What's the hottest it gets to where you live?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Re: What's the hottest it gets to where you live?

Postby zavk » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:04 pm

Ben wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Good for vedananupassana?

Metta,
Retro. :)

Absolutely Retro!
I was actually talking to my wife earlier in the evening, and remarking that how in winter, one is conditioned to turn the heating on, and that this sort of heat is desirable. Yet in summer, the conditioning of the mind is that it is undesirable. After years of hating the heat, I don't anymore. Its just vedana and the rest is just the result of craving and aversion.
Metta

Ben

Yes, I did my very first vipassana (Goenka) course some years ago in summer. Experienced a few days of 30-40-ish degrees weather. It really made it easy for me to understand the basic principles of the technique!

How are you guys coping with the heat so far, Retro and Ben (or anyone else in Melbourne)? You moved in this heat, Ben?! :bow:

I live in a top floor apartment with west-facing windows (which means the sun shines into my flat for a good 8 hours in summer) and no air-conditioning of course. No respite in my office as it is in an old building which is even hotter than home. So I'm working from home with two fans pointed at me. :rolleye:

Metta,
zavk
With metta,
zavk
zavk

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:08 pm

Greetings zavk,

It's casual Friday today at work so that makes it easier. I've got shorts in my briefcase so I will feel cooler before I dare to face the trains this afternoon. I would be wearing them now, but to be honest, no one at work wants to see my hairy legs.

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby jrh001 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:51 pm

jrh001

Postby Individual » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:26 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I'm just wondering what's the hottest it ever gets to in your corner of the world?

It was 43.4 C' yesterday in Melbourne, Australia... 44.0 C' today and should be a cooler 43 C' tomorrow.

For those who think in terms of fahrenheit, today was 111.

This is all perilously close to highest ever January reading of 45.6 C' on 13th January 1939.

I won't tell you about my train trip home... it was a good chance to practice the paramitas. :rofl:

Metta,

Where I live... honestly... has the best climate on earth. Eastern Maryland...

No hurricanes, no tornadoes, no tsunamis, no earthquakes, no wildfires, no rockslides, no avalanches, etc.

Average temperature is 55 degrees annually. In summer, it gets up to around 85 degrees fahrenheit (29 degrees celsius). In winter, it goes down to about 20 degrees fahrenheit (-6 degrees celsius). It rarely moves beyond those two extremes. :)

From what I understand, Australia is too hot, too dry, and there are way too many snakes, spiders, and bugs there that can kill you.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby appicchato » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:52 am

C to F: C x 1.8 + 32 = F

F to C: F - 32 / 1.8 = C
appicchato

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:55 am

In terms of heat, I've got you all beat, though, not that I want to win this one. Las Vegas has at least 10 days per year with temps. over 110 (43 Cel.) and about one day per year with the temperature at 122 (50 Cel.).

It is a dry heat, virtually no humidity (less than 10 percent). So it is basically just like an oven on broil or a microwave on high and when it is windy, just imagine a 'blow-dryer.'
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:01 am

Greetings TheDhamma,

I can relate to that too... it's also a very dry heat you get here. It seems that in humid conditions, it's hard to get up to the 40C' mark... presumably because of the increased number of water particles in the air acting as insulation.

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:37 am

Hi Zavk

Yes, the number of people who attended a ten-day course at Dhamma Aloka in that tiny meditation hall in the middle of a heat wave is incredible. Some of my friends from up here have sat and served during really hot summer heat waves in Woori Yallock. One friend told me that the temperature in the old kitchen reached 55 deg during one summer he served. Fortunately they've built a new .kitchen and dining area which doesn't get so hot though they still have the old dhamma hall which heats up like an oven.
The move has been interesting. I haven't lost my cool despite a massive blow-out of the cost and some damage to the house from the removalists. The kids and I are camping in the house without any furniture except for a tv, this computer and they're sharing a double foam mattress. Not having access to a refrigerator is probably the worst of it. Margarine just turns to liquid and flies that fall out of the air and are crispy before they hit the ground. I guess that's better than being eaten alive by a spider.
I'm just pacing myself with the remaining work. We had the carpets steam cleaned this morning and I'm slowly working my way cleaning and packing the bits and pieces that get left behind.
Kind regards

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Jechbi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:44 am

retrofuturist wrote:I'm just wondering what's the hottest it ever gets to in your corner of the world?

98.6°F (unless I have a fever, then maybe 102°F or so)
:smile:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Postby pink_trike » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:50 am

125 F. I've only experienced 120 F so far.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby Annapurna » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:45 am

TheDhamma wrote:In terms of heat, I've got you all beat, though, not that I want to win this one. Las Vegas has at least 10 days per year with temps. over 110 (43 Cel.) and about one day per year with the temperature at 122 (50 Cel.).

It is a dry heat, virtually no humidity (less than 10 percent). So it is basically just like an oven on broil or a microwave on high and when it is windy, just imagine a 'blow-dryer.'

I have a blowdryer on my knees while typing, because it's freezing cold here and I came in from outside and can't warm up.

.....feels good.

My electricity bill will knock me out.
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:16 pm

I recently moved away from the desert where 115 degrees was typical in the summer. It was pretty hot!
Ngawang Drolma.

What's the hottest it gets to where you live?

Postby GrahamR » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:57 pm

appicchato wrote:I may be about to crawl out on a limb here, but who, besides America and Britain use Fahrenheit?...and I'd venture to say definitely not 'most'...

Be well...and cool... :smile:

[Edited misattributed quote — Dhammanando]

Venerable sir,
We don't officually use Fahrenheit on the UK any more either. It doesn't mean much to me and I'm 47.
By the way it hit a sultry 5C in my town today, though it can reach the mid 30s if there is a good summer. My Thai wife wilts under those conditions!

With Metta :bow:
Graham
With metta :bow:
Graham
GrahamR

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:18 pm

Actually, what I find most difficult is variability. In Asia coping with highs of 35 and lows of 25 or so is OK when in the countryside (not in and out of airconditioning and city streets!) because my body adapts after a few days.

Here in the summer it's not particularly hot but if we get highs of over 30, after a few days where the highs was around 20 even the Thai monks start complaining about the heat... :embarassed:

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:54 pm

Drolma wrote:I recently moved away from the desert where 115 degrees was typical in the summer. It was pretty hot!

Hi Drolma

If you dont mind me asking, where was that (the desert)?
Thanks

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby cooran » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:00 pm

appicchato wrote:In Kanchanaburi Province, Thailand, in March and April, it gets into the (low ) forties, but upper thirties regularly...man, it's hot...(35 today)...

Chris: For most of the world Fahrenheit is the measure used, not Celsius.

I may be about to crawl out on a limb here, but who, besides America and Britain use Fahrenheit?...and I'd venture to say definitely not 'most'...

Be well...and cool... :smile:

[Edited misattributed quote — Dhammanando]

Hello Ven. Appicchato, all,

Yes - you are correct. Thanks. :smile:

Usage
In the United States the Fahrenheit system continues to be the accepted standard for non-scientific use. All other countries have adopted Celsius as the primary scale in use. Fahrenheit is sometimes used by older generations in English speaking countries, especially for measurement of higher temperatures. The United Kingdom has almost exclusively used the Celsius scale since the 1970s, with the notable exception that some broadcasters and publications still quote Fahrenheit air temperatures occasionally in weather forecasts, for the benefit of generations born before about 1950, and air-temperature thermometers sold still show both scales for the same reason.
The Fahrenheit scale was the primary temperature standard for climatic, industrial and medical purposes in most English-speaking countries until the 1960s. In the late 1960s and 1970s, the Celsius (formerly Centigrade) scale was phased in by governments as part of the standardizing process of metrication.
Fahrenheit supporters assert its previous popularity was due to Fahrenheit’s user-friendliness. The unit of measure, being only 5⁄9 the size of the Celsius degree, permits more precise communication of measurements without resorting to fractional degrees. Also, the ambient air temperature in most inhabited regions of the world tends not to go far beyond the range of 0 °F to 100 °F: therefore, the Fahrenheit scale would reflect the perceived ambient temperatures, following 10-degree bands that emerge in the Fahrenheit system. Also, coincidentally, the smallest sensible temperature change averages one Fahrenheit degree; that is, the average person can just detect a temperature difference of a single degree.
But some Celsius supporters argue that their system can be just as natural; for example, they might say that 0–10 °C indicates cold, 10–20 °C mild, 20–30 °C warm and 30–40 °C hot.
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Celsius_vs_Fahrenheit

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby AdvaitaJ » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:29 am

On rare days in midsummer, lower Michigan can see 100-102F. Most "warm" days here are mid-80's F. I used to live near Phoenix, Arizona and summer temps there were routinely 108-114F.

Regards: AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
AdvaitaJ

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:22 am

A few minutes ago the nearest weather station just clocked in at 47.5'C / 117.5'F

:shock:

It's the hottest Melbourne day on record with the city reaching 46.4'C at 3.04pm... overtaking the old record of 45.6'C and by far and away beating the old February record of 43.2'C

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Element » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:25 am

I has not stopped raining here for weeks. But still I can sit with open windows in the fresh air nude, watching lorikeets eat pink gum tree blossums.

Element

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:58 am

Are you sure you wouldn't prefer some white hot Melbourne sun?

White Sun.JPG
White Sun.JPG (16.44 KiB) Viewed 410 times

(taken a few minutes ago...)

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge