Practicing with no sangha

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Bodhisurfer

Re: Practicing with no sangha

Post by Bodhisurfer »

Hiya,

I too live quite some way from the nearest Therevada centre. Meditate everyday, listen to the sutras and commentarys on my mp3 player, read... I'm sure you know how it is. :smile:

And tell the kids that as soon as theyre grown, I'm off to become a monk :tongue:
Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

I think to answer your question simply; at one time it probably was necessary, but nowadays with the advent of places such as this, usefull websites, books and youtube etc it can be easier to practice by ones self. But having said that, if there is a Dhamma centre nearby, you probably would benefit from visiting.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
RayfieldNeel

Post by RayfieldNeel »

I'm not yet sure about where it's going...but I'm a bit intrigued with the Second Life Buddhist centers that have sprung up. The only ones I've sampled are actually in the Zen tradition, but it's interesting to take your avatar to a dharma talk, and "sit" with other people in that setting. Every sees you, (your avatar), and who you identify yourself as, and some of the teachers are fairly well known in their circles.

Obviously not as engaging as actual attendance, but more so than my podcasts. :)
dawgfvr

Post by dawgfvr »

I think we all need reinforcement...buddies along the path and someday, hopefully, a teacher to mentor us. Still...there are times...and places...where we have to go it alone for awhile and I always refer to the following statement...not sure who made it...but I revere/cherish it:

"The real practice of Buddhism is based on purification of conduct by way of body and speech, followed by purification of the mind, which in turn leads to insight and right understanding"

I can always practice this dharma...and never seem to get beyond the body and speech conduct-polishing...let alone grappling with the mind.
nschauer

Post by nschauer »

I have been practicing with no sanga for over two years. My main source of information/inspiration has been Gil Fronsdale at IMC - all talks. I am glad I found this forum because I am beginning to feel that I need to communicate about my meditation - and to hear from others on the path.
The main disadvantage about solo practice for me is that I don't really know as much of the Pali canon as others. I have also basically rejected the notion of rebirth - except as I know it within my own life ( changing from teen to adult - from asleep to awake).
I also find it difficult to actually say anything about the experience of following this path - because to say anything might be more about 'self' than about the path. Also, in the course of meditation - it is difficult to communicate what is happening - because it is all stuff to become aware of - thus there is nothing to do about it expect investigate the different states I am in. How does one have a conversation about becoming aware - if the conversation is not adopting views or clinging to ideas?
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Jakob wrote:Yes ofcourse :) - I live in the northern part of Jutland, Denmark.
Where is Anders?

Anders is an old ESangha member from Denmark, who used to frequent Dhamma Wheel too, I think. He may know some contacts. In the meantime I would agree - there is much that can be done on one's own but the importance of a serious retreat with a good teacher cannot be underestimated.

Good luck!!!
_/|\_