Peace Corps

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
KevinL

Peace Corps

Post by KevinL »

Before I got interested in Buddhism, I was always very passionate about human beings and helping those in need. I guess that's one of the reasons why I began looking into the peace corps. I was just curious as to what the people on this forum thought of that kind of thing. Or is there another way to do the same thing but without going through the government?
Cittasanto

Re: Peace Corps

Post by Cittasanto »

Whats the peace corps?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
KevinL

Post by KevinL »

Sorry I should explain. I keep forgetting that a lot of the users on this forum are from the UK or elsewhere.

The Peace Corps basically is a US government sponsored group that goes to third world countries and helps out there in a variety of different ways, from teaching kids english to construction and social work for troubled children.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Manapa wrote:Whats the peace corps?
It is one of JFK's better ideas:

http://www.peacecorps.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

Its a good idea to live and work in a developing country. But probably best not to do it in a government organisation like this.
-----------------------
Bankei
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Can you give us some ideas about alternatives, Bankei (or anyone else)?
Links?

Thanks,
Kim
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Many of the organisations on this page would welcome volunteers
http://www.parami.org/duta/buddhistwelfare.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Thanks, Pilgrim.
:namaste:
Kim
KevinL

Post by KevinL »

Thanks for the link pilgrim. I contacted a few of those organizations. We'll see if they're accepting volunteers.
Bodhisurfer

Post by Bodhisurfer »

pilgrim wrote:Many of the organisations on this page would welcome volunteers
http://www.parami.org/duta/buddhistwelfare.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thanks very much for this Pilgrim. I had been looking to make some donations towards some Buddhist welfare organisations.
Bhante Wimala's work seems particularly inspiring to me. :anjali:
Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

a few of the americans who ordained in thailand got there via peace corps (jack kornfield, santikaro etc) there's worse you could do than join the peace corps.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat