cittanupassana

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
rowyourboat

Re: cittanupassana

Post by rowyourboat »

what is delusion? I have always found this list helpful (vipallasa -perversions)
1) thinking the impermanent is permanent
2) thinking the unsatisfactory is satisfactory
3) thinking the not-self is self
4) thinking the unwholesome is wholesome

you can do both body/breath and mind mindfulness at different times. They will support each other.

with metta

RYB
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Thai_Theravada

Post by Thai_Theravada »

Last edited by Thai_Theravada on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

To what are mind objects, objects Thai Theravada ?
Thai_Theravada

Post by Thai_Theravada »

Hi PeterB

If i misunderstood please give me the explanation,
But In Thai, we didn't use the word like "Mind Object"
because the definition of the word "Object" :
"An object is anything that has a fixed shape or form, that you can touch or see"
It totally differ from the qualification of mind.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Thai_Theravada,

What is being referred to here is the 3rd of the 4 frames of references (or foundations of mindfulness) found in the Satipatthana Sutta...

Extract from MN 10: Satipatthana Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"And how does a monk remain focused on the mind in & of itself? There is the case where a monk, when the mind has passion, discerns that the mind has passion. When the mind is without passion, he discerns that the mind is without passion. When the mind has aversion, he discerns that the mind has aversion. When the mind is without aversion, he discerns that the mind is without aversion. When the mind has delusion, he discerns that the mind has delusion. When the mind is without delusion, he discerns that the mind is without delusion.

"When the mind is constricted, he discerns that the mind is constricted. When the mind is scattered, he discerns that the mind is scattered. When the mind is enlarged, he discerns that the mind is enlarged. When the mind is not enlarged, he discerns that the mind is not enlarged. When the mind is surpassed, he discerns that the mind is surpassed. When the mind is unsurpassed, he discerns that the mind is unsurpassed. When the mind is concentrated, he discerns that the mind is concentrated. When the mind is not concentrated, he discerns that the mind is not concentrated. When the mind is released, he discerns that the mind is released. When the mind is not released, he discerns that the mind is not released.

"In this way he remains focused internally on the mind in & of itself, or externally on the mind in & of itself, or both internally & externally on the mind in & of itself. Or he remains focused on the phenomenon of origination with regard to the mind, on the phenomenon of passing away with regard to the mind, or on the phenomenon of origination & passing away with regard to the mind. Or his mindfulness that 'There is a mind' is maintained to the extent of knowledge & remembrance. And he remains independent, unsustained by (not clinging to) anything in the world. This is how a monk remains focused on the mind in & of itself.
I agree that "mind object" isn't a particularly good translation - "quality of mind" would be better.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Thai_Theravada

Post by Thai_Theravada »

Hi Retro

Since I've just jointed the board,
I found that it hard for me to find
the English word that fit to the meaning we use
in Thai or Pali.

Using word Jitta's action may not correct
"Phenomenal" is more suite.
Last edited by Thai_Theravada on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Welcome, Thai_Theravada

If you know the Pali terms you might find it useful to look up the translations and summaries in, for example Ven Nyanatiloka's excellent dictionary:
http://what-buddha-said.net/library/Bud ... ict.n2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

E.g. http://what-buddha-said.net/library/Bud ... .htm#citta" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta
Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Thai_Theravada,

Feel free to use any Pali words you know.

We may know them already, or if not, you give us a valuable learning opportunity to look them up in a Buddhist Dictionary like the one Mike referenced.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Thai_Theravada

Post by Thai_Theravada »

Thanks for Mike and Retro
effort

Post by effort »

Thai_Theravada wrote:Hi Retro
But my Ajahn've told like
"If you want to practice cittanupassna
you must study about the mind like
the qualification of mind first"
hello :hello:

what is the qualification of mind?
what is delusion? I have always found this list helpful (vipallasa -perversions)
1) thinking the impermanent is permanent
2) thinking the unsatisfactory is satisfactory
3) thinking the not-self is self
4) thinking the unwholesome is wholesome
but when the mind is ignorant and dusty how someone could notice this ignorance and delusion, if you see that you are not any more deluded.
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Here you will find an English translation of the text "For You the Newcomer" (PDF) by Ajahn Pramote, a Thai meditation teacher who is following the style of Cittanupassana very much like Shwe Oo Min in Burma.

http://dhamma.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
effort

Post by effort »

thank you venerable,

it is helpful, the pdf is available with this address:

http://www.yellowdocuments.com/21148895 ... r-a-simple" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

gavesako wrote:Here you will find an English translation of the text "For You the Newcomer" (PDF) by Ajahn Pramote, a Thai meditation teacher who is following the style of Cittanupassana very much like Shwe Oo Min in Burma.

http://dhamma.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Thai recommended Ajahn Pramote on one of these boards a while ago but i got the impression that he was only teaching in Thai. Do you know if he can accept students with little or no Thai?
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Thai_Theravada

Post by Thai_Theravada »

Namusakarn Pra Ajahn Gavesago, Anumodana with your suggestion :anjali:

Hi effort,

"Sati" is the answer,
because when you observe your mind
with sati the delusion can't be hide
you from the real nature of mind
and the nature of mind or qualifaction of mind that you
observed will getting along with somewhat express on Tripitok.

Hi Goofaholix,
Goofaholix wrote:i got the impression that he was only teaching in Thai. Do you know if he can accept students with little or no Thai?
I'm not sure what you mean "accept" , but you can visit his mediation center called Santidhamm (not everyday but the open day will announce on the web month by month and teaching only by Thai language)
If you mean ordain or stay with in the mediation center,at this time, I think no.