Truffles

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Ben

Truffles

Post by Ben »

Hi everyone

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had experience cooking with black truffles (summer truffle, Tuber Melanosporum).
I'm seeking a recipe, preferably vegetarian, that showcases truffle. Hopefully, something that someone has tried for themselves and can recommend.
Thanks for your assistance.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sanghamitta

Re: Truffles

Post by Sanghamitta »

I f you eat eggs Ben, grate the truffles thinly over scrambled eggs.
Or grate them into frying onions and then add rinsed and drained rice and ccoking liquid. Water or veg stock and cook. It will perfume the rice.
Do you get truffles in Oz ? :smile:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Sanghamitta

Yes, as it turns out, the only farm in Australia that commercially produces truffles is not far away at Mole Creek. "Truffles Australis" http://www.trufflesaustralis.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. A couple of weeks ago after telling some friends about my experience on the summer school course 'cuisine design' that I attended in January, we decided to have a 'truffle night'.
The truffles I ordered were the very last of the summer truffle season so they're a bit special and I am looking forward to sharing them with some good friends on Sunday night.
Thank you for your suggestion. A friend who is a chef said that one could store a truffle amongst eggs in a sealable jar for a few days and the eggs will be infused with the truffle flavour!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

NB The Eggs thing only works with fresh truffles Ben. If they are dried or in brine they need cooking.
Another good recipe is truffles with mashed potatos, ( soak them in hot water for an hour or so if dried ), then grate, and add them to boiled potatoes while still hot and mash them in with butter, milk or vegan alternatives.

Yes the flavour of truffle will penetrate eggshells... :smile:

You might want to try truffle oil sometime, but with GREAT caution its incredibly strong.

Bhikku Bodhi.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ben,

I hope your meal turns out better than Cunda's offering to the Buddha, interpreted by some translators as a form of truffle dish.

:stirthepot:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Sanghamitta
No, these are fresh truffles. They were in the ground only a day ago!
Yes, I hope to use the offcuts to infuse in a bottle of high-quality extra-virgin olive oil to make my own truffle oil.
I think it would be a good way to preserve some of the truffle flavour and use at a later time as the fresh truffles only have a shelf-life of three weeks, and the winter (white) truffles are three times more expensive than the black summer truffles.
I was planning, at some stage, to baste some peeled potatoes in truffle oil and roast them.
Thanks for your suggestion of mashed truffle potatoes!
metta

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

and interpreted by others as gone-off pork as you well know Retro.. :smile:

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Do Oz truffle farmers use pigs or dogs to find their crop by smell Ben, as they do in Italy and France ?

Bhikku Bodhi.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Paul
I hope so too but I am confident that what I am offering to my friends will be fit for human consumption!
And no, I won't be serving pork either!

Hi Sanghamitta,

They use a dog, a springer spaniel.
kind regards

Ben
Attachments
annadogst.jpg
annadogst.jpg (17.66 KiB) Viewed 4187 times

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

try All recepies.com they have tones of recepies and many are reviewed by people who have tried the recipies.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Fede

Post by Fede »

Tartufo nero, is of course a rich delicacy in Italy, particularly where my parents live, in Umbria (next door to Tuscany).
The scenery in the autumn is simply breathtaking, and the autumnal hues are also celebrated by a great gathering of wild forest mushrooms, and of course, truffles.

Because of the intense ans unique flavour, it's actually best to eat them as simply as possible.
And the best way, is either in a good, rich creamy risotto, or on plain tagliatelle, if possible, made with truffles.

If this appeals, let me know. I'll be happy to supply recipes. (In English.... ;) )
(They may not fit well with the concept of "wellness diet and fitness", but a little of what you fancy, does you good...!)
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Manapa and Fede!
metta

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ben,

Are you any closer to deciding what the dish will be?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Retro

Sorry for the delay in gettng back to you.
Yes, I have decided the menu plan.

My friend, another 'Ben' is making some ravioli as an entree
As we're having a pasta dish for entree, I've decided against a truffle risotto or truffle tagliatelle and to balance the ravioli with some non-carbo dishes.
Instead, I will make:
- classic black truffle frittata
- stuffed aubergine (eggplant)
- beans uccelletto
- green salad
- ciabatta (currently baking in the oven as we speak)

For the two boys, I'm I'm making pizza and I've just pre-baked the bases. However, I think I've scorched the pizza bases!!
My friend Xavier is bringing a fruit-based desert.
Kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Fede

Post by Fede »

all that sweet sand.... clogs the system......

I'd have a sorbet..... :tongue:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;