Aspiration, Vows and Choice

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Re: Aspiration, Vows and Choice

Postby Will » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:49 pm

I believe we should aspire to whatever we want to.

Here is Jeffrey Samuels from an old article:

In the Sampasaadaniiyasutta of the Diigha Nikaaya, for instance, Saariputta is professed to have said: "In the presence of the Exalted One have I heard him say and from him have received, that... in times gone by and in future times there have been, and will be other Supreme Buddhas equal to himself [i.e., Gotama] in the matter of Enlightenment." Thus, no longer is the term "bodhisattva" used solely in conjunction with Gotama, with other past buddhas, and with Maitreya; the bodhisattva-yaana is regarded as a possible, albeit difficult, path open to anyone who desires buddhahood.

Why say this if Arahants were all he wanted his Dhamma to produce?

Some more from Ven. Rahula: http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/ebdha126.htm
This noble eightfold path is the ancient path traveled by all the Buddhas of eons past. Nagara Sutta
Will

Postby clw_uk » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:53 pm

The Buddha wanted all those he taught to realise nibbana for themselves in the here and now. He wanted us to get out of samsara now, not practice to spend more time in it, I dont believe that he taught that way.
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:13 pm

clw_uk wrote:The Buddha wanted all those he taught to realise nibbana for themselves in the here and now. He wanted us to get out of samsara now, not practice to spend more time in it, I dont believe that he taught that way.

I am so fond of this reminder. Thank you :namaste:
Ngawang Drolma.

Postby clw_uk » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:13 pm

Your most welcome :namaste:
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Previous

Return to General Theravāda discussion