

Reductor

Postby Reductor » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:41 pm

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:45 pm

baratgab

Postby baratgab » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:15 pm

Last edited by baratgab on Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just as in the great ocean there is but one taste — the taste of salt — so in this Doctrine and Discipline there is but one taste — the taste of freedom"

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:29 pm

Those who aquaint themselves with Dr Dawkin's stance on the status of non human beings should also aquaint themselves with his prominent and vigorous role in promoting a new facility for vivisection experiments on Primates , a campaign which was successful and which led to the facility opening last year, and is even as we speak, conducting a range of experiments on a number of Primate species. These include Anthropoid Apes.

baratgab

Postby baratgab » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:43 pm

"Just as in the great ocean there is but one taste — the taste of salt — so in this Doctrine and Discipline there is but one taste — the taste of freedom"

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi Thabebop, :hello:

It's an interesting dilemma and many thoughtful suggestions.

I have a six-year-old and they can sure be very impressionable and quickly pick up things from their peers, including beliefs. On the other hand I don't want to set my children against others who may have different beliefs to us. So while I share stories from the suttas and the Buddha's teachings with him, he knows that most other people (including grandparents) follow different teachings and believe in god and that's OK. I teach him that all religions encourage us to be kind to one another and do good while avoiding doing bad stuff. And that's a good thing so we respect all religions.

That way he doesn't set himself in opposition to others, think he is right and they are wrong, etc. At school they have RE (religious education) which tends to be about god at least so far. I try to ask him critical questions and promote an agnostic attitude but on the other hand, serving god can be translated as doing good, since god is meant to be a force of good after all.

So I'd encourage Buddhist parents who are embedded in Christian cultures to do this "translation work" - after all, it's not like the kids are told to do anything bad, it's just the Christian lingo that's used. Besides I think it's a good idea to be respectful of the dominant religion no matter where we are. This promotes a healthy open attitude rather than hostility.

In any case, Good Luck, thaibebop!!!
_/|\_

RayfieldNeel

Postby RayfieldNeel » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:52 pm

The Scouting experience will vary widely, depending on the leader and the group..my own time in the Boy Scouts (30 years ago) involved nothing that was overtly or forcibly religious, and certainly nothing that was paramilitary. Churches tend to be the hosts for Scout troops in my area, and I suppose some churches may be more involved than others.

Parenting and religious beliefs...whew, this can be a topic with a lot of contention. For me, growing up in the Methodist Church, the key factor was my parents. They were Christians, and we attended, but my parents were somewhat open-minded, and never tried to use fear to force a belief down my throat. This, to me, was a much bigger factor than the fact that I was in Boy Scouts, was baptized, went through Methodist Confirmation, etc. All of that happened to me, yet here I sit, years later, more Buddhist than anything else.

Long story short...I'm not sure I'd worry so much about a tiny bit of God indoctrination. If the parenting is done correctly, without fear and hate, and with good example, the kid will find the path that suits them...and that's the goal, right? Not to make little clones of ourselves. Where ever you move, there will be someone around that wants to convince them that their belief system is the best one. Just make sure that the kid has the intellectual tools and open mind to figure things out. :smile:

This is how I'm raising my 2 daughters. My eldest is now to the point where I think she'd detect when we're trying to hold her back from something...and that might intrigue her with it all the more. She's a bright kid..certainly smarter than her old man. :tongue:

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:22 pm

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:40 pm

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:48 pm

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:56 pm

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:09 am

notself

Postby notself » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:21 am

As others have said, Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts are basically religious and nationalistic in nature. So what. I was a girl scout and it didn't kill me. What you should do is always ask your daughter what she thinks of things. Use the scouts as an opportunity to teach her to accept the rights of others to believe in "whatever" without joining them. It is a good opportunity for you to open clear communication about Buddhism.

Pulling her out of scouts will just delay the inevitable peer pressure she will be subjected to later on in school. She will be pressured to conform to Christianity by her peers and here teachers. America is not a tolerant of differences as we would all like to believe. It is a predominately Christian nation and evangelicals are taught to seek out positions where they can influence and convert others. Scouting is one of many such organizations that they join. Your daughter needs to develop mental protection as soon as she can. Besides, the scouts can teach her a lot of practical things. Why don't you join her troop as a co-leader?

Buy this book and keep the troop on track to qualify for as many badges as possible, besides the cookie badge.

http://www.girlscoutshop.com/GSUSAOnlin ... icked=true
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:30 am

notself

Postby notself » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:34 am

Well, you have your solution. She needs to focus her activities a bit, spending more time with some and dropping others. Happens all the time.

As for the books in school, take her to the library and get books that coordinate with her texts. If she is studying the Alamo, then get her a book about how little Mexican girls live. There are lots and lots of books for children that are specifically aimed at correcting the drivel of American text books. You don't want her to be argumentative or suspicious of school. You want her to be well informed and able to analyze information.

You might as well start watching NOVA right now, because her text books certainly won't cover evolution, the scientific method or any other scientific material.
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:38 am

notself

Postby notself » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:04 am

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”