Lying Down

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Collective

Lying Down

Post by Collective »

Is there any other reason I shouldn't meditate lying down other than I may doze off? When I used to do Yoga Nidra, you had to lie down, and it was ok. I'm thinking of adopting a lying down position with my meditation but there seems to be a negative outlook to this.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks all :namaste:
tiltbillings

Re: Lying Down

Post by tiltbillings »

Collective wrote:Is there any other reason I shouldn't meditate lying down other than I may doze off? When I used to do Yoga Nidra, you had to lie down, and it was ok. I'm thinking of adopting a lying down position with my meditation but there seems to be a negative outlook to this.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks all
If it works for you, good. The only way to find out is to try it.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

If you don't tend to fall asleep, it's good. After all, it is one of the four postures (sitting, standing, walking, lying). There are some tricks to avoid falling asleep: don't do lying down meditation in your bed or the spot you normally sleep, and don't use the posture you mainly sleep in. I like this posture because it allows me to do relative long meditations (compared to sitting). It's more comfortable and there is less inclination to move the body.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Collective

Post by Collective »

Agreed, I'd like to be that comfortable that I can focus entirely on my meditation and not about any pains and/or strains. Though those too can be handy on times.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

It's one of the four postures.

K
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Moggalana wrote:If you don't tend to fall asleep, it's good.
I tend to reserve this posture for when either meditation or sleep would be desirable outcomes... then whichever way it goes is a good result.

:zzz: :meditate: :zzz: :meditate: :zzz: :meditate: :?:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It is useful if you're sick, or if you cannot sleep well at night. It is not recommended for healthy people because it is too easy to fall asleep. The secret to staying awake is to remain absolutely still. Lie on the floor with just a carpet or futon. Before very long you will probably get some painful sensations to focus on and keep you awake. Lie on your right side, and do not move a muscle. Sweep your attention down the body from head to foot, noting the main points of contact. Otherwise, note the rising and falling of the abdomen, or the touch of the breath.

While in Burma, due to the extreme heat, I used lying down meditation as it was a little cooler and less stressful during the heat of the day. With only a straw mat and a hard wooden bed to lie on, it was fairly easy to stay awake for an hour or two, but it was not an easy option.

Be careful that “lying down” meditation doesn't become “lying” meditation. ;)
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Ben

Post by Ben »

My experience with meditation while lying down besides as a prelude to sleep during retreats, was after abdominal surgery about five years ago.
I wouldnt recommend it for day-to-day practicce.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Fruitzilla

Post by Fruitzilla »

If you've got an Alexander Technique teacher in your neighbourhood, you might want to contact him/her.

There's a lying down practice in the Alexander Technique called "active rest", which, if handled correctly, pretty much makes sure you won't get sleepy or drowsy, but calm, awake and clear while lying down.

Here's a link to look at:
http://voice-training.blog.co.uk/2009/1 ... t-7555195/
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

The Buddha seems to advise to remain for as little as possible in a lying position:
As soon as you wake up, get up quickly, with the thought, 'I won't stay indulging in the pleasure of lying down, the pleasure of reclining, the pleasure of drowsiness.'
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think if he gave this recommandation even to Ven. Maha Moggallana, that means we should consider it relevant for us poor unwise fellows.
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;