Truffles

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
jcsuperstar

Re: Truffles

Post by jcsuperstar »

in America we call some chocolate candies truffles... im not sure if i've ever had a "real" truffle...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi JC
Yes, over here too. Little chocolate balls filled with chocolate ganache.
That is what most people associate with the word 'truffle'.

Real truffles are like a super-intense mushroom but have hints of nut, acid, and even chocolate. The aroma is as intense and as complex as a perfume.
Certainly, it is well worth the experience.

Hi Fede

I have to agree with your sentiments. On a day to day level, we eat very simply.
Tonight was special because it was an opportunity to thank a friend who worked on my car for free and he saved me around $500. So it was a gesture of friendship and gratitude.
Thanks for the recipe!
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Ben wrote:Hi Sanghamitta
No, these are fresh truffles. They were in the ground only a day ago!
Yes, I hope to use the offcuts to infuse in a bottle of high-quality extra-virgin olive oil to make my own truffle oil.
I think it would be a good way to preserve some of the truffle flavour and use at a later time as the fresh truffles only have a shelf-life of three weeks, and the winter (white) truffles are three times more expensive than the black summer truffles.
I was planning, at some stage, to baste some peeled potatoes in truffle oil and roast them.
Thanks for your suggestion of mashed truffle potatoes!
metta

Ben
Ben, in case you eat meat, and in case you eat lamb, try medium rare lamb chops, in your truffle oil.

That is delicious.
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

The truffle is one of those things that make you almost believe nature has a benevolent side. Morels are too. God I love good food,especially involving properly prepared sauteed mushrooms. :lol: I'll never get off this ball of mud.

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Anna

As I said to my friends last night - if someone puts meat on my plate, I'll eat it.
Otherwise, I'm vegetarian.

Hi Jon
You and me both!

I can see the coming of the first DW dinner party.
After meditation, of course!
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Ben wrote:Hi Anna

As I said to my friends last night - if someone puts meat on my plate, I'll eat it.
Otherwise, I'm vegetarian.
:thumbsup: