Watching movies if you are a monk

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Individual

Re: Watching movies if you are a monk

Post by Individual »

appicchato wrote:
Individual: Ven. Appicchato, is that not itself a value judgment?
Quite possibly...or maybe a feeling, or a notion, or a sentiment, or an impression, or a perception, or a take, or a conclusion,
or an estimation, or a thought, or a reflection, or a guess, or a hunch, or an angle, or a perspective, or a slant...and, possibly/ultimately, fuuu-tile... :smile:

Or is that an opinion?... :coffee:
Hmm. How do all the terms you just used above correspond to the language used in the Pali canon? :ugeek:

(I'm just kidding with you! You don't have to answer that last question. You made a good point about value-judgments. :twothumbsup:)
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Robert,
robertk wrote:Some Tibetan monks are good at soccer. When i was at the temple in Lumbini (where the Buddha was born, one of the four most holy places) directly accross from the temple, a professional looking team , all in robes and with their coach also robed , were playing. I don't know if it concurs with Tibetan Vinaya but they were very earnest.
Years ago I met an Italian Theravadin monk called Mahinda or Milinda or something like that, who told me about his stay at a certain Tibetan monastery in Italy. While he was there one of the resident monks informed him one day that they would be holding the Vajra Cup later that week and asked him if he'd be interested in taking part.
"Sure," replied Mahinda, thinking that the Vajra Cup must be the name of some Tibetan ritual.
"Great, our team's one player short. Which position would you prefer?"

The Vajra Cup, it turned out, was an annual soccer match between the Tibetan-ordained monks in Italy and those in Germany. Mahinda then explained that it was out of the question — in the Pali Vinaya, balls and other playthings aren't even to be touched by a bhikkhu, let alone played with. His hosts were okay about this, but later one of them approached Mahinda and said: "We understand that your vows prohibit playing football, but would you mind being the referee?"

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Bhante!
That was just priceless!
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

:rofl:
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

:lol:
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Tex

Post by Tex »

:jumping:
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

hmmm i didnt know that, or remember that, about the balls... interesting.. i guess it wouldnt have matterd much to me as im not a fan of any sort of sport, so if i had learned that it woulda just be like; oh yeah, not gonna have to worry about that one...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings everyone,

The posts on different football codes have been moved off to the Lounge.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
AlaskanDhamma

Post by AlaskanDhamma »

Well the monks at my and JC's Wat recieved a 42" TV (give or take) as a "donation". lol. But in defense of this, we mostly use it to watch Dhamma movies and to entertain the young children that frequent the temple. That movie "The Cup" sounds very interesting.
"Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace." -Buddha