Muchalinda Lake - actual site

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
salmon
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Muchalinda Lake - actual site

Postby salmon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:34 am

I've read that the current site of the Muchalinda Lake/Tank is not the original site. I haven't been able to find any documentation about the actual site where the Naga King protected the Buddha from the rains. So I'm going to try my luck here to see if anyone else might know?

~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~

David N. Snyder
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: Muchalinda Lake - actual site

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:22 am

If I'm not mistaken, the naga - serpent protected the Buddha from the storm shortly after enlightenment, so it would be in or very near to the original Bodhi Tree in Bodh Gaya.

Sekha

Postby Sekha » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:41 am

there is such a pond within the mahabodhi temple site's fence. It should be there...
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org

As a sweet-smelling and beautiful lotus flower may grow upon a heap of rubbish thrown on the highway, so also, out of the rubbish heap of beings may appear a disciple of the Buddha, who with his wisdom, shines resplendent in wisdom. -/ Dhp 58-59

salmon

Postby salmon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:07 am

Hi,

the pond which both mention is the current Muchalinda pond. I've attached an except of one of the websites which mention that the current location is inaccurate.

A Japala Nuga Tree was situated in the eastern section of Maha Bodhi across the river Neranjana. Presently the place is marked on the east point of entry to Maha Bodhi. Mucalinda cetiya is situated about two miles from the Neranjana river’s upper bank. Even now this village is called Muchalinda. The present Muchalinda pond had been built when the Maha Bodhi Vihara was built. The earlier site is now only a mound of earth. The present statue with the hooded cobra sheltering the Buddha and amidst the pond had been built by Burmese.

Taken from: http://www.infolanka.com/org/srilanka/religion/14.htm

PS. I will be away in Sri Lanka for the next two weeks so I will not be able to respond to this thread til I'm back :hello:
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”