Monk for a Month?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Cittasanto

Monk for a Month?

Post by Cittasanto »

Just went to my face book account and noticed this link on the side
so done a search and found this http://monkforamonth.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what does everyone think of this?
I think it is a bit strange although I have heard of another temple doing the same thing.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
bodom

Re: Monk for a Month?

Post by bodom »

Thats awesome. Im there man! Seriously though that would be so cool. The site looks legit. It speaks of the 4 noble truths, eightfold path and the 5, 8 and 10 precepts. I wish i had the time and opportunity to do it. I think its pretty cool and is a good way to bring buddhism to the general public. Good avertising for once!

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

it doesn't look to different from going on retreat to me, only less strict.
the retreat I go on twice a year is one meal a day, silent, and walking and sitting meditation all day with a dhamma talk last every day from a monk
5:30am: Wake-up bell.
6:00: Morning sitting.
7:00: Tea, wash etc.
8:00: Work period.
8:40: Meditation (walking and sitting) and Dhamma Talk.
11:00: Meal, clean up, break.
1:20: Meditation (walking and sitting with a tea break).
5:40: Break and hot drink.
6:40: Meditation (walking and sitting).
8:00: Evening sitting and Dhamma Talk.
9:15: Free time.
10:00: Lights out

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

And amazingly, the four-week options costs less than $700 USD. That's pretty cheap. Still, there is at least one free alternative, though it lasts just 10 days and you don't get to be ordained or referred to as a monk.
:smile:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Greetings Jechbi,
Jechbi wrote:And amazingly, the four-week options costs less than $700 USD. That's pretty cheap. Still, there is at least one free alternative, though it lasts just 10 days and you don't get to be ordained or referred to as a monk.
In fact, in most Wats, in Thailand or elsewhere, you can do retreats for free (but of course making donations is always good). The $700 sounds like a good donation level...

And being a monk for a few weeks or months is something most Thai men do at some point. The "Home Wat" back in Bangkok of my local Wat ordains a couple of hundred young people for a month or so over Songkran every year, but of course they are catering to Thai speakers.

That particular "monk for a month" option looks genuine and would probably be really good for someone who wants to do it and has no Thai contacts.
:bow:

Metta
Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

Jechbi wrote:And amazingly, the four-week options costs less than $700 USD. That's pretty cheap. Still, there is at least one free alternative, though it lasts just 10 days and you don't get to be ordained or referred to as a monk.
Hi Jechbi
I'm intending to do a 30-day vipassana retreat later this year. I will be planning to dana an amount close to $US700.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Individual

Post by Individual »

Manapa wrote:Just went to my face book account and noticed this link on the side
so done a search and found this http://monkforamonth.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what does everyone think of this?
I think it is a bit strange although I have heard of another temple doing the same thing.
It's not even that expensive... I'd love to do this! :shock:
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

that does look really good, not that expensive either
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

It's all relative folks...a Thai ordaining for a month (or even longer) would give closer to one hundred (this Caucasian as well)...being in Thailand, one might wonder how this (seven hundred) squares with the Thai monks (at this wat)...

Be well... :smile:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Dear Venerable,

What you say is, of course, true. I would certainly not want to say anything negative about that particular Wat - I know nothing about them, but clearly there are many cheap/free options in Thailand. And there are many advantages to the student when Dhamma and accomodation are freely given and dana can then also be freely given. For one thing, it completely destroys the feelings that tends to arise from the idea that "I paid for this". Those can be a huge hindrance at times when things don't seem to be going so well (which are inevitable on retreat...).

Also, if one has no idea about Thailand this sounds like a safe option (though I have no knowledge of this particular Wat - I'd to a little investigation if I were considering it). And as Ben says it's certainly not an unreasonable donation for someone from Australia, USA, etc. And it's a lot less than what organisations such as IMS in the US charge to maintain their accommodation.

Metta
Mike
GrahamR

Monk for a Month?

Post by GrahamR »

appicchato wrote:It's all relative folks...a Thai ordaining for a month (or even longer) would give closer to one hundred (this Caucasian as well)...being in Thailand, one might wonder how this (seven hundred) squares with the Thai monks (at this wat)...

Venerable sir,

Can I ask how many men will study for a month nowadays? Most I know of may do it for a week or more commonly three days or in some cases even one day! Maybe this in Bangkok culture and things are better outside.

With Metta :bow:
Graham
With metta :bow:
Graham
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

one of the posters on e-sangha runs that monk for a month deal. i think you study with him and not with other monks or something, i'm not sure, but theres a thread on it over there. it seems like itd be the safest option for someone wanting the experience but not wanting/having the time to find a wat that would take a non thai speaking person etc.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

there are many free alternatives, the routine I posted above is from such a place and the length of stay is something which can increase, as well as becoming a Monk, something not done at goenka as it is a retreat centre

John Stuart Mill
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

GrahamR wrote:Can I ask how many men will study for a month nowadays? Most I know of may do it for a week or more commonly three days or in some cases even one day! Maybe this in Bangkok culture and things are better outside.
Hi Graham,

It's any, and all, of the above...(it seems) every wat/area has a different take on things...where I am (Kanchanaburi), two weeks is pretty much the minimum, with increasing increments after that, depending on other factors...

appicchato

Post by appicchato »

mikenz66 wrote:And there are many advantages to the student when Dhamma and accomodation are freely given and dana can then also be freely given.
:thumbsup: