Stair Climbing, walking, bus riding ~ Buddhist Holy Sites

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.

Stair Climbing, walking, bus riding ~ Buddhist Holy Sites

Postby cooran » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:51 am

Hello all,

Just back from spending a wonderful three weeks in N.E. India and Nepal - visited the usual Buddhist Holy Sites and then spending the last week based within walking distance of the Mahabodhi Temple.
Did an all night meditation there - locked in the grounds at 9.00 p.m. and not released until 4.00 a.m. at the earliest. And so it seems were the largest number of howling, fighting, yelping, cushion-stealing homeless dogs in the world. Did a lot of "bearing with".

During this last week we also visited Nalanda, plus The site of the Fire Sermon, and the caves of the Site of the First Council.

The last two need one to have a fair degree of physical fitness as well as common sense - Maoists are active in the area, and our group had to stay within sight of each other while climbing to the Site of the First Council. Hundreds of stairs need to be climbed at each of these two sites, and we went even further up at the site of the Fire Sermon ... right up to a Hindu temple on the peak above. The views from all the sites were incredible, as well as their feeling of power .... similar to the power emanating from the Mahabodhi temple during meditation near it.

I learned not to worry about being un-ladylike and panting and sweating .... or even leaning on the wall while gasping loudly.

I also discovered that there is a different art to coming down - especially if you have sore calf muscles ~ it worked better for me to lead with the sore leg.

Didn't want to come home - could have stayed another few months .... but, not being a millionaire and having bill to pay, I needed to come back to work.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Re: Stair Climbing, walking, bus riding ~ Buddhist Holy Sites

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:56 am

Greetings Chris,

I'm very pleased for you to have had this fine opportunity and I hope it inspires you to muster up Right Effort and strive on towards the goal!

:thumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:03 am

Welcome home Chris!
So, when's the slide-show night at your place?
metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:15 pm

cooran wrote: Hundreds of stairs need to be climbed at each of these two sites, and we went even further up at the site of the Fire Sermon ...

Excellent! I'm glad you had a good time! I was there in 2006 and miss Bodh Gaya and the other sites already.

I like the title of this thread (I do stair climbing for fitness).
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Ben wrote:So, when's the slide-show night at your place?

And DW!
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby BlackBird » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Good stuff Chris :anjali:

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby cooran » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:59 am

Ben wrote:Welcome home Chris!
So, when's the slide-show night at your place?
metta

Ben

Hello Ben and all,

My camera, and my skill in photography, aren't of a very high standard - so maybe you might like to flick through these photos posted by a friend of mine on Flicker:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jo_beth/co ... 486074081/

with metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Sobeh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:09 am

How are all these things viewed out that way? I recall, for example, visiting Scotland and being rather shocked at the casual spray-painting of the lower walls of Edinburgh Castle by local youths. Is there a certain cavalier acceptance of what they live around, by and large, or are the majority of people proud of it all, or is it just a source of livelihood based on tourism for most people, or what?
Sobeh

Postby cooran » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:27 am

Hello Sobeh,all,

BodhGaya is a World Heritage Site, not sure about the others, and all are conserved and protected by the Archeological Survey of India:
http://asi.nic.in/
http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1056

Bodhgaya is also a Hindu Holy place with many Hindu followers also walking around the terraces.
http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Places/District/625765

Yes, there are stalls and businesses who depend on pilgrims for their livelihood - but I saw no neglect or vandalising of the sites in any way.

with metta
Chris
cooran

Postby appicchato » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:51 am

Hi Chris...please tell your friend one more person thinks she has taken some beautiful photographs...thank you...
appicchato

Return to Shrine Room