Truffles

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Truffles

Postby Ben » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:54 am

Hi everyone

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had experience cooking with black truffles (summer truffle, Tuber Melanosporum).
I'm seeking a recipe, preferably vegetarian, that showcases truffle. Hopefully, something that someone has tried for themselves and can recommend.
Thanks for your assistance.
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Re: Truffles

Postby Sanghamitta » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:24 am

I f you eat eggs Ben, grate the truffles thinly over scrambled eggs.
Or grate them into frying onions and then add rinsed and drained rice and ccoking liquid. Water or veg stock and cook. It will perfume the rice.
Do you get truffles in Oz ? :smile:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Ben » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:38 am

Hi Sanghamitta

Yes, as it turns out, the only farm in Australia that commercially produces truffles is not far away at Mole Creek. "Truffles Australis" http://www.trufflesaustralis.com.au/. A couple of weeks ago after telling some friends about my experience on the summer school course 'cuisine design' that I attended in January, we decided to have a 'truffle night'.
The truffles I ordered were the very last of the summer truffle season so they're a bit special and I am looking forward to sharing them with some good friends on Sunday night.
Thank you for your suggestion. A friend who is a chef said that one could store a truffle amongst eggs in a sealable jar for a few days and the eggs will be infused with the truffle flavour!
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Sanghamitta » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:44 am

NB The Eggs thing only works with fresh truffles Ben. If they are dried or in brine they need cooking.
Another good recipe is truffles with mashed potatos, ( soak them in hot water for an hour or so if dried ), then grate, and add them to boiled potatoes while still hot and mash them in with butter, milk or vegan alternatives.

Yes the flavour of truffle will penetrate eggshells... :smile:

You might want to try truffle oil sometime, but with GREAT caution its incredibly strong.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:46 am

Greetings Ben,

I hope your meal turns out better than Cunda's offering to the Buddha, interpreted by some translators as a form of truffle dish.

:stirthepot:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:52 am

Hi Sanghamitta
No, these are fresh truffles. They were in the ground only a day ago!
Yes, I hope to use the offcuts to infuse in a bottle of high-quality extra-virgin olive oil to make my own truffle oil.
I think it would be a good way to preserve some of the truffle flavour and use at a later time as the fresh truffles only have a shelf-life of three weeks, and the winter (white) truffles are three times more expensive than the black summer truffles.
I was planning, at some stage, to baste some peeled potatoes in truffle oil and roast them.
Thanks for your suggestion of mashed truffle potatoes!
metta

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Sanghamitta » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:53 am

and interpreted by others as gone-off pork as you well know Retro.. :smile:

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:55 am

Do Oz truffle farmers use pigs or dogs to find their crop by smell Ben, as they do in Italy and France ?

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Ben » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:59 am

Hi Paul
I hope so too but I am confident that what I am offering to my friends will be fit for human consumption!
And no, I won't be serving pork either!

Hi Sanghamitta,

They use a dog, a springer spaniel.
kind regards

Ben
Attachments
annadogst.jpg
annadogst.jpg (17.72 KiB) Viewed 1231 times

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:49 pm

try All recepies.com they have tones of recepies and many are reviewed by people who have tried the recipies.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Fede » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Tartufo nero, is of course a rich delicacy in Italy, particularly where my parents live, in Umbria (next door to Tuscany).
The scenery in the autumn is simply breathtaking, and the autumnal hues are also celebrated by a great gathering of wild forest mushrooms, and of course, truffles.

Because of the intense ans unique flavour, it's actually best to eat them as simply as possible.
And the best way, is either in a good, rich creamy risotto, or on plain tagliatelle, if possible, made with truffles.

If this appeals, let me know. I'll be happy to supply recipes. (In English.... ;) )
(They may not fit well with the concept of "wellness diet and fitness", but a little of what you fancy, does you good...!)
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/
Fede

Postby Ben » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:24 pm

Thanks Manapa and Fede!
metta

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:48 am

Greetings Ben,

Are you any closer to deciding what the dish will be?

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:46 am

Hi Retro

Sorry for the delay in gettng back to you.
Yes, I have decided the menu plan.

My friend, another 'Ben' is making some ravioli as an entree
As we're having a pasta dish for entree, I've decided against a truffle risotto or truffle tagliatelle and to balance the ravioli with some non-carbo dishes.
Instead, I will make:
- classic black truffle frittata
- stuffed aubergine (eggplant)
- beans uccelletto
- green salad
- ciabatta (currently baking in the oven as we speak)

For the two boys, I'm I'm making pizza and I've just pre-baked the bases. However, I think I've scorched the pizza bases!!
My friend Xavier is bringing a fruit-based desert.
Kind regards

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Fede » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:30 am

all that sweet sand.... clogs the system......

I'd have a sorbet..... :tongue:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/
Fede

Postby jcsuperstar » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:39 am

in America we call some chocolate candies truffles... im not sure if i've ever had a "real" truffle...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi JC
Yes, over here too. Little chocolate balls filled with chocolate ganache.
That is what most people associate with the word 'truffle'.

Real truffles are like a super-intense mushroom but have hints of nut, acid, and even chocolate. The aroma is as intense and as complex as a perfume.
Certainly, it is well worth the experience.

Hi Fede

I have to agree with your sentiments. On a day to day level, we eat very simply.
Tonight was special because it was an opportunity to thank a friend who worked on my car for free and he saved me around $500. So it was a gesture of friendship and gratitude.
Thanks for the recipe!
metta

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Annapurna » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:37 pm

Ben wrote:Hi Sanghamitta
No, these are fresh truffles. They were in the ground only a day ago!
Yes, I hope to use the offcuts to infuse in a bottle of high-quality extra-virgin olive oil to make my own truffle oil.
I think it would be a good way to preserve some of the truffle flavour and use at a later time as the fresh truffles only have a shelf-life of three weeks, and the winter (white) truffles are three times more expensive than the black summer truffles.
I was planning, at some stage, to baste some peeled potatoes in truffle oil and roast them.
Thanks for your suggestion of mashed truffle potatoes!
metta

Ben

Ben, in case you eat meat, and in case you eat lamb, try medium rare lamb chops, in your truffle oil.

That is delicious.
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:20 pm

The truffle is one of those things that make you almost believe nature has a benevolent side. Morels are too. God I love good food,especially involving properly prepared sauteed mushrooms. :lol: I'll never get off this ball of mud.

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
BubbaBuddhist

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:26 pm

Hi Anna

As I said to my friends last night - if someone puts meat on my plate, I'll eat it.
Otherwise, I'm vegetarian.

Hi Jon
You and me both!

I can see the coming of the first DW dinner party.
After meditation, of course!
metta

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Next

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness