The Bodhisattva Vows

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

The Bodhisattva Vows

Postby piper » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:22 pm

I'm curious about the Bodhisattva vows and what they might mean to serious practitioners who make these vows. People who've taken the precepts, refuge, or just recite them regularly.

I've had a recent experience that leads me to believe that many "serious" practitioners may not actually take these vows very seriously. That is they readily abandon them when they become too challenging. Granted they are "impossible" vows, never the less does it not disparage the Buddhadhamma to make such vows and subsequently not try so hard to live up to them?

Please share any thoughts you might have on the subject, thanks.
piper

Re: The Bodhisattva Vows

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:26 pm

piper wrote:I'm curious about the Bodhisattva vows and what they might mean to serious practitioners who make these vows. People who've taken the precepts, refuge, or just recite them regularly.

I've had a recent experience that leads me to believe that many "serious" practitioners may not actually take these vows very seriously. That is they readily abandon them when they become too challenging. Granted they are "impossible" vows, never the less does it not disparage the Buddhadhamma to make such vows and subsequently not try so hard to live up to them?

Please share any thoughts you might have on the subject, thanks.
The question is: Is there really a need for such vows, given that the Buddha taught such a need or such vows?
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby piper » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:38 pm

tiltbillings wrote:The question is: Is there really a need for such vows, given that the Buddha taught such a need or such vows?

Hi Tiltbillings,

... sssshhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww ... [sound of question flying over head]
piper

Postby bodom » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:43 pm

piper wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:The question is: Is there really a need for such vows, given that the Buddha taught such a need or such vows?

Hi Tiltbillings,

... sssshhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww ... [sound of question flying over head]

The Buddha did not teach the bodhisattva path or bodhisattva vows in the pali tipitaka of Theravada Buddhism.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby piper » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:10 pm

:embarassed: I'm always getting my traditions mixed up!

At least I put it in the free-for-all section.
piper

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:12 pm

piper wrote::embarassed: I'm always getting my traditions mixed up!

At least I put it in the free-for-all section.

You might want to ask your question here:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby piper » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:35 pm

Thanks!
piper

Return to Open Dhamma