The Bodhisattva Vows

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
piper

The Bodhisattva Vows

Post by piper »

I'm curious about the Bodhisattva vows and what they might mean to serious practitioners who make these vows. People who've taken the precepts, refuge, or just recite them regularly.

I've had a recent experience that leads me to believe that many "serious" practitioners may not actually take these vows very seriously. That is they readily abandon them when they become too challenging. Granted they are "impossible" vows, never the less does it not disparage the Buddhadhamma to make such vows and subsequently not try so hard to live up to them?

Please share any thoughts you might have on the subject, thanks.
tiltbillings

Re: The Bodhisattva Vows

Post by tiltbillings »

piper wrote:I'm curious about the Bodhisattva vows and what they might mean to serious practitioners who make these vows. People who've taken the precepts, refuge, or just recite them regularly.

I've had a recent experience that leads me to believe that many "serious" practitioners may not actually take these vows very seriously. That is they readily abandon them when they become too challenging. Granted they are "impossible" vows, never the less does it not disparage the Buddhadhamma to make such vows and subsequently not try so hard to live up to them?

Please share any thoughts you might have on the subject, thanks.
The question is: Is there really a need for such vows, given that the Buddha taught such a need or such vows?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
piper

Post by piper »

tiltbillings wrote:The question is: Is there really a need for such vows, given that the Buddha taught such a need or such vows?
Hi Tiltbillings,

... sssshhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww ... [sound of question flying over head]
bodom

Post by bodom »

piper wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:The question is: Is there really a need for such vows, given that the Buddha taught such a need or such vows?
Hi Tiltbillings,

... sssshhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww ... [sound of question flying over head]
The Buddha did not teach the bodhisattva path or bodhisattva vows in the pali tipitaka of Theravada Buddhism.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
piper

Post by piper »

:embarassed: I'm always getting my traditions mixed up!

At least I put it in the free-for-all section.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

piper wrote::embarassed: I'm always getting my traditions mixed up!

At least I put it in the free-for-all section.
You might want to ask your question here:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
piper

Post by piper »

Thanks!