Zen Forum International: Coming soon!

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
bodom

Re: Zen Forum International: Coming soon!

Post by bodom »

Thats awesome! If i wasnt a Theravada Buddhist i would most definitely be a Soto Zen Budhist.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

m0rl0ck wrote:
Oh Boy! Thank you and good luck with it. I'm looking forward to it :clap:
Thank *you*...
Just make sure you guys bring some of that green beverage over.

:toast:
bodom_bad_boy wrote:Thats awesome! If i wasnt a Theravada Buddhist i would most definitely be a Soto Zen Budhist.
To be honest, maybe its just me, but I have yet to notice any significant difference.

:group:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
bodom

Post by bodom »

christopher::: wrote:
bodom_bad_boy wrote:Thats awesome! If i wasnt a Theravada Buddhist i would most definitely be a Soto Zen Budhist.
To be honest, maybe its just me, but I have yet to notice any significant difference.

:group:
Just the name. Soto Zen reminds me of the Theravada thai forest traditon without the forest. :lol:

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
zavk

Post by zavk »

Can't wait! :clap:
With metta,
zavk

zavk wrote:Can't wait!
zavk!

bodom_bad_boy wrote:
christopher::: wrote:
Just the name. Soto Zen reminds me of the Theravada thai forest traditon without the forest. :lol:
We're perhaps too busy getting s.t.o.n.e.d..?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :jedi:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
chicka-Dee

Post by chicka-Dee »

This is really great!! I will stop by when it is up and running, for sure :thumbsup:
"The image is a dream. The beauty is real. Can you see the difference?" ~Richard Bach from "Illusions"
davcuts

Post by davcuts »

This is great news. At the same time it's a bit sad. Why are people breaking away from e-Sangha? I find it odd I could have asked the questions I've been asking here all along at e-Sangha. I didn't because I didn't feel comfortable doing so. I'm conflicted about why that is.
ShinMeiDokuJoh

Post by ShinMeiDokuJoh »

Dear Christopher, dear all,

this is really good news. I am looking forward for the new Zen Forum :clap:
Pali in Thai Script: http://paliinthaiscript.blogspot.com

Pali Sutta, Gatha and Paritta in Thai Script: http://sutta-sutra-pali-in-thai-script- ... ogspot.com
Dharmajim

Post by Dharmajim »

This is really great news. The Zen tradition has long needed a place for interaction on the web that respects its own view and history.

I also want to give a nod to the people here at Dhamma Wheel for helping to assist in this endeavor; that's a wonderful example of constructive interaction of traditions.

Dharmajim
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

davcuts wrote:Why are people breaking away from e-Sangha?
Remember the Terms of Service you agreed to when you joined this forum?

"Any subject matter that may be off-topic or is intended only to cause disruption or harm to others may be removed without notice. This includes the badmouthing of other Buddhist discussion forums, trolling and proselytizing."

Answering your question will result in badmouthing, don't you think?
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Tex

Post by Tex »

I can only speak for myself, but I haven't broken away from e-Sangha. I still read and post over there -- I'm considering Dhamma Wheel to be a very valuable addition to my online studying, not a replacement. I have a long way to go, I'll learn anywhere I can!
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

davcuts wrote:This is great news. At the same time it's a bit sad. Why are people breaking away from e-Sangha? I find it odd I could have asked the questions I've been asking here all along at e-Sangha. I didn't because I didn't feel comfortable doing so. I'm conflicted about why that is.
No need for anyone to choose one place and reject another.

E-sangha is a wonderful resource. Great teachers, great place to find information. Great place to meet fellow practitioners, to discuss our practice and learn from one another. No Internet forum is going to be perfect. Some people are bound to feel uncomfortable in any forum, encountering challenges and difficulties.

Fortunately, when you are open to it, adversity can be a great great teacher...

:bow: :jedi:

"The results of karma cannot be known by thought, and so should not be speculated about. Thus, thinking, one would come to distraction and distress. Therefore, Ananda, do not be the judge of people; do not make assumptions about others. A person is destroyed by holding judgments about others."

-Anguttura Nikaya

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Adverse circumstances test our courage, our strength of mind, and the depth of our conviction in the Dharma. There is nothing exceptional about practicing Dharma in a good environment and atmosphere. The true test is if we can maintain our practice in adverse conditions.

-Geshe Ngawang Dhargyey, "Advice From a Spiritual Friend"

:heart:
Last edited by christopher::: on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Hi Peter,
Peter wrote:
... Answering your question will result in badmouthing, don't you think?
No, I don't think so. I think it's perfectly possible for people to discuss E-Sangha, and even discribe ways in which it could be improved, without badmouthing E-Sangha. I think people here have demonstrated that.

E-Sangha is great. DhammaWheel.com is a little more comfortable for me personally, in part because DhammaWheel.com moderators and admins actually welcome public criticism of the forum. That makes a huge difference in the overall tone of the board and sense of community. But both boards are a great service.
:focus:

Contrats on the new Zen Forum coming soon. That's awesome.

Metta
:smile:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

e-sangha's "problem" is that they've done a damn good job of keeping out the weirdos, but in doing so it set up rules that are easily broken by groups who though mainstream have ideas that conflict with other (maybe most other?) buddhist groups represented on e-sangha. i'm always supried what gets shut down and what doesnt over there...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
davcuts

Post by davcuts »

Peter wrote:
Remember the Terms of Service you agreed to when you joined this forum?

"Any subject matter that may be off-topic or is intended only to cause disruption or harm to others may be removed without notice. This includes the badmouthing of other Buddhist discussion forums, trolling and proselytizing."

Answering your question will result in badmouthing, don't you think?
It doesn't have to be. There has been a change recently at e-Sangha. Pretending there is not is like not acknowledging a huge elephant in the room. Doesn't mean everyone has to bad mouth it. I'm still a member of e-Sangha and have no desire to leave. Still it's not like it was when I joined almost two years ago. I even stated so at e-Sangha. The fact there is a new Theravada forum, and a new Zen forum shows a lot of other people have noticed that change. Is making these remarks mean I'm bad mouthing e-Sangha? I don't think so. I love e-Sangha and right after I post this I'm going to go there and see what is newly posted. Then I'm off to the Buddhist Lounge, when the new Zen forum opens no doubt I'll want to hang out there as well. :)

Take care,
David