Meditation to gain enlightenment?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
lppaefans

Meditation to gain enlightenment?

Post by lppaefans »

All,

Hi.

i have a a question. :smile: :smile:

will mainly conducting mediation alone can leads one to enlightment?

care to share you views about this??

I have two groups of buddhist friends. One say no and one say yes.

hope to gain more replies here..

may all be happy always. :buddha1: :buddha1: :buddha1:
Jechbi

Re: Meditation to gain enlightenment?

Post by Jechbi »

No, I don't think so. You gotta have eight spokes to support the wheel.
:smile:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
lppaefans

Post by lppaefans »

Jechbi wrote:No, I don't think so. You gotta have eight spokes to support the wheel.

thanks for sharing..the 8 spokes are?
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

8 fold path
meditation is only two of those

but yeah, i was always curious as to just how one becomes enlightened by sitting down and shutting up... (i know i'm over simplifing)
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I agree you need the FULL Eightfold Path.

a pretty good article is on Wiki.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
fig tree

Post by fig tree »

jcsuperstar wrote:8 fold path
meditation is only two of those

but yeah, i was always curious as to just how one becomes enlightened by sitting down and shutting up... (i know i'm over simplifing)
Consider the sutta here: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html. It lays out a chain of cause-and-effect. The bit about knowing and seeing things as they are is rather important.

Knowing about the five hindrances also might make the relationship between meditation and seeing things as they are less puzzling. The hindrances get in the way of knowing and seeing things as they are, and the desirable meditative states are ones where the hindrances are suppressed. That's still only a temporary freedom, but it paves the way for permanent eradication of your bondage.

Fig Tree
siaophengyou

Post by siaophengyou »

Dear lppaefans,

What about the Perfections or Paramis ? One may not realize the Real Happiness without enough Parami.

metta,

siaophengyou
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

lppaefans wrote:will mainly conducting mediation alone can leads one to enlightment?

care to share you views about this??

I have two groups of buddhist friends. One say no and one say yes.
I suspect that your friends who say "yes" think about it this way:

Meditation leads to insight. Insight leads to wanting to modifying the rest of one's life to be more in line with the rest of the Noble Eightfold Path. As the rest of one's life gets in order, meditation deepens which means insight deepens, which means one's conduct is modified even more. Some people think "I am not comfortable doing something just because the Buddha said so." This view is why some people say "yes" to your question.

I suspect those that say "no" think about it this way:

One can meditate all they want but in the rest of their life isn't in line with the Noble Eightfold Path then enlightenment will be impossible. Some people think "I can still lie and steal and kill and as long as I meditate I can get enlightened." This wrong view is why some people say "no" to your question.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
bodom

Post by bodom »

I am not one way or the other on this topic but i have heard of a meditation master who claimed that "The breath can take you all the way to enlightenment." Im not sure who it was all i know is that i read it in Gil Fronsdals book The Issue at Hand. Maybe he was just saying that one meditation "technique" is enough. Who knows? I just thought it was a cool quote. :lol:

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

I was thinking about this today, though from a slightly different angle. Please delete if it's too far off-topic:

Some -- perhaps a lot of -- people walk around imagining quietly, "I am not enlightened." And from there, it's a short step to wishing to be enlightened.

But the thought that crossed my mind was this: In order to know you are not enlightened, you would, of necessity, need to know what enlightenment was. And if you actually did know what enlightenment was, would it honestly be enlightenment?
Books and descriptions and angels on the head of a pin cannot adequately capture the meaning of enlightenment so ... how could anyone truthfully say they were unenlightened?

Brain teasers like this encourage me ... don't fret; just practice. :)
bodom

Post by bodom »

genkaku wrote:I was thinking about this today, though from a slightly different angle. Please delete if it's too far off-topic:

Some -- perhaps a lot of -- people walk around imagining quietly, "I am not enlightened." And from there, it's a short step to wishing to be enlightened.

But the thought that crossed my mind was this: In order to know you are not enlightened, you would, of necessity, need to know what enlightenment was. And if you actually did know what enlightenment was, would it honestly be enlightenment?
Books and descriptions and angels on the head of a pin cannot adequately capture the meaning of enlightenment so ... how could anyone truthfully say they were unenlightened?

Brain teasers like this encourage me ... don't fret; just practice. :)
The Buddha's description of Nibbana or Enlightenment:

"This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications, the relinquishment of all acquisitions, the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Nibbana."

— AN 3.32

I still have way too much attachment and suffering in my life to be Enlightened.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

A few thoughts:
fig tree wrote:... the desirable meditative states are ones where the hindrances are suppressed. That's still only a temporary freedom, but it paves the way for permanent eradication of your bondage.
I'd amend this to say that some desireable meditate states might be thought to suppress hindrances. Other desireable states face the hindrances directly.
bodom_bad_boy wrote:... i have heard of a meditation master who claimed that "The breath can take you all the way to enlightenment."
That's probably meant as an encouragement to keep on meditating, not as an encouragement to meditate at the exclusion of the rest of practice. You might not know the moment enlightenment comes. It doesn't always come in meditation, as the suttas illustrate. But lots of factors preceed it, so if it happens during meditation, there's some other stuff that happened earlier in life to help set the stage, like good sila for instance.
genkaku wrote:In order to know you are not enlightened, you would, of necessity, need to know what enlightenment was.
Does a blind man know what darkness is? How can a blind man know he's blind?
genkaku wrote:And if you actually did know what enlightenment was, would it honestly be enlightenment?
Why wouldn't it be?

Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Its a tough one to answer and i dont think there is a universal answer as it does come down to the individual. Certainely meditation is important but I wouldnt say its all there is. Sutta study is very helpful in increasing understanding of your practice.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
bodom

Post by bodom »

Did the Buddhas original disciples study scripture? No, they just practiced and they reached the deathless. Find a good teacher.

- BB
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

The scriptures are the message of the buddha, his disciples did study his word and reflect on it.

If one cannot get to a teacher then the suttas are extremely helpful to the practise.

“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”