YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Bhikkhuni Ordination performed - by Ajahn Brahmavamso - Page 25 - Dhamma Wheel

Bhikkhuni Ordination performed - by Ajahn Brahmavamso

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
notself

Re: Bhikkhuni Ordination performed - by Ajahn Brahmavamso

Postby notself » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:57 pm

Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:07 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

notself

Postby notself » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103

notself

Postby notself » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:30 am

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:53 am

Hi Notself
So it isn't a duck that walks and quacks like a duck, but something which isn't a duck?

you said When a religion becomes the official religion it takes on a need for hierarchy where before none was requires.

I said hierarchy is within the sangha without it being part of a state institution. if I was aiming to prove anything else I would of given direct references. you implied that there was no hierarchy within the sangha before states started adopting it which is false. how the sangha adapted to meet/talk to the state and the level of involvement the state has to do with how buddhism is expressed is something one of our Thai Sangha members can answer if they so choose!

and like appicchato said "We're all compromised, in some fashion, just by virtue of being..." my take on that is twofold - we all have systems to work within - and greed hatred and delusion is in all of us to some extent.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

notself

Postby notself » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:13 pm

Read the entire link from my previous post for a different point of view on bhikkhuni ordination, the sangha and hierarchy. Whether Buddhism is the offical state religion or the unofficial state religion, politics and religions are deeply intertwined in Thailand and effect decisions made by the sangha.

Yes we are all subject to imperfections and unskillful behavior, but linking politics with religion exacerbates the unskillful.

Perhaps I am being sensitive because just as I see politics taking over Buddhism in Thailand, I see Christianity taking over politics in the USA.

Lars

Postby Lars » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:00 pm

Bankei

Postby Bankei » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:51 pm

-----------------------
Bankei

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:39 am

A very different but hilarious perspective. Hitler hits out at bhikkhuni ordination

[ Link removed ]

Edit: Yea, Jack ( post below) may be right...this may be a bit extreme. It's hilarious only if one takes a position on the issue. I'll remove the link from this forum, but anyone who wants to view it can search for it on youtube with the phrase above. Apologies to anyone offended.
Last edited by pilgrim on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:24 am

...but it's pretty hilarious nevertheless! :jumping:

(sometimes it's good not to take things too seriously... maybe...)
_/|\_

Bankei

Postby Bankei » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:05 am

Yeah very funny. In truth it was probably very similar to that.
-----------------------
Bankei

Bankei

Postby Bankei » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:14 am

-----------------------
Bankei

bodhabill

Postby bodhabill » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:14 am

"Complaining is finding faults, wisdom is finding solutions" Ajahn Brahm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:26 am

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:26 am

My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: .

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:19 am

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Sekha

Postby Sekha » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org

Virgo

Postby Virgo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:37 pm

visalemc

Postby visalemc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:33 am

Can someone please explain to me what is the big deal about all of this?

Thai law forbids bhikkhuni ordination. What does this have to do with Buddhism? Why don't we just let the Thais be? It's Thai law. Let's keep the Buddha Dhamma out of this.

[EDIT: Personal attack on these Thai monks in question removed. Retro.]

Let's not forget folks what the Buddha has said about ascetic practices or any practice for that matter. They are just expedient means, the raft to be abandoned when no longer needed. Let's us not automatically give these guys our respect because they can sit all night in the full-lotus position. Even a rock can sit for weeks without moving. Or go days without eating. Folks, one can have supranormal powers without wisdom. And wisdom is what we should be evaluating.

I don't hesitate to inform these Thai monks that they are not the last word as far as the Buddha Dhamma is concerned. [EDIT: Personal attack on these Thai monks in question removed. Retro.]

I applaud the Bhikkhunis and all those who have helped make the ordination possible. Let the Thais be. Let them keep their own self-importance. Let them nurse their wounded, childish pride in peace.

Come to the US, Australia, Canada. Let these places do the real work of encouraging the fourfold assembly.

MODERATOR NOTE: Please desist from such attacks, and familiarise yourself with the Terms Of Service for this forum prior to posting again.

Return to “Ordination and Monastic Life”